Trip Report: Houston to Baton Rouge (total ~600 miles round trip)

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
We did a trip from Houston to Baton Rouge this weekend for our daughter to do a campus tour of LSU. This was a planned trip, and the first real "road trip" with the Taycan
  • Left Houston with 100% SOC
  • Stopped at the EA charger off of I-10 in Vidor (just outside Beaumont) as the morning coffee had worked it's way through all passengers systems. We had travelled 120 miles and SOC was 50%. Plug and Charge worked perfectly. We went into Walmart, used the bathroom and came back out to the car charged up to 91%
  • We stopped again at the EA Charger in Lafayette. We had travelled ~140 miles and SOC was 42%. Plug and Charge worked perfectly. We were going to Baton Rouge (another 58 miles), but then coming back and staying overnight in Lafayette. Another bathroom break, and came out to the car charged up to 83%
  • We drove on to Baton Rouge, drove around a little bit, had lunch, did the tour then headed back to Lafayette. There was no charger at our hotel in Lafayette, so we stopped back at the EA fast charger. Here we had the only "hick-up" of the trip. Plug and Charge worked perfectly, but the first station we tried only put out a max of 32kW. We then tried the second spot, and the max was only 73kW. On the 3rd spot, the max went up to 115kW. I am not sure what was going on, but something seemed to be limiting the speed of the chargers. We did get charged up to 84%, it just took a few mins longer.
  • We stayed overnight in Lafayette and drove around a bit there. We left the next day with ~82% SOC
  • On the way home, we stopped again at the EA charger in Vidor. Arrival SOC was 22%. The charge was great there, hitting 257kW! We went from 22% to 83% in 19 min.
Overall a great trip. Plug and Charge worked perfectly at every stop, even the multiple plugs and unplugs on the second stop in Lafayette.
Sponsored

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
We did a trip from Houston to Baton Rouge this weekend for our daughter to do a campus tour of LSU. This was a planned trip, and the first real "road trip" with the Taycan
  • Stopped at the EA charger off of I-10 in Vidor (just outside Beaumont) as the morning coffee had worked it's way through all passengers systems. We had travelled 120 miles and SOC was 50%. Plug and Charge worked perfectly. We went into Walmart, used the bathroom and came back out to the car charged up to 91%
  • We stopped again at the EA Charger in Lafayette. We had travelled ~140 miles and SOC was 42%. Plug and Charge worked perfectly. We were going to Baton Rouge (another 58 miles), but then coming back and staying overnight in Lafayette. Another bathroom break, and came out to the car charged up to 83%
  • We drove on to Baton Rouge, drove around a little bit, had lunch, did the tour then headed back to Lafayette. There was no charger at our hotel in Lafayette, so we stopped back at the EA fast charger. Here we had the only "hick-up" of the trip. Plug and Charge worked perfectly, but the first station we tried only put out a max of 32kW. We then tried the second spot, and the max was only 73kW. On the 3rd spot, the max went up to 115kW. I am not sure what was going on, but something seemed to be limiting the speed of the chargers. We did get charged up to 84%, it just took a few mins longer.
  • We stayed overnight in Lafayette and drove around a bit there. We left the next day with ~82% SOC
  • On the way home, we stopped again at the EA charger in Vidor. Arrival SOC was 22%. The charge was great there, hitting 257kW! We went from 22% to 83% in 19 min.
Overall a great trip. Plug and Charge worked perfectly at every stop, even the multiple plugs and unplugs on the second stop in Lafayette.
Love the positive experience, thx for sharing - giving me faith in some parts of the infrastructure :)!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
this is a great report - one thing it’s hard to know what the actual charge rate is going to be with less than 5-8 min charging - sometimes it just takes a while for the charge rate to ramp up - other times it is in fact the charging stall being “slower” - it’s just so hard to tell

I’ve found giving it at least 5 min before declaring a charging stall “slow” tends to be the “real” charge rate you’re going to achieve l- but then you’ve wasted five min waiting for a slower charge rate - it’s a hard call - but just FYI the initial charge rate is sometimes not indicative of what you’ll achieve if you let it sit and work…but again it could be.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
That's great news for me as we often make the trip to Destin, and the next one would be the first w/ a BEV.

OP
OP
Klepper

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
this is a great report - one thing it’s hard to know what the actual charge rate is going to be with less than 5-8 min charging - sometimes it just takes a while for the charge rate to ramp up - other times it is in fact the charging stall being “slower” - it’s just so hard to tell

I’ve found giving it at least 5 min before declaring a charging stall “slow” tends to be the “real” charge rate you’re going to achieve l- but then you’ve wasted five min waiting for a slower charge rate - it’s a hard call - but just FYI the initial charge rate is sometimes not indicative of what you’ll achieve if you let it sit and work…but again it could be.
Ah, thanks for the advice. Maybe I just didn't wait long enough for it to ramp-up.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Other pics from the trip:
346C9FBE-218C-4FFB-96E0-98B3AF1F0549.jpeg
92CE026A-0C66-409F-92FC-5ABBBBDF1C0F.jpeg
It's nice to see the stations are still empty, but I wonder how long that would last, and we'd have to wait in line just to be able to get a charge.

OP
OP
Klepper

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
It's nice to see the stations are still empty, but I wonder how long that would last, and we'd have to wait in line just to be able to get a charge.
In two days of driving and charging, we didn't run into any other cars at any of the charging stations.
Sponsored