Trip Report: my first relative long distance trip - about 350 miles

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
OP, sounds like you made a lot of mistakes that made things a lot worse and/or you were driving a route with few charging options. Should have been at most two stops, possibly one.

Your first clue should have been when the Nav said you needed three charging stops.
Sponsored

Reactions: B61

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
if you "tap" on a charger in the PCM Navigation - and select the charger's address it should pre-heat the battery prior to arrival if the PCM Nav "knows" you are heading to a charger…in practice pre-heating really only works for charge sessions more than 150 kW - if you're targeting a 150 kW (or less) charging stop in my experience it makes very little difference…

YMMV

Loltheinternet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Range Rover L405, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
What I do on longer trips is use Google Maps / Waze until I'm about ~30min away from my charging destination, then quickly flip over to the Porsche nav so the battery preconditioning can begin. That way I don't get crazy routings and don't have to deal with the Porsche UI for the majority of the time, but still get the preconditioning benefit.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
road tripping in an EV requires some mental preparation - gas cars are easier/faster - but EV's don't have to be this bad…

I prefer driving the Taycan (or most EV's) so much over most any other vehicle that I'm willing to make the trade off…but it is a trade off - it's less dramatic if you go in eye's open…but none the less it will take longer than a gas car.

cold weather does not help:
  • it saps range - for sooooo many reason - 30% hit to range no uncommon
  • harder to fast charge if battery is cold
  • running the vehicle heater during charging session slows down charge rate
  • not "nice" to walk around and get exercise while the vehicle is charging
the rest of the year it doesn't matter.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My suggestion: before you leave, find the EA sites along or near your route, using google maps, EA locate map, or ABRP. Set your destination in the Taycan nav, then manually add each of the EA sites along your route as waypoints. Don't depend on the Taycan nav to pick the charging stations along a 350 mile trip. (I have seen the Taycan nav unit recommend a Shell recharge site with lower capacity than a better EA site located half a mile away. And, in trips to Indianapolis, the nav unit recommended charging at Indy airport instead of EA.)

Looking at the Peoria - Columbus trip, there are EA stations at Bloomington, Indianapolis(2 sites), Dayton, and Columbus. I would have charged at all four locations, just in case I encountered a problem at the next location.

In my mind the actual limitation in long trips is not the Taycan's range, it is the possibility of not being able to charge at the next desired charging location. So instead of basing charging stops on Taycan's remaining range or some target SOC, try to ensure you stop so you can make it to another charging site in case that one doesn't work, is really slow, or you have to wait.

It sounds like you are using range mode. On long trips I have taken, the nav unit's range mode suggestions seem to space out charging stops by reducing the remaining SOC at each stop. I'd rather stop more often and not have to sweat out running low. I don't use range mode navigation for that reason.

The Taycan nav unit is good at estimating estimated range and time at arrival, but you cannot depend on it to pick the best charging stops on long trips. Enter those manually.

I hope this helps. And, congrats on being a 700-mile Taycan roadtripper! :like:

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Perf, Genesis GV60 Perf, Audi Q5 TDi
Country flag
Should have been at most two stops, possibly one...Your first clue should have been when the Nav said you needed three charging stops.
Even ABRP suggests 3 stops - it's a matter of charger location, road speed and ambient temperature, not simply the car's rated range plotted against the trip distance...

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
cold weather does not help:
  • it saps range - for sooooo many reason - 30% hit to range no uncommon
  • harder to fast charge if battery is cold
  • running the vehicle heater during charging session slows down charge rate
  • not "nice" to walk around and get exercise while the vehicle is charging
the rest of the year it doesn't matter.
Thanks for tip about running heater slowing down charge rate. I wouldn't have imagined that would be the case.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Even ABRP suggests 3 stops - it's a matter of charger location, road speed and ambient temperature, not simply the car's rated range plotted against the trip distance...
Really? I didn’t know that…

You note that I said possibly he was on a route with few charging locations. Oh and his speed was one of the mistakes I was referring to in my post.

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Really? I didn’t know that…

You note that I said possibly he was on a route with few charging locations. Oh and his speed was one of the mistakes I was referring to in my post.
Yep, and I also noted that you criticized the OP without bothering to investigate his route or actually help...

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
you should eliminate the first stop at 50 miles. it probably is not needed

OP
OP
Bresdo1962

Bresdo1962

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS
Country flag
you should eliminate the first stop at 50 miles. it probably is not needed
That is impossible...after charging in the first stop I reached the 2nd with only 17 miles left

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yep, and I also noted that you criticized the OP without bothering to investigate his route or actually help...
Except I just did investigate the route:CWL: and Plug Share shows dozens of charging stations between Peoria and Columbus. Should have been easy to make it in two stops this time of year. OP erred in relying on the PCM. And driving too fast. Just as I said originally.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
That is impossible...after charging in the first stop I reached the 2nd with only 17 miles left
Going 90 and relying on the PCM…

All you needed to easily get to your destination in two stops was 130 miles of range each time, which is easily doable even in 45 degree weather. Try using Plug Share to find chargers versus the Nav.

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Was curious how your experience was so bad so I mapped your trip in ABRP based on your usage.

I bet you could make both trips easily under 6 hours. The problem is Porsche’s charging planner, nav, and PIRM are really bad at planning and mapping.

This look familiar for your outbound trip? I set the ref consumption at 275 and ref speed at 140%.
Porsche Taycan Trip Report: my first relative long distance trip - about 350 miles DD0F4AA1-314E-468A-AD26-3466092D6421

Using the same settings you should be able to get a return trip like below:
Porsche Taycan Trip Report: my first relative long distance trip - about 350 miles E2BE4CDF-49C5-4007-A33A-59EE0D938C3B

You do need to mind your speed on certain legs since there are big gaps between charging stations.

I find using Porsche nav just to keep tabs on arrival SoC is all it’s good for. Disable PIRM and charge planner. Also, if you do use the charge planner or PIRM make sure your target arrival SoC is set low enough, say 5% so it doesn’t try to route you unnecessarily.

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Except I just did investigate the route:CWL: and Plug Share shows dozens of charging stations between Peoria and Columbus. Should have been easy to make it in two stops this time of year. OP erred in relying on the PCM. And driving too fast. Just as I said originally.
Or, you know, you could just let ABRP plan the best/most efficient/quickest route for the speed and conditions, just as I said initially:
https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=69aa0ad6-c289-4ebf-9822-3fd912c8d506

The trip could be done in fewer stops or at a slower speed as long as you don't mind the overall trip taking longer.... 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored