daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
the point here isn't could it be done better - the point here is that people should not have to deal with this sort of crap - Porsche's software is to blame here - and if it was better a whole bunch of pain and missed expectations would've been avoided.

for EV's to take off the OP is not the only person that will be bitten by this - and that is simply not how it should be...

lessons can be learned, but it would be best for EV's and infrastructure to evolve to a point that this sort of thing is uncommon to almost impossible.

however that is not today - so planning for road trips with an EV is necessary - I hope software can catch up to make this sort of issue less frequent…

apologies to the OP from the EV community - my sincere hope is that you do not let this one experience sour you on the potential with EV's - I think road tripping with an EV can enjoyable and mostly practical - but it does at this point in time require some planning and preparations…it will get better over time.

enjoy your Taycan - it's a great car!
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I think road tripping with an EV can enjoyable and mostly practical - but it does at this point in time require some planning and preparations…it will get better over time.

enjoy your Taycan - it's a great car!
route planning is crucial, I liken it to being the pilot of a small plane, you always need to know your limits and were you must charge.
I can spend a huge amount of time planning trips to places that I am going to for the first time.
over the years I've driven from FLA to the NYC area, to chicago, to dallas and to ski areas in CO. I map out the route, fine tune it, note alternatives in case the EA units fail me. I plan longer charge sessions around meal breaks and overnight stays.
the key is planning.
FWIW: never depend on the Nav system for your initial routings.
I will plug in the next EA charger about 50 miles out in order to allow for the nav to prep the battery.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Was curious how your experience was so bad so I mapped your trip in ABRP based on your usage.

I bet you could make both trips easily under 6 hours. The problem is Porsche’s charging planner, nav, and PIRM are really bad at planning and mapping.

This look familiar for your outbound trip? I set the ref consumption at 275 and ref speed at 140%.
DD0F4AA1-314E-468A-AD26-3466092D6421.png

Using the same settings you should be able to get a return trip like below:
E2BE4CDF-49C5-4007-A33A-59EE0D938C3B.png

You do need to mind your speed on certain legs since there are big gaps between charging stations.

I find using Porsche nav just to keep tabs on arrival SoC is all it’s good for. Disable PIRM and charge planner. Also, if you do use the charge planner or PIRM make sure your target arrival SoC is set low enough, say 5% so it doesn’t try to route you unnecessarily.
If you are recommending arriving at Indianapolis and Bloomington EA locations with 4%, 5%, and 6% SOC, you have a lot more faith in EA than I do.

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
If you are recommending arriving at Indianapolis and Bloomington EA locations with 4%, 5%, and 6% SOC, you have a lot more faith in EA than I do.
Not my recommendation, just an example to show how one plans with ABRP. You are of course free to charge to a higher SoC to suit your comfort level and experience.

There is also that other element of charger reliability that PlugShare app is best to support.
Sponsored