Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Just ordered myself one of these, will be a handy little accessory to throw in the trunk of my car in for multiple situations:

1. Multiple free Tesla lvl 2 public destination chargers where I live

2. Many of my friends who have Tesla mobile connectors at their home who are more than OK with me borrowing some charge if I really need it, only need a compatible adapter.

3. We also have a spare Tesla mobile charging cable that is much smaller and lighter than my Porsche Mobile charger cable that I use to plug it at work on their 110V parking lot outlet to grab some free charge while I'm working long days.

EVCARS Tesla to SAE J1772 Adapter 16A 32A Max 40A 250V Apply to Tesla Wallbox Charger Connector/Destination Charging/Mobile Connector (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09574B7H...t_i_DZP2HMYZJMGS5H1BG9E9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Porsche Taycan Trying out a Tesla - > J1772 40A rated plug adapter FB_IMG_1643218832291

Porsche Taycan Trying out a Tesla - > J1772 40A rated plug adapter FB_IMG_1643218835310

Porsche Taycan Trying out a Tesla - > J1772 40A rated plug adapter FB_IMG_1643218837804

So it arrived yesterday so I tested it out on our Tesla mobile wall charger and it worked great during my overnight charge ??

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
I have the exact same one, but the white version. Bought it almost as a lark, didn't think it would work 100%.

I was totally wrong! Works great. Handy to have in my trunk if I'm downtown near a Tesla charger. Plus there's the small pleasure of "sticking it" to Elon, if only a tiny bit LOL.

GAS X

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Model Y
Country flag
I have the exact same one, but the white version. Bought it almost as a lark, didn't think it would work 100%.

I was totally wrong! Works great. Handy to have in my trunk if I'm downtown near a Tesla charger. Plus there's the small pleasure of "sticking it" to Elon, if only a tiny bit LOL.
Nice idea but I think you'll be disappointed if you try it on a Tesla Supercharger (if that was your intent). That charging requires a "handshake" to get electricity which anything other than a Tesla will not provide. A destination charger, however, will work; no "handshake" required. But only the EVSE is provided by Tesla; installation and juice provided by the local establishment. Still, the adaptor adds another batch of power sources. Good deal!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Just ordered myself one of these, will be a handy little accessory to throw in the trunk of my car in for multiple situations:

1. Multiple free Tesla lvl 2 public destination chargers where I live

2. Many of my friends who have Tesla mobile connectors at their home who are more than OK with me borrowing some charge if I really need it, only need a compatible adapter.

3. We also have a spare Tesla mobile charging cable that is much smaller and lighter than my Porsche Mobile charger cable that I use to plug it at work on their 110V parking lot outlet to grab some free charge while I'm working long days.

EVCARS Tesla to SAE J1772 Adapter 16A 32A Max 40A 250V Apply to Tesla Wallbox Charger Connector/Destination Charging/Mobile Connector (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09574B7H...t_i_DZP2HMYZJMGS5H1BG9E9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

FB_IMG_1643218832291.jpg

FB_IMG_1643218835310.jpg

FB_IMG_1643218837804.jpg

So it arrived yesterday so I tested it out on our Tesla mobile wall charger and it worked great during my overnight charge ??
the standard Taycan comes with a 48 amp AC L2 onboard charger - if you use this at a Tesla Destination charger that can charge at 40 or 48 amps you may melt/overwhelm a the adapter if it’s only rated for 32 amp charging load…

personally I prefer the teslaTap 60 amp charger (80 amp if you have the optional north american 19.2 kW onboard charging options) and the design has a flexible cable which means it sticks out less when plugged into the car, is flexible, and does not have all this weight extending out from the vehicle which adds “ft/lbs” of torque to the weight of the charging cable…

if your using that adatper at a Hotel or business with a 60 amp Tesla Charger (there are lot of them) I’d monitor the adapter to make sure it does not overheat.

DRR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2021 Model Y Performance
Country flag
the standard Taycan comes with a 48 amp AC L2 onboard charger - if you use this at a Tesla Destination charger that can charge at 40 or 48 amps you may melt/overwhelm a the adapter if it’s only rated for 32 amp charging load…

personally I prefer the teslaTap 60 amp charger (80 amp if you have the optional north american 19.2 kW onboard charging options) and the design has a flexible cable which means it sticks out less when plugged into the car, is flexible, and does not have all this weight extending out from the vehicle which adds “ft/lbs” of torque to the weight of the charging cable…

if your using that adatper at a Hotel or business with a 60 amp Tesla Charger (there are lot of them) I’d monitor the adapter to make sure it does not overheat.
Question from a new Taycan 4S owner here with 19.2 charger. I have a nema 14-50 outlet with a Tesla MCC for my wife’s Model Y. What adapter do you suggest for my Taycan. Teslatap 80 amp?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Question from a new Taycan 4S owner here with 19.2 charger. I have a nema 14-50 outlet with a Tesla MCC for my wife’s Model Y. What adapter do you suggest for my Taycan. Teslatap 80 amp?
yes the Tesla MCC (Tesla Universal Mobile Charger gen2) that is standard with the Model Y is a 32 amp EVSE that plugs into NEMA 14-50 outlet - any TeslaTap with the Tesla UMC will charge your Taycan just fine.

if all you ever used was your Model Y's charger you do not need the 80 amp Tesla Tap (the Model Y UMC gen 2 is a 32 amp charger) - you get the 80 amp Tesla Tap so that when you encounter other Tesla Wall Chargers that may be 60/70/80 amp EVSE's you don't "melt" the TeslaTap while charging your Taycan.

You can charge your Taycan with a Tesla Mobile Charger (Gen1 or Gen2) or Tesla Wall Charger (gen1, gen2, gen3) with a TeslaTap - TeslaTap are _NOT_ for Tesla Superchargers and simply won't work -not to mention they don't even connect to the FastDC input pins on any CCS vehicle including the Taycan.

if you have a standard Taycan all you need is a 60 amp TeslaTap to handle the Taycan's maximum 11 kW load and not melt the TeslaTap…

if you have the optional 19.2 kW North American charging option you should have an 80 amp TeslaTap since if you encounter a 19.2 kW Tesla Wall Charger Gen1/Gen2 you'll need the extra beefy capacity of the 80 amp model to handle the charging load and not melt/short/fault during longer charging sessions.

NOTE: TeslaTaps are _NOT_ active adapters they are passive "pass-through devices" - a 32 amp TeslaTap does _NOT_ limit your charging session to 32 amps - the amp rating for a TeslaTap is an indication of how robust the the connectors/wire-gauge is inside the TeslaTap to handle greater powerflow/electrical-current during higher capacity charging session. You can use a 32 amp TeslaTap w/19.2 kW Tesla Wall Charger gen2 and a 19.2 kW Taycan and when you plug in the Taycan and the Wall charger will happily charge at 19.2 kW (80 amps) - but OMG - not so sure the 32 amp TeslaTap will last without melting/shorting/faulting with actual potential fire risk and potential damage to your charging port when the plastic on the TeslaTap melts due to overheating…TeslaTap's are a mostly passive adatper that simply lets the power flow from one side of the adapter to the other - given the amount of power that can flow it's important to puchase a Tap that is beefy/robust enough to handle your Taycan's maximum power flow (48 amps for standard Taycan, 80 amps for a 19.2 kW Taycan)

TeslaTap does NOT control the charging session - it's simply "patches" the wires between the two separate connector shapes so that the Taycan can "talk" to the Tesla EVSE and vice versa - the TeslaTap lets a 19.2kW/80amp Taycan "talk" to a 19.2kW/80amp Tesla gen2 Wall Charger - and if the Taycan and Tesla charger agree 80 amps is a good idea - they will then happily begin pushing 80amps of power over your 32 amp TeslaTap - it will actually most likely and physically "melt" after more than 30 minutes of this type of electrical load and is actually physically dangerous because once it starts melting it could cause an electrical short and potentially a fire (although the EVSE should cut out the power flow once connections start to get flaky but who knows what will fail first when stuff like this starts happening).

TeslaTap works great with any non-supercharger Tesla EVSE (charger) - just get one beefy enough not to melt based on your Taycan's charging abilities - either 60/48 amps or 100/80 amps. That way it won't melt when you're charging at some random Tesla Destination Charger like Seascape Resort in Aptos, CA that actually provides 19.2 kW Tesla Gen1 Wall Chargers to their customers.

Last edited:
Reactions: DRR

DRR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
yes the Tesla MCC (Tesla Universal Mobile Charger gen2) that is standard with the Model Y is a 32 amp EVSE that plugs into NEMA 14-50 outlet - any TeslaTap with the Tesla UMC will charge your Taycan just fine.

if all you ever used was your Model Y's charger you do not need the 80 amp Tesla Tap (the Model Y UMC gen 2 is a 32 amp charger) - you get the 80 amp Tesla Tap so that when you encounter other Tesla Wall Chargers that may be 60/70/80 amp EVSE's you don't "melt" the TeslaTap while charging your Taycan.

You can charge your Taycan with a Tesla Mobile Charger (Gen1 or Gen2) or Tesla Wall Charger (gen1, gen2, gen3) with a TeslaTap - TeslaTap are _NOT_ for Tesla Superchargers and simply won't work -not to mention they don't even connect to the FastDC input pins on any CCS vehicle including the Taycan.

if you have a standard Taycan all you need is a 60 amp TeslaTap to handle the Taycan's maximum 11 kW load and not melt the TeslaTap…

if you have the optional 19.2 kW North American charging option you should have an 80 amp TeslaTap since if you encounter a 19.2 kW Tesla Wall Charger Gen1/Gen2 you'll need the extra beefy capacity of the 80 amp model to handle the charging load and not melt/short/fault during longer charging sessions.

NOTE: TeslaTaps are _NOT_ active adapters they are passive "pass-through devices" - a 32 amp TeslaTap does _NOT_ limit your charging session to 32 amps - the amp rating for a TeslaTap is an indication of how robust the the connectors/wire-gauge is inside the TeslaTap to handle greater powerflow/electrical-current during higher capacity charging session. You can use a 32 amp TeslaTap w/19.2 kW Tesla Wall Charger gen2 and a 19.2 kW Taycan and when you plug in the Taycan and the Wall charger will happily charge at 19.2 kW (80 amps) - but OMG - not so sure the 32 amp TeslaTap will last without melting/shorting/faulting with actual potential fire risk and potential damage to your charging port when the plastic on the TeslaTap melts due to overheating…TeslaTap's are a mostly passive adatper that simply lets the power flow from one side to the other - given the amount of power that can flow it's important to puchase a Tap that is beefy/robust enough to handle your Taycan's maximum power flow (48 amps for standard Taycan, 80 amps for a 19.2 kW Taycan)
Thank you for the detailed explanation. You should train Porsche reps!

DRR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Last dumb question. The 14-50 outlet is on a 50 amp breaker. Will the car try to pull a higher amp since it has the 19.2 charger?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
if you have a NEMA 14-50 plug & that plug is "fed" by an actual 50 amp breaker…

recommend spending $200 on the 40 amp Tesla Corded Mobile Connector
https://shop.tesla.com/product/corded-mobile-connector

it's a true 40 amp charger (50 amp plug & braker) and will charge your Taycan and your Wife's Model Y 25% faster than the included/standard 32 amp Tesla Gen2 UMC included (until recently now optional) with Model 3/Y…

if you now own two EV's and it sounds like you do - you might consider the dual charging cord ClipperCreek HCS-50 charger - plug in two EV's at the same time (your Model Y and Taycan) and while both cars are charging it will "share" the charging load - and if one car finishes or only one EV is plugged in a single EV will get the "full" circuit capacity - it's truly "bliss" for mullit-EV households to simply plug both EV's in at the same time and let the charger sort out charging them both overnight…

https://store.clippercreek.com/featured/40-amp-dual-charging-station-14-50

plug this charger into your existing NEMA 14-50 plug and you can now charge both EV's at once and they will "share" the 50/40 amp load intelligently so both car charge at the same time

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Last dumb question. The 14-50 outlet is on a 50 amp breaker. Will the car try to pull a higher amp since it has the 19.2 charger?
good question and no it will not - the Tesla Gen2 UMC is what is known as an EVSE (Electrical Vehicle Supply Equipment) - it is not in fact the charger - the AC/DC converter/charger is actually inside your EV (Taycan) and it takes the incoming AC power flow (from the external EVSE) and feeds/converts it to the DC battery

this is true of ALL the EV chargers that come with an EV (PMCC/PMC+ is porsche's crappy vesion of an EVSE) - they are not actually the chargers - technically they are EVSE's - but people commonly call them "chargers".

an EVSE (like the Tesla Gen2 UMC) is simply a glorified extension cord…what makes it different that an extesion cord you ask:
  • well it has two extra electrical connectors for communication (5 connectors instead of 3)
  • it is remotely controlled by the vehicle's onboard charger/software to turn on/off to let power flow or not flow - this is why the car can schedule it's own charging
  • it "advertises" it's maximum power flow (AMPs) - the vehicle 'adapts' to only request the max powerflow "advertised" by the EVSE
    • your 19.2 kW 240v/80 amp capable Taycan will quite happily charge at 1.44 kW (12 amps @ 120V) if you plug it into your wife's Tesla Gen2 UMC with the household plug adapter it came with - it will charge no problem - it will just take forever
    • the EVSE "informs" the vehicle how much power it can provide
    • try it - swap the cable on your wife's Tesla EVSE - then plug in either the Tesla or the Taycan - note: both cars now just tootle along at about 1.4 kW taking forever to charge.
  • no power is flowing if it's not plugged into a vehicle - this is a safety feature of EVSE vs. raw extension cord - and the reason for the two extra communication connectors…unlike an extension cord an EVSE connector won't electrocute you if you drop it in a puddle in your driveway due to the "must be plugged into vehicle for power to flow" safety feature…
    • this is the EVSE's main job - #1 priority - don't electrocute the owner! how does it do this?
    • it uses the two extra communcation "pins/connectors" in the plug to make sure it's actually "talking" to a vehicle before letting _ANY_ high voltage power 'flow'.
Your wife's Tesla Gen2 UMC tells your Taycan (and her Model Y) that it can only do 32 amps - so both cars will only ask/draw 32 amps when using that charger.

this is also true when using "public" chargers - your 19.2 kw Taycan will plugged into a ChargePoint public charger at say Valley Fair Mall in San Jose, CA will only draw 30 amps (6 kW) because the ChargePoint chargers "tell" the Taycan they are 30 amp chargers…

Your wife's Model Y can charge at up to 11 kW (48 amps on a 60 amp breaker)
Your Taycan can charge at up to 11 kW (48 amps on a 60 amp breaker) standard - or optionally 19.2 kW (80 amps on a 100 amp breaker)

the breaker/plug DO NOT and can not "inform" an EV what their maximum capacity is - there is no mechanism for them to do this on a 3/4 wire residential 240/120V circuit - this is the role of the EVSE - the EVSE "tells" the EV what the capacity of the circuit is and the vehicle conforms to what the EVSE tells it - we put an EVSE between the "dumb" passive residential grade electrical circuit (breaker + wire + no-smarts) and your "smart" EV - the EVSE is a power-flow control switch, safety device and advertises circuit capacity to the vehicle/EV - the EV then controls the charging session by talking to the EVSE…and not exceeding the advertised circuit capacity. We could charge an EV with nothing more than extension cord - but the passive extension cord lacks any circuit capacity advertisement and there is no power-flow safety control (it's always "hot") - so we invented the EVSE.

what happens if you install a ClipperCreek HCS-100 (100 amp breaker) onto a 15 amp 120 volt circuit? Well the ClipperCreek EVSE will "tell" the Taycan it's an 80 amp EVSE - a 19.2 kW Taycan will say great and promptly start drawing 19.2 kW of power across a 15 amp circuit rated for 1.44 kW of power - and chaos will ensue and the 15 amp circuit will physically/melt/short/burn down your hose if the circuit breaker fails to trip - why am I telling you this - because you have to realize there is no "magic" here - the only way any of this stuff works is if everything is installed and setup correctly - the breaker, the wire gauge, the plug and the EVSE must all "match" each other - because the car will 'believe' what ever the EVSE "tells" it - if all the parts are not matched - then the ONLY safety feature remaing is the breaker and it should "trip offline" if too much power is flowing - 99.99999% of the time the breaker will work as designed, but if it doesn't actual melting/shorting/fires can occur.

if you want to splurge (defintion: splurge an unnecessary indulgence) on your home charging setup do the following:
  • hire electrican to upgrade your charging circuit to 60/70/80 amps
  • purchase two clipper creek EVSE's to match the new circuit size (60/70/80 amp breakers)
  • clippercreek chargers have a "share2" feature - two separate chargers can "share" a single circuit breaker
  • you will then have two EVSE's "sharing" say an 80 amp circuit
    • if your wife plugs in her Model Y - it will charge faster at 11 kW (vs. the 32 amp 7.2 kW it's charging at now)
    • if you plug in your Taycan w/19.2 kW charger you'll charge at a full 15.6 kW (64 amps)
    • if both cars are plugged in they will each get 7.8 kW until one finishes and the other will get extra power when the other EV stops charging
why not a full 100/80 amp charger to maximize your Taycan's 19.2 kW charge rate - because so far ClipperCree's 100/80 amp chargers don't have a share2 feature - and the 80 amp honestly is awesome!

Last edited:
Reactions: DRR

RLee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS Turismo, Tesla M3P, Solstice GXP
Country flag
I have a Tesla M3P and Tesla charge cable installed on 70 AMP breaker. As previously described my Taycan will charge at 11 KW. The Lectron Tesla to J1772 for 48Amp charging on amazon is at a good price. https://a.co/d/f0UUHjq
Most Tesla destination chargers are free at this point.

Porsche Taycan Trying out a Tesla - > J1772 40A rated plug adapter 20220907_202522

Porsche Taycan Trying out a Tesla - > J1772 40A rated plug adapter 20220907_202600

Porsche Taycan Trying out a Tesla - > J1772 40A rated plug adapter 20220907_202612

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag