Trying to decide which battery for our 4S build.

OP
OP
ericj320

ericj320

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was in a similar situation and asked on the forum. My SA didn’t see much value in the larger battery especially as i live in the city. But the responses helped me decide to get the PB+. The deciding factor was not the 30+ mile range or resale value, but rather the power it adds to the 4S, maximizing its potential. Most of us, opted for 4S over RWD, for performance, so why not maximize it. Also depends what else you option in the car. From what I can understand, if you cross $20k in options, you should really consider adding the PB+

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...w-o-performance-battery-plus.6428/#post-91915
That’s pretty much what pushed us over the edge to get the PB+. Like I mentioned above, we want the 4S over the RWD PB+ ( the only RWD we’d consider) for performance. The exact car spec’d identically is $14k more than in the 4S PB for 54 more HP, going then to the 4S PB+ is 53 more HP for only $5570. So bang for your buck on that last 53 HP is at a significant value, and the extra 30 mile range is just a bonus.
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I would give up on most other options before not taking the bigger battery. Even for driving around town range is a great feature. Not to mention resale value.
Agreed. Get the bigger battery.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
One thing to keep in mind WRT to the bigger battery adding power- it also adds weight. If you look at the 0-60 times they are pretty much identical for this reason. So I'm not sure the added power is really a good reason to get the bigger battery.

Given your needs and usage, I'd skip the bigger battery and use it buy other options you might want. You'll be able to enjoy the lighter weight all the time but it sounds like you'll almost never make use of that extra 25-30 miles of range.

As far as road trips-- check out this video. 3 guys in Norway did a race to the arctic cicle in 3 different EVs. One of the EVs was a Taycan 4S w/ the smaller battery.

obscurelyfamous

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Chalk Taycan 4S
Country flag
One thing to keep in mind WRT to the bigger battery adding power- it also adds weight. If you look at the 0-60 times they are pretty much identical for this reason. So I'm not sure the added power is really a good reason to get the bigger battery.

Given your needs and usage, I'd skip the bigger battery and use it buy other options you might want. You'll be able to enjoy the lighter weight all the time but it sounds like you'll almost never make use of that extra 25-30 miles of range.

As far as road trips-- check out this video. 3 guys in Norway did a race to the arctic cicle in 3 different EVs. One of the EVs was a Taycan 4S w/ the smaller battery.
Also keep in mind that increased power is useful in more than 0-60 times. The added weight does make it such that your stoplight launch battles won't change, but you might appreciate the extra juice once you're moving. But whether it's worth the extra cost will be up to you.

Sabreliner

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan 4S, '91 911 C4
Country flag
For road trips, the bigger battery gives you a deeper battery, which is nice when you look at the charging curves. The PB+'s first 80% is proportionately bigger and quicker to charge so you do not have to wallow in the shallow curve of the top 10-20% of the battery where it drops from 100kW to <50kW at the top. So essentially, you also get a faster charging battery if you think about it in context of the charging curve. I believe this was exploited during the cannonball run record done in the Taycan.
Sponsored