Schlossj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had a sensible moment and ordered a Turbo, have regretted it ever since and wish I had ordered the Turbo s. I would say get the 4s or Turbo s looking back at it now. I find that the used car market is a great judge. The model available to buy with shortest lead time and used is the Turbo......
I guess ignorance is bliss. 4S blowing my mind. Don’t care about the badge and I’m not racing other Tesla’s. My biggest want was the “head turner” feature and amazing drive and I have those and beyond. I also have plenty of money but also (too much?) practicality. But as someone said if you’re asking just go big! Don’t want to ask yourself “what if” down the line.
Sponsored

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
If you're able to buy the top, do it.
That LC is just priceless, really.
I beat Ferraris, Lamborghinis, AMGs and Teslas and it's so very psychological if you get beaten by a whole lot instead of just a little bit... :)
You'll love it, promise.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
A $175k 4S is going to depreciate like a brick. You might be saving $25k versus the Turbo today, but if you keep the car for 3-5 years your total cost of ownership might be really close between the two.

On the used market, outside of a few critical options, the model makes the biggest difference in resale value.

If you really want to spend less, get rid of some of the options on the 4S. Keep it under $160k. Otherwise go for the Turbo or Turbo S.

HigherLevel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Porsche Macan S, 2021 Taycan Turbo S (Jan 21)
Country flag
But I’d much rather sit in, drive, look at and have a Porsche in my garage vs a M3P
Agree, but you do have to admit that Porsche is charging a massive premium for what you get. I'd expect a $120k performance sedan (basically what it costs for similar spec Tesla) to beat a $60k performance sedan off the line, but it doesn't. Maybe $20k difference to account for nicer interior bits and an air suspension, but otherwise there's $40k of margin there for not much value. Tesla has re-defined performance for the dollar on grocery-getters now in my opinion.

Rolling up to a stop light and getting smoked by what appears to be a standard mid-range sedan would make my balls shrivel. I need that big dick swagger rolling up to a light. Lots of 55-65mph 4 lane roads where I live so it's a weekly occurrence.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Agree, but you do have to admit that Porsche is charging a massive premium for what you get. I'd expect a $120k performance sedan (basically what it costs for similar spec Tesla) to beat a $60k performance sedan off the line, but it doesn't. Maybe $20k difference to account for nicer interior bits and an air suspension, but otherwise there's $40k of margin there for not much value. Tesla has re-defined performance for the dollar on grocery-getters now in my opinion.
The Taycan is only priced against other Porsche models, as that's the measuring stick. The pricing is similar to Panamera, so it's not like the Taycan deviates much from Porsche's successful formula.
We just have a bunch of Tesla refugees here now, but they'll be gone once some other manufacturers build cheaper EVs that are put together better than anything NUMMI will ever assemble.

The funny thing is when I first test drove a Model S in 2013 (with intent to buy), I was *severely* disappointed. The MSRP was something like $115k and it was way less nice than an Audi S6 or S7 at a good $30k more. The S has improved, but it has a long way to go.

I didn't get the Taycan purely because of it's speed, as there will always be someone faster, and I fully expect there to be a lot of cars in the same ballpark at less than half the price. But I've owned 2 Audi R8 V8's, and the average Mustang GT was faster than either of them at 1/3rd the price. 911 buyers could easily go out and get a Z06 similarly. Buying a Porsche because of some numbers on a piece of paper is not a particularly good plan.

If the Taycan wasn't so good, I would have been trying to decide between a Cayenne Coupe or a 992.

CJE

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Ford GT (part owner)
Country flag
The Taycan is only priced against other Porsche models, as that's the measuring stick. The pricing is similar to Panamera, so it's not like the Taycan deviates much from Porsche's successful formula.
We just have a bunch of Tesla refugees here now, but they'll be gone once some other manufacturers build cheaper EVs that are put together better than anything NUMMI will ever assemble.

The funny thing is when I first test drove a Model S in 2013 (with intent to buy), I was *severely* disappointed. The MSRP was something like $115k and it was way less nice than an Audi S6 or S7 at a good $30k more. The S has improved, but it has a long way to go.

I didn't get the Taycan purely because of it's speed, as there will always be someone faster, and I fully expect there to be a lot of cars in the same ballpark at less than half the price. But I've owned 2 Audi R8 V8's, and the average Mustang GT was faster than either of them at 1/3rd the price. 911 buyers could easily go out and get a Z06 similarly. Buying a Porsche because of some numbers on a piece of paper is not a particularly good plan.

If the Taycan wasn't so good, I would have been trying to decide between a Cayenne Coupe or a 992.
The problem with pricing good, better, best on a slightly graduated scale simply does not work. To make something that is well crafted, long lasting and designed with an artistry that sets it apart costs more than just "a little more."

When you park a Taycan on the street and then exist your destination seeing your car in the distance, you simply feel different than you would with a more traditional automobile. When you enter your garage with your Porsche key in had anticipating a drive, you feel a surge of excitement that most cars cannot deliver. Just washing the car and wiping a cloth along its body lines is like appreciating sculpture.

Fit, finish, engineering and invention costs proportionately more as the degree of those things increase. If all this doesn't make much difference that's certainly understandable. Each of us is driven by different goals and small things become big things only if they matter to us.

The requirements for producing a Taycan make it very expensive. Porsche apparently separates engineering from marketing. Their cars are designed to achieve an agreed upon standard and only then are they priced. More affordable cars are usually priced before they are manufactured. This creates a process of eliminating quality in favor of affordability.

The Taycan provides a unique experience of design, responsiveness, handling, construction and visual presentation. Those qualities brought together will always be expensive.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
The Turbo S is too fast. There, I said it.

I've mentioned before but I'm strongly of the view that you only get the Turbo S if it's the one you just have to have.

Outside of HP, you don't really get much going from a 4S to a Turbo S. It's faster but it doesn't drive better, have a nicer interior (provided what you choose to option), or sound better. Those are the things that usually really separate the Turbo/Turbo S Porsche cars but in the Taycan it's really just going up levels of fast.
It is definitely too fast. But I subscribe to the quote 'anything worth doing is worth overdoing...' ha ha.

OP
OP
TheFutre

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
@CJE
WELL SAID........WELL SAID

When you park a Taycan on the street and then exist your destination seeing your car in the distance, you simply feel different than you would with a more traditional automobile. When you enter your garage with your Porsche key in had anticipating a drive, you feel a surge of excitement that most cars cannot deliver. Just washing the car and wiping a cloth along its body lines is like appreciating sculpture.

snb7x

First Name
Bertie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan S, Z4 3.0i Conv, VW Golf & Taycan Turbo (awaited)
Country flag
I had a sensible moment and ordered a Turbo, have regretted it ever since and wish I had ordered the Turbo s. I would say get the 4s or Turbo s looking back at it now. I find that the used car market is a great judge. The model available to buy with shortest lead time and used is the Turbo......
well I have a Taycan 4S (was due Easter 20 but with CoVid) delayed until July 3rd and I love it - but until MY21 was released I felt the overall range of ext colour / interiors wasn’t great so I have now ordered a Turbo (Crayon) ... regretfully still awaiting a build slot so I am not seeing evidence of short lead times just yet and deposit was paid almost 3 weeks ago. Hope there isn’t extended delays ....

Porsche Taycan TURBO or TURBO S 7EFB1726-DC8F-4752-BD87-B8EEE911A84A

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
Hi......so I started with a 4S build and then decided to move up to a Turbo.......I can justify the 15k difference for the all around power difference
However, I also have a chance to move up to a Turbo S for another 15k but I’m having a tough time justifying since it seems other than launch control the power is identical between the Turbo & Turbo S
Am I correct or m I making a mistake holding tight with the Turbo?
It depends upon your option list. Yes, it can actually be more cost effective to get a higher model since many of the more pricy options [Burmester, for example at $7g on non-Turbos] are either standard, or greatly reduced once you bump up to those models. As you said, around $15k is a heathy decider.

CJE

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Ford GT (part owner)
Country flag
I think you have to take this question up with your wallet. Mine just shook its' head when I said "turbo"
I think the difference is clarified when you step our of a Turbo and anticipate being asked, "How come you didn't get the Turbo S?"

The time you will spend explaining the wisdom of your choice over the years can easily be used to earn the difference in price between "better" and "best". There is a delicious satisfaction in owning the best of the best. At a certain point ion one's life, there is a need to put comnpromise aside and grab the top rung of the ladder.

A bit grand, perhaps, but so satisfying.