TriTaycan

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Half the reason you buy a Porsche is for the infotainment system? No offense but you might want to look at a different type of car.

The PCM on the Taycan is fine. It's still in the top half of current infotainment systems and it looks very, very sharp, which is probably the most important thing to me.

Give me a slightly laggier but beautifully integrated touchscreen over a snappy but glued on dash system any day of the week.
”No offense”, but it’s just a car, and Porsche makes its money selling suvs to soccer moms. There’s nothing magical or mystical about it.

Besides, I said the reason I’m buying a new car is I wanted a better infotainment system, not the reason I’m buying a “Porsche”. There’s nothing wrong with my S7, but its 8yo and way behind on tech now. I assumed the Taycan would have the best system, apparently I was mistaken. It’s reasonable to expect your new $180k car has a great infotainment system.
Sponsored

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
‘are some of the issues lessened if you are using CarPlay?
Definitely. The CarPlay experience is what you'd expect.

As I've said elsewhere, the Taycan PCM is clearly a full rewrite using a new stack. It's going to take a while for it to mature...but what's nice is that the issues are all software, which is a lot easier to 'fix' than hardware.

I'm also going to guess that Wireless CarPlay is going to happen with a software update. The obvious dissonance between a wireless charger in the armrest for the phone, and then requiring a wire (which charges) for CarPlay is too pronounced...especially since there's WiFi in the car, and early versions of the User's Guide reference it. My guess is that the initial implementation at lockdown didn't meet quality targets so they pulled it...and it'll come back when the bugs are fixed and those targets are met.

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
Clunky and slow is probably a bit harsh. It is still a good system, but I 100% stand behind it being worse than the 2017 Panamera.
I'm wondering if this is as simple as a software optimization issue. I mention this because I played with the Taycan infotainment systems in-car at the LA Auto Show last November, and there the system was notably very fast and responsive. I could totally see a final dump of features before shipment causing a slowdown. Having worked in software for over 20 years, I'm sorry to say it wouldn't exactly be an extraordinary occurrence.

HigherLevel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Porsche Macan S, 2021 Taycan Turbo S (Jan 21)
Country flag
Yeah those pros and cons are in line with what I'm guessing I'll feel after having the car for a weekend. Tesla is ahead on tech, but Porsche is ahead on driving dynamics.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
Definitely. The CarPlay experience is what you'd expect.

As I've said elsewhere, the Taycan PCM is clearly a full rewrite using a new stack. It's going to take a while for it to mature...but what's nice is that the issues are all software, which is a lot easier to 'fix' than hardware.

I'm also going to guess that Wireless CarPlay is going to happen with a software update. The obvious dissonance between a wireless charger in the armrest for the phone, and then requiring a wire (which charges) for CarPlay is too pronounced...especially since there's WiFi in the car, and early versions of the User's Guide reference it. My guess is that the initial implementation at lockdown didn't meet quality targets so they pulled it...and it'll come back when the bugs are fixed and those targets are met.
This is what I am coming from - 2004 350Z Roadster. No satellite radio, no nav, no Bluetooth, no aux-in, not even an easy way to add an aux-in cord. Heck, the iPhone didn't even come out for another 3 years after my car was built. Pretty sure the Taycan setup is going to be a big upgrade. :)

That said, I do hope they add Android Auto support for those of us who live in the Android ecosystem.

Porsche Taycan Turbo Pickup in VA and 450 mile road trip to southwest NC - experience and feedback 2020-06-11 15.53.21

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
This is what I am coming from - 2004 350Z Roadster. No satellite radio, no nav, no Bluetooth, no aux-in, not even an easy way to add an aux-in cord. Heck, the iPhone didn't even come out for another 3 years after my car was built. Pretty sure the Taycan setup is going to be a big upgrade. :)

That said, I do hope they add Android Auto support for those of us who live in the Android ecosystem.

2020-06-11 15.53.21.jpg
I am in a similar situation and recognize that centre console. I have 2003 350Z, which I only drove in the winter now. My summer car is a 2010 Nissan GTR, which doesn’t have an AUX input or Bluetooth audio connection either. I think the Taycan PCM will be a big step up for me.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag

Going to be one heck of an upgrade for ya.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
I am in a similar situation and recognize that centre console. I have 2003 350Z, which I only drove in the winter now. My summer car is a 2010 Nissan GTR, which doesn’t have an AUX input or Bluetooth audio connection either. I think the Taycan PCM will be a big step up for me.
Wow, if you drive the Z in the winter, I think you are in for a big traction upgrade too with the Taycan. All it takes is about 2 flakes of snow and I struggle to keep the back end of my Z from kicking out. As such, my Z sits in the garage all winter. I plan on driving my Taycan all year round which in Colorado means a wide range of conditions.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Wow, if you drive the Z in the winter, I think you are in for a big traction upgrade too with the Taycan. All it takes is about 2 flakes of snow and I struggle to keep the back end of my Z from kicking out. As such, my Z sits in the garage all winter. I plan on driving my Taycan all year round which in Colorado means a wide range of conditions.
Yeah, it isn’t exactly the best winter car, especially in Canada. I don’t drive much - the 2003 car only has 41,000 miles on it and the 2010 has 28,000 miles. I kept the Z to keep the GTR pristine. I do get mocked a lot for putting away a four-wheel drive car to drive a rear-wheel car in the winter. It is fun though and slides nicely around corners.

I will drive the Taycan all year - but not in extreme weather. Really looking forward to that, assuming I eventually get the car. The wait has been tough.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
ugh, this sounds really bad. a new infotainment system, which I assumed would be top notch, was half the reason I’m buying a new car at all. Do others agree with this?...
Not me, I almost don't care at all. As long as the car handles great and is reliable to drive, when I need it, with a luxury fit and finished, it is a massive improvement over my current EV.

Navi, phone call, messaging, music, all digital services comes from my phone anyway.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
This is kind of my manta, but please report any/all non working 350KW EA to Porsche customer support. It is a major selling point of the car, and EA is simply non functional most of the time, at least in the Mid Atlantic region (and I am sure elsewhere). And they don’t seem to care. But Porsche and manufacturers will if customers point out it is a reason NOT to buy the car if a major feature is useless thank to EA incompetence. And remember folks EA is in the VW group.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Not me, I almost don't care at all. As long as the car handles great and is reliable to drive, when I need it, with a luxury fit and finished, it is a massive improvement over my current EV.

Navi, phone call, messaging, music, all digital services comes from my phone anyway.
I agree with your priorities. And the car does live up to and exceed all my expectations for driving pleasure! Fast, composed, stable and very comfortable.

Using Apple Car Play for navigations etc etc also makes sense, if it was wireless connection! At the moment to have a wireless charger built in and still have to use a cable makes no sense at all.

We will miss out out on a fair few things though by not using the built in navigation system. There will be no link to planning for charging on a longer trip, so that the car will precondition the battery for quick charging. And we will miss out the nice feature of having the map right in front of you in the central display, with turn instructions etc. That feature is very nice and for me means I do not need or want any head up display.

I have also seen that VW have held back deliveries on their new ID3, and strong rumours say because of SW issues with the infotainment system! So I am fully convinced that the issues we see now will be addressed and rectified. Porsche and the whole VW group have probably underestimated the challenges in integrating the infotainment so closely with the car. And that is Important for an EV. For an ICE car it is just a separate bolt on?

Just my thoughts.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
I will drive the Taycan all year - but not in extreme weather. Really looking forward to that, assuming I eventually get the car. The wait has been tough.
What do you define as “extreme” weather?
I’ve only driven mine between 25° and -25°C.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
What do you define as “extreme” weather?
I’ve only driven mine between 25° and -25°C.
I was thinking more along the lines of snow than temperatures. Although I saw what you drove though on your trip, and some it seemed pretty extreme. Gave me some added comfort. I am comprising with the all seasons as opposed to putting winters on since I only drive a few times in the winter anyway.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I agree with your priorities. And the car does live up to and exceed all my expectations for driving pleasure! Fast, composed, stable and very comfortable.
Music to my ears!

Using Apple Car Play for navigations etc etc also makes sense, if it was wireless connection! At the moment to have a wireless charger built in and still have to use a cable makes no sense at all.
True, but then I use Android, not interested to switch.

We will miss out out on a fair few things though by not using the built in navigation system. There will be no link to planning for charging on a longer trip
True, but then if I ever go on a long enough trip with the car:

1. I doubt that Porsche Navi will be up to date with all local charging stations.
2. I can always run the Navi on the side, but I will still use my phone to find the way. Yes, Baidu phone Navi software is in fact so very good!

I have also seen that VW have held back deliveries on their new ID3, and strong rumours say because of SW issues with the infotainment system!
One of the problems was that they had a lot of parts with it's own software running. These parts then connect via the CAN bus system. If you want to make all the software in the car easy to update, you basically have to move all the processing of these parts into a more central place. That changes a lot and it takes time.
Sponsored