Turmoil at VW: Porsches Postponed by Buggy Software Cost VW’s CEO His Job

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
VW software managed by Cariad is a disgrace, and I am sure that more than 1 board member grew impatient with the various bugs in the car, and still not fixed 2 years later.

I just came back from a trip to South of France with the Taycan; at least 4 times the Taycan PCM randomly cancelled the destination in the PCM, silently. It rebooted 3 times spontaneously, needed 2 manual reboots because CarPlay wasn't working anymore. It also lost all media favourites, again.

It also routed me to Porsche chargers at dealership in Frejus, just outside Nice, only to see that the chargers were caput when I arrived with 8% battery. The dealer person kindly came out and apologised saying they had notified Porsche software 2 weeks ago but it kept routing people here. What's maddening is that the Porsche App on my phone has delisted these Porsche Chargers, but the car PCM insisted I should charge there. There aren't any other fast chargers nearby and no fast chargers that work in Nice. Thanks Porsche Geniuses

I have had BMW, Mini, and JLR and none was as bad as Porsche software. Absolutely terrible, unreliable, craptastic software. The VW board should do well to flush Cariad down the drain as well, give a call to Google for Android Automotive, or Blackberry for their QNX infotainment and call it a day.
Use:

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/

Thank me later.
Sponsored

Reactions: B61

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I use it, but it only works if CarPlay works in the Taycn, which isn't a sure thing. Since I wrote my comment about an hour ago, I drove the car to another meeting and another problem has popped -up, one that hadn't reared its head for the last 2 months; Active Lane Keeping fault. I've been to the dealer before with this error and they "can't reproduce it". It seems it's not a hardware fault, but rather another software gremlin. Still means that the LKA doesn't work sometimes, and then it works again.

See attached proof

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
I am experiencing an enormous amount of schadenfreude.

No one is more deserving after utterly failing to build the software team required to do the job, and fucking it up so badly as to put peoples lives in jeopardy.

this wasn’t just crappy pcms. This was cars dying on the highway due to stackoverflow issues and amateur hour bullshit. To ensure error handling doesn’t fundamentally compromise safety is like hardened systems 101.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am experiencing an enormous amount of schadenfreude.

No one is more deserving after utterly failing to build the software team required to do the job, and fucking it up so badly as to put peoples lives in jeopardy.

this wasn’t just crappy pcms. This was cars dying on the highway due to stackoverflow issues and amateur hour bullshit. To ensure error handling doesn’t fundamentally compromise safety is like hardened systems 101.
Weird that 90%+ of the people responding in the ‘would you buy a Taycan again thread’ aren’t having those problems and would buy one again. Very strange.

Maybe it’s because a few people keep posting the same shit over and over again, while the silent majority is very happy with their cars. Nahhhhh…

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
Weird that 90%+ of the people responding in the ‘would you buy a Taycan again thread’ aren’t having those problems and would buy one again. Very strange.

Maybe it’s because a few people keep posting the same shit over and over again, while the silent majority is very happy with their cars. Nahhhhh…
God you are a tired old shit.

mods, plesse let me fall on my sword and ban me but at least let me take this nonstop troll archimedes with me. 😂

Last edited:

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Yeah, I agree, sorry I misunderstood what you meant.

I'm personally more worried about being on what is effectively gen 1 of mass BEV adoption. I think my car will lose more money to hardware obsolescence than anything else
But I think it will loose far less money to software or hardware obsolescence than if you had just gone out and bought a new ICE car (with a few exceptions).

Its like getting a phone. You have to jump sometime, even though you know the next version will be superior.

I guess an old iPhone might not be worth a lot. But I imagine an old Blackberry is worth less?

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
God you are a tired old shit.

mods, plesse let me fall on my sword and ban me but at least let me take this nonstop troll archimedes with me. 😂
Hilarious. The troll of TF, who doesn't even own a Taycan, repeatedly posting the same drivel on here is calling other people trolls. Your whiny posts are the Internet equivalent of the teacher from Charlie Brown.

pnw-ev-nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I wonder if VW will ever consider working with Google and their Android-based software like the one in Polestar 2? From a personal experience, I found the Polestar 2 software much more robust and cleaner than my Taycan’s UI/UX.
I sure as hell hope not. I want Google as far away from me and my things as possible.

Unless they completely strip all Google services and frameworks such that they can't siphon up and sell my data or volunteer my driving or search history to law enforcement en masse based on keyword or geofence warrants or any of the other evil shit that Google does.

pnw-ev-nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I adore my 4S CT overall, but the software issues in the car, in the app, and on the backend are so very very bad that I think that shitcanning the CEO doesn't go far enough. There is surely an entire chain of management and executives that need to be thrown out the door and replaced by competent software professionals.

Porsche should be embarrassed about the piss poor state of their software. And we need to stop giving them excuses like "well the rest of the car is great, so I guess I'll just live with this garbage software"

anyways, that's my rant. I hope things get better, and I'm excited for ANA6 to see if it fixes some of my nags.

mod72346

First Name
Mod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2021
Country flag
I adore my 4S CT overall, but the software issues in the car, in the app, and on the backend are so very very bad that I think that shitcanning the CEO doesn't go far enough. There is surely an entire chain of management and executives that need to be thrown out the door and replaced by competent software professionals.

Porsche should be embarrassed about the piss poor state of their software. And we need to stop giving them excuses like "well the rest of the car is great, so I guess I'll just live with this garbage software"

anyways, that's my rant. I hope things get better, and I'm excited for ANA6 to see if it fixes some of my nags.
Totally agree. The amount of glitches combined with lack of timely updates/fixes is beyond belief. Sacking the CEO will do nothing, unless drastic changes are made to how they treat software engineering. It simply cannot be detached as a subsidiary, and function as a bunch of contracts. Quality starts from the beginning, and cannot be added later. And yes, they need to head-hunt the best engineers, the caliber of Silicon Valley, and build a culture where infotainment is an essential part of driving experience.

mod72346

First Name
Mod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2021
Country flag

I'm sure Blackberry apologists would say the same 15 years ago... "90%+ of Blackberry users have no complaints and would buy a Blackberry again." LoL.

Last edited:

mod72346

First Name
Mod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2021
Country flag
So I have a ‘22 4S and my car works perfectly save for Apple CarPlay starting up on its own when I get in. What am I missing that I’d get if Tesla wrote the code? The ability to play Pole Position or Space Invaders on the PCM screen?
So I have a MY 2021 4S and for the first couple months, I had experienced a new glitch every other day - no kidding. Anything from charging failures, to random error messages, navigation problems, camera failures, unresponsive UI, loss of favorites, inability to use driver profiles, connectivity issues, unresponsive car locking, random alarms, etc. It's great that your experience is great, but my piss-poor experience has to matter too, doesn't it? And Porsche were not able to improve it after multiple service visits - that has to matter too. BTW, the iOS/Android apps are still rated 2.1/2.8 and that should matter too.

Porsche Taycan Turmoil at VW: Porsches Postponed by Buggy Software Cost VW’s CEO His Job Screenshot_20220731-153845_Chrome

Porsche Taycan Turmoil at VW: Porsches Postponed by Buggy Software Cost VW’s CEO His Job Screenshot_20220731-154409_Chrome

Last edited:

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm sure Blackberry apologists would say the same 15 years ago... "90%+ of Blackberry users have no complaints and would buy a Blackberry again." LoL.
My car was awesome again today. Long drive, no error messages, alarm worked, and it’s charging fine as I type. And it drove like a Porsche, not an appliance. If ya got a lemon, sell it and get something else. I hear Tesla wait times are getting much shorter.

mod72346

First Name
Mod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2021
Country flag
My car was awesome again today. Long drive, no error messages, alarm worked, and it’s charging fine as I type. And it drove like a Porsche, not an appliance. If ya got a lemon, sell it and get something else. I hear Tesla wait times are getting much shorter.
If you got a "lemon", you'd be singing a very different tune, I'm sure of it. And your arrogance is off the charts, especially considering the energy you are putting into positive PR spin for Porsche in these forums. Are you getting at least paid? If not, you are a chump.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
If you got a "lemon", you'd be singing a very different tune, I'm sure of it. And your arrogance is off the charts, especially considering the energy you are putting into positive PR spin for Porsche in these forums. Are you getting at least paid? If not, you are a chump.
I’m actually a tremendous slouch.

If I got a lemon, I’d dump it. But the lemons out there are few and far between, as most people on here can attest.

If yours is a lemon, file a lemon law claim.
Sponsored