Turtle mode while charging

menzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mino cooper S, waiting for taycan CT
Country flag
I was charging the car in a 350kw charger and got that turtle sign on the dashboard.
Background: I charged at a 150kw charger at the beginning of the trip drove 3 hours on the highway and then pulled in for a second charge (arrival SOC was 22% and battery temp 94, using PIRM) I initiated the charge made sure it was working then went inside. Came back the car was at 77% SOC and battery temp at 131 F). I unplugged the cable and the turtle sign was no longer there and the car cooled down as I was driving. Outside temp is 55 degrees. Normal or should I worry?

Ironic tidbit, I’m charging now at EA station outside their HQ in VA and then station doesn’t support plug and charge.
Sponsored

OP
OP

menzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just to add the car was pulling 252 kw when it started charging.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Just to add the car was pulling 252 kw when it started charging.
I had the turtle ? appear once during a 350kW session. Cold battery which got up to 32C from 2C and max rate of 106kW.

Turtle disappeared of its own accord during the session.

Last time I used one of these chargers was months ago and had random headlight control errors.

Something in these EVSEs that upsets the car's electronics temporarily.

OP
OP

menzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I tried to replicate it again but this time I stayed in the car. It didn’t come again because battery temp stayed at around 121. I think the turtle mode was turned on because the battery temp got too high.

Ambroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (RWD)
Country flag
I got the charging turtle today for the first time, while reaching a record high (for me) 56°C battery temperature. Charging speed got throttled down and the turtle disappeared once the battery dropped to 53°C (still while charging). I guess that's what you get for turning up at a charger with an already very hot battery!
Sponsored