Two irritation points after a year of ownership…

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I don't understand this map problem. I always use only satellite view and I think its very clear and great colors. Navigation is very easy. I have a 2021 4S so don't know if it makes any difference. In the Alps the Satellite View looked fantastic with some green lakes and snowy mountains at the same time ?. Sometimes I also use Waze if I know there are a lot of speed cameras on the road.
I have had my car now for 5 months (11 800 km) and I am very happy with it. There are some software problems like not connecting quickly enough to i-phone or seat memory not behaving correctly but those are minor things, as this car is so fantastic to drive. In the mountains I can't even explain how much I enjoyed it ?.
There is only one complaint for me and that is the quality of the full leather. I have black and already now you can see clearly that the outer bolsters on both front seats are worn. I showed it to Porsche yesterday and they agreed. They will come back with a solution. So far I am more than happy with the quality of Porsche Espoo (Finland) service. What comes to the quality of the leather, my earlier M3:s had Merino and you really can't even compare. Or maybe I was just unlucky and got the "monday" leather.
But as a whole its the best car I have ever owned. It loses maybe slightly in driving experience to my 2011 E92 M3, but the comfort and super solid ride makes totally up for that. My F80 Comp was not this exciting.
You are right about the satellite view maps being much more legible than the standard day view maps. My complaint is only about the latter, which I am stuck with more than I want because in my part of New Jersey the cellular connection often drops. People here want cellphone connection but do not want cellphone towers. Sigh. Can't blame Porsche for that.
Sponsored

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
She takes her time responding and when she does, she's not very smart. I would dump her for Alexa in a flash.
In my Tesla model Y, I added an 'Alexa Auto' to the Tesla voice control. The Tesla has frequent 'Connection Errors' where the voice system doesn't work (which is a complete pain when you are trying to change the speed of the windshield wiper). My iPhone and Alexa Auto seem to be more reliable, which I attribute to the better cell phone service in the iPhone.

Isaac

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, Macan GTS
Country flag
Hi Kingske and others

Also a one year 4S owner with a fairly extensive list of options and also generally happy with the car. Over here also residuals are astonishing - I guess the chip shortage has some benefits! Just ordered a Mercedes GLE de and already being told it may arrive minus some parts due to this BTW.

On my list of things to improve on the car

1 Nav and EV route planner in particular is utter crap. As someone else said better to use Apple car play and something like A Better Route Planner. We do a c. 700 mile journey to a second house in France and it has me stopping at v. slow charge points, wont recognise others (even ones supposedly linked to Porsche like Ionity). Peter “Scandinvian” or “Tigerbalm” have posted some excellent notes on route planning albeit in Europe but everyone seems to avoid the in car system - so for example no battery prep before a stop.
2 Comfort seats are anything but….far too hard and harder than other Porsche seats I have had - Porsche economising on the padding!
3 Semi autonomous driving will simply disengage and stop (when it loses the plot) with no real warning that it has given up and you are in charge - I would say quite a serious safety issue. Mercedes gives more warnings.
4 Drivers binnacle could do with a telephone screen on the right - strangely my Macan has this
5 Central screen system can be quite hard to use as a driver
6 Range is on the end of almost unacceptable - making point 1 even more important
7 Quite hard to get in and out of due to thick B Pillar - is this down to aluminium frame needing to be thicker than steel?
8 Some issues with phone connectivity which I think we have now solved by never connecting to the in car WIFI or disabling “make wifi calls“ on the phone. (The cars own SIM is not designed for voice calls but instead enabling google maps ie data - so making a phone call using it doesn’t really work).

Things I like

1 Quietness and refinement
2 Ride and handling esp. for such a large car
3 Performance apart from range
4 Semi autonomous driving except for point 3 above
5 Night vision
6 HUD
7 Software eg Apple Car play and apps that avoids anything Porsche
8Wife likes it!

Look forward to others thoughts.

Luc

First Name
Luc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cherry Metalic
Country flag
My MY2020 4S was delivered in October 2020. It therefore calls for an evaluation of my experience so far. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase and I would do it again immediately. The car’s many delightful features have been praised in great detail on this forum and in the media at large. Personally, I am only mildly annoyed by the quirky user interface/software and tend to be forgiving there. The only two things that really keep on irritating me are:
1) the very-hard-to-read (white roads on a light grey background) navigation map, and
2) the many and sometimes changing rattles from various areas of the interior, despite two visits to the dealer to have those fixed.
Am I too intolerant or are other forum members also irritated by the same two issues?
Hi, i fully agree to the point of disappontment of the interface software, unknown issues happened where it's not possible by Porsche to get a finger behind it. I believe that the dealers are also dissapointed about this unsolved issues. I can not accept this and forgive them. If you are a premium car then is dissapointing that my other car (volvo) has all functions without problems for last 5 years !! is 2021. But fortunately i have not yet rattles which if I had I could not handle. Maybe its a ranking of priority. The navigation issue you mentioned , i did not notice this as an issue. Regards
Sponsored