Two irritation points after a year of ownership…

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
My MY2020 4S was delivered in October 2020. It therefore calls for an evaluation of my experience so far. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase and I would do it again immediately. The car’s many delightful features have been praised in great detail on this forum and in the media at large. Personally, I am only mildly annoyed by the quirky user interface/software and tend to be forgiving there. The only two things that really keep on irritating me are:
1) the very-hard-to-read (white roads on a light grey background) navigation map, and
2) the many and sometimes changing rattles from various areas of the interior, despite two visits to the dealer to have those fixed.
Am I too intolerant or are other forum members also irritated by the same two issues?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Seems like you are satisfied consumer. If one only has a couple of issues, albeit important ones to you, then PAG has accomplished the mission. I have two suggestions for the problems you have raised:
  1. Navigation - Use Waze via Carplay. Not only will the problem be solved but it is much better than the in car system.
  2. Purchase the Diagnosis Tool - This should help to diagnose where the rattles and vibrations originate from. I have not used it for $15, its worth a shot. https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKURATTLECD.html
Thanks @991carreradriver . The Squeak & Rattle diagnostic CD looks intriguing. I guess one could transfer its content to a USD stick and try it in the Taycan. Have any other forum members tried this tool?

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
@Kingske
Thank you for your post and thoughts.
I concur with your comments and only a few small glitches for me. Quite happy overall.

I was going to post my One Year Ownersip thread but I will tag onto yours.

This has been my only visit to the dealer except to swap snow and summer tires in one year.

Work to be performed at this visit:
- WMA5 update (in the end my vehicle did not need this update).
- WMA7 (left charging unit in its case in trunk) update
- AMB5 recall
- PCM failed on 6 August.
Does not connect to my iPhone. iPhone does show Taycan in Bluetooth.
Porsche Connect does not connect since 6 August.
- Hey Porsche not working.
- Navigation not working.
Mentioned these problems to Eddie. He suspects failed PCM.
- Right front tire TPMS and driver panel show Amber -4 psi messages every time I start the vehicle since 18 August. I have to go into settings, vehicle, tires check for load or switch summer to winter and back to summer tires and then it clears itself until I turn the car off.
- Washer water spray to clean rear camera does not spray camera. Just drips.
- Front right passenger footwell led light continuously falls out of position and dangles. This Footwell panel seems to be lose.
- Nobody sits in the back seat.. Intermittently receive message center rear passenger seat. It thinks a person is sitting in the middle seat. I have to reach back and connect seat belt. No bags or anything on seat. Pressure sensor must have an error.
-Right front passenger seat belt is fraying. Entire length both sides. Unusual wear and tear.
Hardly any use as I am the only occupant driving mostly.

Please also perform the State vehicle registration and sticker due October and swap snow tires onto vehicle. You have them in your storage and please store all season tires you remove.”

Below I have attached images of the dealers records and work completed.

They had to order a new connect control unit for the PCM and seatbelt from Germany. Parts were delivered in two weeks and installed immediately.

I collected the car last week and it only has two new issues that I have found so far created as a result of the service performed.
- World online radio no longer connects (image attached)
- Seat belt tension of the new seatbelt is too loose and bangs against the B pillar on the slightest bump in the road (video attached).

Will be stopping by the dealer next week for them to look at these two issues.

Porsche Taycan Two irritation points after a year of ownership… 44156C1E-0015-4F28-BDDD-C07F482D3E18

Porsche Taycan Two irritation points after a year of ownership… 07F43932-1758-4432-AAF8-642FF512FD8D

Porsche Taycan Two irritation points after a year of ownership… 00273428-C828-40AD-B86E-D19FE7036115

Porsche Taycan Two irritation points after a year of ownership… 991EDF52-C464-43A5-ACF1-E4A0AC43FE40

Porsche Taycan Two irritation points after a year of ownership… 632F9FE5-9985-4A62-90C4-DA7DB050396D

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Kingske
Thank you for your post and thoughts.
I concur with your comments that only a few small glitches for me. Quite happy overall.

I was going to post my One Year Ownersip thread but I will tag onto yours.

This has been my only visit to the dealer except to swap snow and summer tires in one year.

Work to be performed at this visit:
- WMA5 update (in the end my vehicle did not need this update).
- WMA7 (left charging unit in its case in trunk) update
- AMB5 recall
- PCM failed on 6 August.
Does not connect to my iPhone. iPhone does show Taycan in Bluetooth.
Porsche Connect does not connect since 6 August.
- Hey Porsche not working.
- Navigation not working.
Mentioned these problems to Eddie. He suspects failed PCM.
- Right front tire TPMS and driver panel show Amber -4 psi messages every time I start the vehicle since 18 August. I have to go into settings, vehicle, tires check for load or switch summer to winter and back to summer tires and then it clears itself until I turn the car off.
- Washer water spray to clean rear camera does not spray camera. Just drips.
- Front right passenger footwell led light continuously falls out of position and dangles. This Footwell panel seems to be lose.
- Nobody sits in the back seat.. Intermittently receive message center rear passenger seat. It thinks a person is sitting in the middle seat. I have to reach back and connect seat belt. No bags or anything on seat. Pressure sensor must have an error.
-Right front passenger seat belt is fraying. Entire length both sides. Unusual wear and tear.
Hardly any use as I am the only occupant driving mostly.

Please also perform the State vehicle registration and sticker due October and swap snow tires onto vehicle. You have them in your storage and please store all season tires you remove.”

Below I have attached images of the dealers records and work completed.

They had to order a new connect control unit for the PCM and seatbelt from Germany. Parts were delivered in two weeks and installed immediately.

I collected the car last week and it only has two new issues that I have found so far created as a result of the service performed.
- World online radio no longer connects (image attached)
- Seat belt tension of the new seatbelt is too loose and bangs against the B pillar on the slightest bump in the road (video attached).

Will be stopping by the dealer next week for them to look at these two issues.

44156C1E-0015-4F28-BDDD-C07F482D3E18.jpeg

07F43932-1758-4432-AAF8-642FF512FD8D.jpeg

00273428-C828-40AD-B86E-D19FE7036115.jpeg

991EDF52-C464-43A5-ACF1-E4A0AC43FE40.jpeg

632F9FE5-9985-4A62-90C4-DA7DB050396D.jpeg
Thanks for your assessment, @REIL . Sounds like you had to deal with more small irritants than I had. By the way, are you French? (100PourcentFrance)

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
I also have been very unimpressed (really, turned off) by the maps in the Taycan screen(s). The maps and navigation in the non-BEV Porsches of the last several years (recent-generation four-door Porsches) are among the best in the automotive industry, if not *the* very best (better than any maps through Apple CarPlay in terms of utility and responsiveness). I'm wondering why Porsche took something quite excellent and discarded it for their Taycans in lieu of something much worse, map-wise... I use maps so much that it's a huge negative for me, to the point of almost not getting a current-generation Taycan as a result.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
My MY2020 4S was delivered in October 2020. It therefore calls for an evaluation of my experience so far. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase and I would do it again immediately. The car’s many delightful features have been praised in great detail on this forum and in the media at large. Personally, I am only mildly annoyed by the quirky user interface/software and tend to be forgiving there. The only two things that really keep on irritating me are:
1) the very-hard-to-read (white roads on a light grey background) navigation map, and
2) the many and sometimes changing rattles from various areas of the interior, despite two visits to the dealer to have those fixed.
Am I too intolerant or are other forum members also irritated by the same two issues?
Agree re map but either enable satellite view and / or switch to dark / night mode.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
The only two things that really keep on irritating me are:
2) Door panel rattles: interior panels are made in Spain and are made with a "fiberous" material that apparently saves weight. Dealer also acknowledged this. No other current Porsche model door panels are manufactured like this and it can attribute to the rattles owners are experiencing.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I would add the placement of the clock on the drivers screen which gets hidden by the steering wheel and the teeny weeny digital clock on the sport chrono which I can't read anymore. A proper/clock compass would have been so much better.

And Hey Porsche. She takes her time responding and when she does, she's not very smart. I would dump her for Alexa in a flash. Thought I saw Alexa in one of those Lucid videos.

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agree re map but either enable satellite view and / or switch to dark / night mode.
Yes, I tend to switch to satellite view if I want to see anything at all. Night mode is a bit better than day mode but still not super-visible. I am jealous of the clear maps in my wife's BMW. I don't get it: I bought a Cayenne when it just came out, more than fifteen years ago, and it had more legible maps than today's Taycan. Devolution. On the other hand, there are more pressing problems humanity has to face...

Reactions: B61

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Yep, i’m using satellite view only.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I would add the placement of the clock on the drivers screen which gets hidden by the steering wheel and the teeny weeny digital clock on the sport chrono which I can't read anymore. A proper/clock compass would have been so much better.
Good news in that the CT has an optional compass for the dash clock.

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag

And Hey Porsche. She takes her time responding and when she does, she's not very smart. I would dump her for Alexa in a flash. Thought I saw Alexa in one of those Lucid videos.
Yep slow and dumb, even the good looks don’t save her! Siri on CarPlay on the other hand is a big improvement!

Pete85

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, X1 hybrid
Country flag
I don't understand this map problem. I always use only satellite view and I think its very clear and great colors. Navigation is very easy. I have a 2021 4S so don't know if it makes any difference. In the Alps the Satellite View looked fantastic with some green lakes and snowy mountains at the same time ?. Sometimes I also use Waze if I know there are a lot of speed cameras on the road.
I have had my car now for 5 months (11 800 km) and I am very happy with it. There are some software problems like not connecting quickly enough to i-phone or seat memory not behaving correctly but those are minor things, as this car is so fantastic to drive. In the mountains I can't even explain how much I enjoyed it ?.
There is only one complaint for me and that is the quality of the full leather. I have black and already now you can see clearly that the outer bolsters on both front seats are worn. I showed it to Porsche yesterday and they agreed. They will come back with a solution. So far I am more than happy with the quality of Porsche Espoo (Finland) service. What comes to the quality of the leather, my earlier M3:s had Merino and you really can't even compare. Or maybe I was just unlucky and got the "monday" leather.
But as a whole its the best car I have ever owned. It loses maybe slightly in driving experience to my 2011 E92 M3, but the comfort and super solid ride makes totally up for that. My F80 Comp was not this exciting.
Sponsored