ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Please don't shoot the messenger. :rolleyes: And I am still looking forward to my car arrival in October. But I want to keep the forum up to date with Taycan news. The author has some info from Rimac wanting to remove the C1 two-speed transmission when it produced the C2 to save weight and complexity. Frankly I think it's a different beast as it has separate motors with high torque, but there is probably some validity and if Porsche can produce higher RPM motors then maybe future Taycans will not have the gearbox, only time will tell. Nice video of the Rimac motors/inverters. Realize that the price of the Rimac C2 is well over $1M so a different category from a Taycan.

Two-Speed Gearboxes In Electric Sports Cars Are Stupid
InsideEVs
https://insideevs.com/features/436049/rimac-two-speed-gearbox-stupid-video/

Note: IMHO InsideEVs is generally quite Tesla focused so an article that puts a shadow on the Taycan is not unexpected.
Sponsored

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
I don't feel tied to the concept of a two gear EV just because I ordered one. If Porsche thinks they can save weight and complexity with a single speed gearbox and still deliver the Porsche-experience in the future, I expect them to do so.

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Turbo GT, Aventador SVJ, 812 Superfast
Country flag
I don't feel tied to the concept of a two gear EV just because I ordered one. If Porsche thinks they can save weight and complexity with a single speed gearbox and still deliver the Porsche-experience in the future, I expect them to do so.
I agree, there are pros and cons but it is what it is.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
About what I expected from them. They neglected to mention that Tesla tried to do a two speed gearbox on the original roadster and failed.

Then the conclusion of why it is stupid is:

my contention is that it would be a better car without it – lighter, less complex, and more efficient. This mechanical simplification would also translate into longer range, which is always appreciated by buyers, especially of vehicles in Taycan's price range.
Again, not understanding that people in Porsche price range are more interested in driving experience than range.

Childish to label those engineering trade offs as “stupid” Also odd to cite the new Roadsters performance since afaik, that has not been independently verified.

Here is a different view that cites efficiency and benefits and this came out pre-taycan

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1124133_two-speed-transmission-for-evs-could-make-a-comeback

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
InsideEVs is mostly clickbait headlines by re-bloggers, very little original writing. Heavily biased towards the cult of tesla. IMHO

I’m friends with one of their writers (who isn’t heavily biased).