TYD is not a substitute for customer service…

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Also, before I totally hijack this thread…

I guessPorsche are in the situation where they’ll sell their allocations regardless of service standards, so why put the extra effort in? It’s short sighted for building long term relationships but is often the case when demand outstrips supply sadly
Agreed. I've experienced a range of service from the sales guy i used, who was very very good before and after sales, to total indifference/lack of interest/not returning calls etc from other sales guys / servicing.

2 things really related to your point. Firstly don't overlook it costs nothing for people to take some pride in their job (aka my good sales guy) and also that it's not just about the dealerships long term customer relationship, but also sales person / customer. As an example, I've followed my Range Rover dealer across 3 dealerships because he's good, bought different brands via him from his companies other franchises and have pointed a number of other customers his way.

Hot markets don't always last forever, manufacturers, dealers and sales people need to be careful not to burn bridges.
Sponsored

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
couldnt agree more. I’ve built my own multi million pound business (trading for 23 yrs) based on customer service to differentiate us in a saturated market. Maybe Porsche should take some training from my apprentices who excel in customer service!

OP
OP
RAHRCR

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback. Btw, I am not looking to tear down Porsche as a company. It is important for them to know that although TYD is a good tool…. It’s not the right tool for customer engagement when things are clearly off the rails.

They need to do better.

BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
I actually originally ordered a performance model Y and canceled in February after this nonsense (see pic) and horrible tesla communication. Got a Taycan that was being delivered to a local dealer in April (but actually came end of March).

Porsche Taycan TYD is not a substitute for customer service… 414F7B43-CF7C-4E9A-98AE-98D62B6E0D16

Deleted member 7736

I would suggest that if you're having service issues with a particular dealer, then find another dealer. If you're having issues with unexpected delays... I'm not sure how to put this politely but you're just out of touch with reality. Between a pandemic, a war, a semiconductor shortage, battery plant fire, on and on... there's just so much that's outside of Porsche's control. To be expecting a phone call to update you every time something unforeseen and outside of Porsche's control happens is just laughably naive. Let's all remember that it's a luxury car we're talking about here. It's not life or death. If you need to get to work, go buy a Prius until your Taycan arrives. I waited 13 months for a car that was supposed to take 7 months. So what. First-world problems.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
I would suggest that if you're having service issues with a particular dealer, then find another dealer. If you're having issues with unexpected delays... I'm not sure how to put this politely but you're just out of touch with reality. Between a pandemic, a war, a semiconductor shortage, battery plant fire, on and on... there's just so much that's outside of Porsche's control. To be expecting a phone call to update you every time something unforeseen and outside of Porsche's control happens is just laughably naive. Let's all remember that it's a luxury car we're talking about here. It's not life or death. If you need to get to work, go buy a Prius until your Taycan arrives. I waited 13 months for a car that was supposed to take 7 months. So what. First-world problems.
Concur.

Porsche are likely dealing with an influx of new customers and orders from leasing firms. They were never expecting the Taycan to be this popular is my guess.

With everything you mention, it has caused pandemonium and dealers are likely not being told anything because it is so chaotic. Porsche might want to drop orders, as it then eases demand, hence the shoddy customer service so many of us - on both sides of the pond - are experiencing.

Keep their 'whale' customers satisfied and if new customers cancel in frustration, have Porsche lost anything? They can't work out the customer lifetime value of these new buyers and they might have forecast many won't be buying another Porsche since the EV market will be saturated in 2-4 years with luxury marques directly competing with the Taycan.

Tax breaks will also end and a large proportion of buyers will likely find something cheaper, not least where even a £60k Kia or BMW EV now provides a very enjoyably driving experience. There will soon be no difference in acceleration and speed, so there goes another USP for luxury marques.

As we approach autumn, there are yet more things that could happen to delay things:
  • Energy rationing or even planned power cuts. I was in South Africa earlier this year so got to experience the country's infamous "Load Shedding" for two months. It was very frustrating at times and absolutely killed productivity. I never thought I would see the same thing happening in the EU/UK, but it's increasingly likely.
  • Taiwan being invaded by China, which is a major supplier of computer chips and, of all things, brake sensors. Already the CCP hornets nest has been poked by the USA this week, and they will want to save face somehow...
  • A large increase in seasonal respiratory diseases, which incapacitates the entire supply chain of workers, or sanctions are reintroduced, decimating productivity.

Let's hope none of this happens, though I would anticipate it to avoid further disappointment.

I dropped my deposit early Feb this year for a GTS ST. 10th on the list. If we assume ONE allocation per month from Jan, I am expecting no news until October 2023, and no car until Jan 2024.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
It is important for them to know that although TYD is a good tool…. It’s not the right tool for customer engagement when things are clearly off the rails.
I had a mostly uneventful TYD experience in the first half of 2021, with watching the car progress forward and ship without many changes. The tail end of it caught the very beginning of the part shortages, with a last minute 3-week delay at the arriving port. I do think it works relatively well if everything else is working well.

But that was a different time. I have no specific comment on anyone’s current experience. Frustrating though, I’m sure.

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
In recognition of the fact that many of us in this forum have yet to receive our cars, I just needed to get something off my chest.

For those that have not yet taken delivery, we fall into different buckets. Those at the early stages of placing an order, many who are waiting for production of their vehicles to begin, and finally those that are post-production and are crossing their fingers that their vehicle makes it through the logistics bottlenecks to final delivery.

I happened to be in that final stage but have spent considerable time in each of these phases. When accurate, I find that TYD is a nice solution to provide additional detail/context around the phases. It even does a good job of highlighting relatively modest changes to the initial plan.

However, when there are major issues in any of these phases, Porsche needs to employ a more personal touch to engage with its customers. The company is quite creative with design and marketing….there is ample talent that knows how to touch the heart and soul of its customers.

Getting a TYD update that indicates that a completed vehicle which is sitting in a warehouse in Germany will be delayed by an additional 3 months (end of the year) is not good customer service. Even worse is that this forum is often more informed than the dealers themselves. I know Porsche can do better than this.

I know this mini rant wont do much for my personal situation but it is my hope that it will inspire Porsche to re-think how they are handling the many challenges they face to better engage with customers whose primary buying decision is based off of passion.

thanks for reading.
TYD is a gimmick, it has been poorly implemented and causes more stress than anything. Occasionally it is useful but normally it’s inaccurate. I found my sales advisor was much better than TYD and that’s the key to good service with Porsche. The individual

rainwing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Same situation here. expecting a reasonable and responsive customer service but it’s far away.
Cancelled mine and move to other brand.

Deleted member 6348

There’s a chip shortage, a war in Ukraine, and we’re still with pandemic ripples across the whole supply chain. Concurrently, adding fuel to the fire, demand is sky high for cars, especially EVs.

I am not sure how anyone can be surprised by delays and slowdowns. I am still amazed that some people can be so whiny about it. Have you not tried to buy anything of substance since Feb 2020?

You’re waiting a few extra months for the privilege to own one of these amazing cars. Big whoop.

timo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS, Sequoia
Country flag
The car comes when it comes. My wait is almost over, probably looking at mid October by the time I get a slot at PECLA. That will be 10 months from the time I had an allocation.

Have you tried buying anything nice lately? A really nice bike, windows for your house, a nice piece of furniture. There's a wait. Heck, I purchased a custom built rifle 10 years ago and I had to weight 13 months. Anything nice, custom built and worth having is going to require patience. I get the frustration but it goes with the territory.

most_vexing_parse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e-tron, Porsche Taycan GTS, Macan Turbo (order)
Country flag
This thread starts with a false premise, and a lot of people are doubling down on it, and taking things that aren't personal, personally.

First, no one claimed that TYD is a substitute for customer service. TYD is a convenient tool for checking on the status of your vehicle as it progresses through the delivery pipeline. That's it.

Secondly, your customer service relationship is with your dealer, not with Porsche. Porsche makes the cars, your dealer is the middle man, and that is who your customer service relationship is with. If they're not keeping you in the loop, either you didn't set appropriate expectations with your dealer, or you did, and your dealer is not meeting them. If that's the case, take it up with them, as your relationship manager, and don't think it's reflective of the Porsche brand.

Finally, grow up. The world has been through some unprecdented disruptive events in the last few months. You're in a privileged position to even be able to consider committing a lot of money to one of these cars. As such, you almost surely have the capacity to understand what is going on, and how hard it is to adapt to them. You really want a phone call or email every time someone catches COVID, a bomb drops on Ukraine, a factory catches on fire, or a dockworker can't afford to make ends meet because prices are spiraling upwards?

Have some empathy and patience. The people you're complaining about being rude have probably had to deal with hundreds of people (or their liaisons) whining "where the fuck is my car? why can't you just tell me where my car is, or when I'm going to get it?" They probably can't even afford the car you're complaining about not having, give them a fucking break.

Note: none of this to negate that it is frustrating to experience delays. You have a hope, a dream, and a delay dashes those things. That's frustrating. At the same time, try to understand what is going on, and how little control any individual or company has over it. Your dealer doesn't. The people you're bitching to on the phone don't. Porsche doesn't.

Eventually you'll have your car, life is long, and you'll have an amazing experience and plenty of time to enjoy driving it. If that's not good enough, find something else.

PetroK

First Name
Petro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX, Porsche Taycan 4CT
Country flag
Definitely there is polarizing opinions here and seems some people are mixing thing together. I'm for example complaining not about actual delay of the car itself, but about how it is handled and communicated to customers in addition to this I'm taking direct financial loss, because of this. PFS for example lock rate only for 30 days, while BMW FS gave me 90 days in similar situation while iX was being delivered (also with delays). So when you say give them a break it is out of their control, who is gonna give me break (it is out of my control as well), but it is not clear why customer should remain impacted side. Porsche has various options under their control how to step up and make it right for customers.

And also in addition to this I think opinions like "Don't complain or don't buy or if you don't like don't do business with us" this is typical American thing and that's why customer service in general sucks in US. I'm 7 years here, but still can't get used to this. So instead if listening to customer feedback and improving it is easier to say "if you don't like it, don't do business with us"

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
LOL at how people think these challenges are unique to Porsche or within their control. And if I had nickel for every self centered Porschephile who posted on these forums about how they ‘deserve/demand better’…

Neil

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4S, Merc GLE
Country flag
Spare a thought for us poor Porsche customers in Dubai who are not given access to TYD or even the Porsche Connect app for reasons beyond anyone's comprehension for the same 100k plus car ..... Porsche is really testing the limits of goodwill it enjoys from its customers worldwide.
Sponsored