Tyre scrubbing and juddering at full turning lock - only on 21" alloys?

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
hmmm ok thanks - so maybe just something I will have to learn to live with.

Ps: was it worth in your view going for the RSW?
I'm happy RWS, in particular great it's for U turns and tight spots, certainly more manoeuvrable than my previous RS6.
Sponsored

Bertibasset

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I've noticed driving in the wet that at full lock of the steering, it feels the tyre is juddering. Is this common on the car, only on 21"s or only on wet?

Just curious. Had a couple GLC 43 that had this, turned out to be fixed overtime, but didn't expect on the Taycan. I will probably consider a smaller wheel if this is due to the 21s.
Thanks
Yes I am getting the same on my 4s as well as my wife’s Cayenne 21 inch on Taycan and 22 inch on Cayenne more so when surface is wet and cold bit strange and off putting

OJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT (for sale), Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Yep - Boxsters, 911s all have this feature. Not had it on my Taycan yet(20", RAS). It can be disconcerting on sloping lockbloc damp driveways.

Larger the wheel, lower the profile then the less rubber there is making contact withe the surface on full lock (wheels are cambered and offset) and so at very low speeds the front of the car will tend to slip on any damp surface.
Just to confirm that the 21” RS Spider wheels on the GTS do indeed skip/jump when on full lock. Our 4S Sedan and 4S CT were both on 20” Turbo wheels and neither suffered from this.

I had similar on a m140i, and it wasn’t a particularly pleasurable experience back then and neither is it now.

Icy/damp conditions aren’t helping I guess. One to get used to. On the plus side, the RS Spider wheels look fantastic!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Just to confirm that the 21” RS Spider wheels on the GTS do indeed skip/jump when on full lock. Our 4S Sedan and 4S CT were both on 20” Turbo wheels and neither suffered from this.

I had similar on a m140i, and it wasn’t a particularly pleasurable experience back then and neither is it now.

Icy/damp conditions aren’t helping I guess. One to get used to. On the plus side, the RS Spider wheels look fantastic!
Yeah it will be more pronounced on 21" wheels.

I get it on my Boxster's 20" (largest size).but not noticed on my Taycan 20".

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
I get this even before it goes on full lock. I have the 21" RS Spyder rims.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I get this even before it goes on full lock. I have the 21" RS Spyder rims.
Yeah you don't need full lock to start to experience the Ackerman wotsits.

If you look at your front wheels when turned you'll start to see how much rubber isn't actually in contact with the ground (made worse when icey / wet / damp) which leads to the skittering effect.

Nothing to worry about in terms of something being wrong but definitely off putting if not experienced before.

Mr Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S (going), Taycan RWD (incoming)
Country flag
In case the A. E. also involves a big 'CLUNK' sound coming from the front suspension when turning the steering wheel all the way in leaving a parking space etc, then I do experience this with the 20" rims. Started a few weeks ago, in colder weather.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Is this wheel hop / Ackerman effect on the Taycan reduced at all with RAS / RWS option?

I’ve experienced it on current car with summer tyres with 20” rims.

Never noticed it before on various RS Audi’s - maybe the geometry or the Torsen diff setup on those cars 🤷‍♂️ helps?

timc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo, BMW 330e
Country flag
I have a Turbo CT with RWS on 21" summers or 20" winters I can't say I have experienced it.

I try not to use full lock if I can help it and I still try to only move the steering while the car is moving. But I had use full lock earlier today and it was fine.

NickCT2022

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
I have similar issue , tight turns, junctions etc - I thought the tire was hitting the inside of the arch, really off putting. Kind of like when you were young and put too large alloys on the car and insufficient clearance.

I guess just another thing to put up with - but I do love this car!
21” CT Alloys
RWS

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
It isn’t a “problem” per se, it is an inevitable result of the steering geometry of a sporty car designed to optimise tyre slip angle when cornering fast.

The difference required for this means one of the tyres at low speed has the wrong slip angle and does a stick-slip shimmy in low grip conditions.

Getting used to it is part and parcel of appreciating the superb steering when pressing on.

Optimised steering geometry for slow manoeuvring is rubbish for driving at speed.

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
Is this wheel hop / Ackerman effect on the Taycan reduced at all with RAS / RWS option?

I’ve experienced it on current car with summer tyres with 20” rims.

Never noticed it before on various RS Audi’s - maybe the geometry or the Torsen diff setup on those cars 🤷‍♂️ helps?
I have this on my R8, also, but I assumed it was due to the 4WD drive train. Now I know about the AE.
Sponsored