Tyre scrubbing and juddering at full turning lock - only on 21" alloys?

MAVG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 4s (going); MY22 CT 4s (on order)
I've noticed driving in the wet that at full lock of the steering, it feels the tyre is juddering. Is this common on the car, only on 21"s or only on wet?

Just curious. Had a couple GLC 43 that had this, turned out to be fixed overtime, but didn't expect on the Taycan. I will probably consider a smaller wheel if this is due to the 21s.
Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

MAVG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
does it still happen on the 20"s?

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
does it still happen on the 20"s?
i think it is more the width than the diameter. I believe the rear steering may decrease the symptoms. Just a thought.

OP
OP

MAVG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i think it is more the width than the diameter. I believe the rear steering may decrease the symptoms. Just a thought.
Ah, fair point. It annoys me a bit so as have another on order I can change. may consider the RWS with 20s instead

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Ah, fair point. It annoys me a bit so as have another on order I can change. may consider the RWS with 20s instead
FWIW – I have 20" Taycan Turbo Aero with Pirelli P-Zero Winter NF0 tyres with an air temperature in Dublin hovering around 5 degrees C and I am not experiencing this.

Previously I had a Panamera on 21" Turbo wheels and summer Michelin Pilot Sport 4's and experienced the Ackermann effect all the time. My Panamera also had RWS.

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I've noticed driving in the wet that at full lock of the steering, it feels the tyre is juddering. Is this common on the car, only on 21"s or only on wet?

Just curious. Had a couple GLC 43 that had this, turned out to be fixed overtime, but didn't expect on the Taycan. I will probably consider a smaller wheel if this is due to the 21s.
Thanks
My Panamera was really bad at it. Haven’t noticed the effect on the Taycan.

OP
OP

MAVG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My Panamera was really bad at it. Haven’t noticed the effect on the Taycan.
are you on 20s? I am experiencing with the mission e wheels with around 8-9 degrees celcius outside

OP
OP

MAVG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FWIW – I have 20" Taycan Turbo Aero with Pirelli P-Zero Winter NF0 tyres with an air temperature in Dublin hovering around 5 degrees C and I am not experiencing this.

Previously I had a Panamera on 21" Turbo wheels and summer Michelin Pilot Sport 4's and experienced the Ackermann effect all the time. My Panamera also had RWS.
thanks,was it the same on summer tyres? Might not need the RWS then

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I experienced this judder yesterday whilst doing a U-turn with full lock. I have the 21-inch wheels but no RAS. Good to know this is normal.

285kph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW X5 - 2021 Taycan - 2022 BMW X5 45e
Country flag
Haven't really noticed that much, if at all, on my RWD Taycan on 20" wheels, no RWS. On my Carrera 4S the effect was faintly ridiculous.

OP
OP

MAVG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I experienced this judder yesterday whilst doing a U-turn with full lock. I have the 21-inch wheels but no RAS. Good to know this is normal.
ah good to hear, I was quite surprised as wasn’t expecting and then experienced it a few times recently as it gets colder…would be keen to hear more experiences from other forum members and although love the look of the 21s, think might sacrifice that for the 20s in that case

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
I get mild judder when tyres are cold, below 5 degrees outside temp, 20" alloys CT with RWS.

Reactions: B61
OP
OP

MAVG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I get mild judder when tyres are cold, below 5 degrees outside temp, 20" alloys CT with RWS.
hmmm ok thanks - so maybe just something I will have to learn to live with.

Ps: was it worth in your view going for the RSW?
Sponsored