Tyres. Get the Pirelli

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My car was delivered on the Goodyear F1 eagles on 21s and have done 7k miles with them. I then had a courtesy car Taycan on 21s and found the car rode and handled better. It was on the Pirelli p zero elect.
I changed the front tyres on my car to the Pirelli. I cannot stress how much better both the ride and handling have improved.
Sponsored

mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag
I don't recall reading anywhere that it is a good idea to mix brands on a car; in fact the statement is usually the opposite --- run the same exact tire brand/model on every corner of the vehicle.

I guess if it were an old beat up junker it would not matter as much, but for a high performance Taycan I predict you are headed for a big problem sometime in the near future..... hope I am wrong.

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
On the Taycan, would you consider P Zero also better vs. Michelin PS4S?

I had a 991.2 4 GTS and both P Zero (delivered with) and swapped for Michelin later on (summer tires). I found it to offer more confidence and control, be more progressive when you reached the limit on twisty mountain roads. The shoulder on Michelin was giving you more details and warn of imminent danger... just my feeling

totally agree on NOT mixing tires. Everyone at least said so at Porsche and high quality tire shops...

My car was delivered on the Goodyear F1 eagles on 21s and have done 7k miles with them. I then had a courtesy car Taycan on 21s and found the car rode and handled better. It was on the Pirelli p zero elect.
I changed the front tyres on my car to the Pirelli. I cannot stress how much better both the ride and handling have improved.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
On the Taycan, would you consider P Zero also better vs. Michelin PS4S?
Unfortunately there is no 21" Michelin Pilot Sport 4 with an NF0 rating – so for summer its currently either Goodyear or Pirelli. Different for the 20" wheel size where there are more options, including the Michelin.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Unfortunately there is no 21" Michelin Pilot Sport 4 with an NF0 rating – so for summer its currently either Goodyear or Pirelli. Different for the 20" wheel size where there are more options, including the Michelin.
I think another road trip is coming up for you? At least here in France the 21 inch seem available.

Porsche Taycan Tyres. Get the Pirelli 8ED5C750-616A-465C-9606-E976093E7744

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think another road trip is coming up for you?
Good memory! Yes – have an across UK -> Chunnel -> Denmark -> Norway -> Sweden and back trip planned for the Christmas season. However, its a little bit uncertain due to current pandemic situation. Fingers crossed, I am hoping the combination of the EU covid pass and vaccinations keep freedom-of-movement open with safety.

At least here in France the 21 inch seem available.

8ED5C750-616A-465C-9606-E976093E7744.png
Not in NF0 which is the Taycan variant. You'll want to get the correct version due to the additional weight of an EV – the NF0's having reinforced sidewalls.

Interestingly there is no Pilot Sport 4S that is rated NF0 for the Taycan – only the older Pilot Sport 4 – regardless of size.

I am hoping the dedicated new EV tyre from Michelin will be available in the future: https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/tyres/michelin-pilot-sport-ev

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
good point. so you are saying that even with the right specs (104 load) etc. the tire won't be good if it's not NF0 , as it would not have reinforced sidewalls ?

good luck for your upcoming trip.

Good memory! Yes – have an across UK -> Chunnel -> Denmark -> Norway -> Sweden and back trip planned for the Christmas season. However, its a little bit uncertain due to current pandemic situation. Fingers crossed, I am hoping the combination of the EU covid pass and vaccinations keep freedom-of-movement open with safety.

Not in NF0 which is the Taycan variant. You'll want to get the correct version due to the additional weight of an EV – the NF0's having reinforced sidewalls.

Interestingly there is no Pilot Sport 4S that is rated NF0 for the Taycan – only the older Pilot Sport 4 – regardless of size.

I am hoping the dedicated new EV tyre from Michelin will be available in the future: https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/tyres/michelin-pilot-sport-ev

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
good point. so you are saying that even with the right specs (104 load) etc. the tire won't be good if it's not NF0 , as it would not have reinforced sidewalls ?
To be honest, I haven't really agonised over it for one very specific reason. When I changed my insurance from my previous car (Panamera Turbo S) to Taycan, they added an explicit clause/addition to my policy saying that I must only use NF0 tyres on it.

I was surprised an insurance company would be so knowledgable. I'm happy to abide by the insurance stipulation and so haven't read too much around alternatives.

When I switched over to NF0 Pirelli Winters recently, my tyre place was a) surprised that there was such a specific tyre – not only for a brand (which is common) but for a specific model and b) said that his Italian based Pirelli wholesaler said that indeed this tyre was special for EV's and that Pirelli had spent a good bit of effort on R&D for it.

I was already sold on the tyre – this wasn't sales pitch stuff – it was more my local tyre shop – who I trust – just learning about the specifics of this car and its fussy tyres. I'm the only Taycan customer he has.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I love the way Pirellis drive, but they don't last very long.

On my 911 I had to replace the rears every 6K or so and the fronts at 10K or 11K.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag

On my 911 I had to replace the rears every 6K or so and the fronts at 10K or 11K.
Those things usually go together.
Tyres with a long life tend to have less grip.
It is construction dependant too but generally speaking tyres with the best grip inevitably have the shortest life.

caslca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TTS
Country flag
I switched my 911TT tires to Michelin ps4s(non-NF0) from the OEM N2 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. Must say it was quite noticeable how much better they handled. I was agonizing about going off porsche-specific tires, but the PS4S are out of this world honestly. They do much better in colder temps and tire wear as well.

I will be switching my taycan's 21" to the ps4s, possibly going for the slightly wider 315s in the back since they don't seem to make 305s

This video does a good job at showcasing them:

OP
OP
Taycanturbolondon

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Unfortunately the only choices for the 21s NF0 rated on the `Taycan are only Pirelli or Goodyear. 100% get the Pirelli. If there was a Michelin PS4s option I would definitely get them but unfortunately not

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Unfortunately the only choices for the 21s NF0 rated on the `Taycan are only Pirelli or Goodyear. 100% get the Pirelli. If there was a Michelin PS4s option I would definitely get them but unfortunately not
Which Goodyear did you get? There are Asymmetric 3 and Asymmetric 5.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag

Pirelli are like Italian Ice Cream...
Very good and sticky - but dont last long.