UK 12V issue - what should I do?

Bobby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I picked up my Taycan 4S on 9th Jan and had two instances where Porsche Assist had to come and open the car because it was completely dead. It has now been taken on a flat bed truck to the dealer! The dealer is telling me that a software fix available "sometime in March" but in the meantime I have been requested to:
  1. Not to put the car on charge overnight
  2. Ensure that once the car is charged, to disconnect the charger soon afterwards
  3. Keep the key >10m away from the car.
The car has done 204 miles, 70 of which is the journey from the dealer to home when I collected the car.

QUESTION - should I reject the car as not fit for purpose?
Sponsored

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
Well I would say that's totally unacceptable. Unclear if these problems are specific to a particular car or if you would have the same problem with a replacement. Are they giving you another Taycan to use in the meantime?

What charger are you using? Any use of Porsche Connect while it's charging?

snb7x

First Name
Bertie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan S, Z4 3.0i Conv, VW Golf & Taycan Turbo (awaited)
Country flag
Well I would say that's totally unacceptable. Unclear if these problems are specific to a particular car or if you would have the same problem with a replacement. Are they giving you another Taycan to use in the meantime?

snb7x

First Name
Bertie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan S, Z4 3.0i Conv, VW Golf & Taycan Turbo (awaited)
Country flag
Use of a demo while Porsche lobbied by the dealer sort out the “fix” would be appropriate you would think.
Hope it gets sorted for you speedily and you can become a confident and happy Taycan driver again quickly.

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
I picked up my Taycan 4S on 9th Jan and had two instances where Porsche Assist had to come and open the car because it was completely dead. It has now been taken on a flat bed truck to the dealer! The dealer is telling me that a software fix available "sometime in March" but in the meantime I have been requested to:
  1. Not to put the car on charge overnight
  2. Ensure that once the car is charged, to disconnect the charger soon afterwards
  3. Keep the key >10m away from the car.
The car has done 204 miles, 70 of which is the journey from the dealer to home when I collected the car.

QUESTION - should I reject the car as not fit for purpose?
Who is the Porsche dealer? Personally I would reject it.

I picked mine up from Porsche Reading in late 2020 (MY21 4S) and have had no issues. I think they set-up the car/updated all the s/w and made sure everything worked before I took delivery.

The only minor problem I have experienced is the key flashing all the time which drained the key battery - I swapped that out and moved it further away from the car - no issues since. I hope I have not jinxed things now ;-)

Good luck.

OP
OP

Bobby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag

Using a Ohme charger or a Polar charger (I have both)

OP
OP

Bobby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Who is the Porsche dealer? Personally I would reject it.

I picked mine up from Porsche Reading in late 2020 (MY21 4S) and have had no issues. I think they set-up the car/updated all the s/w and made sure everything worked before I took delivery.

The only minor problem I have experienced is the key flashing all the time which drained the key battery - I swapped that out and moved it further away from the car - no issues since. I hope I have not jinxed things now ;-)

Good luck.
Thanks - that's where my head is at the moment!

OP
OP

Bobby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag

They have loaned me a brand new Panamera - but my concern is this problem may be the thin edge of the wedge.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If you have / get the car back...

In other threads, the following recommendations have been made if using the PMCC. Log in to the PMCC web interface as Customer Service (using the Web Tech User password on the little paper you received with the PMCC). Go into settings then disable the Power Line Communications interface and Power Line Connection to the vehicle (two different settings). UNLESS you are also using the Porsche Home Energy Manager. Then try a few overnight charges the way you would normally / conveniently want to use them - but with the frunk unlocked. Ignore what the dealer is telling you about not charging overnight and unplugging as soon as it's charged - that's just Porsche grasping at straws for a problem they either don't understand yet or about which they aren't sharing enough details with dealers and customers.

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
They have loaned me a brand new Panamera - but my concern is this problem may be the thin edge of the wedge.
If you could get them to loan you a Taycan for a few days maybe that would shine some light on whether it's a problem with your setup or with the car.

Did you use the Porsche charger at all?

I think I'd return it.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
You can reject the car. It is unclear when the fix will be released and what it will fix. There was already a fix last August that did not fix the issue completely. You can always check this forum in a few months and but another Taycan if/when you confirm that the issues were fixed.

I wish we had the option to reject our car in the US. I feel I paid $$$ to be Porsche's beta tester.

What the dealer is telling you to do is from a recent bulletin. You can read more details in this post https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/taycan-12v-drain-issues-caught-in-the-act.3729/post-51293

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
This is the TSB for the issue (dealer will already have this).

Why are you not using the supplied Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (PMC) or Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC)?

You have 30 days to return vehicle which is tempting if you have that 'Friday car' feeling but it could simply be the dealer didn't PDI the car properly and the battery was already low.

I suspect everything else will be fine (this forum, like Google, is your friend ;))

Attachments

OP
OP

Bobby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Thanks for all your comments - very helpful. I was asked by the dealer principal to speak to their head technician and he did not convince me that the fix would be available in March or that it would work. So I have formally rejected the car and the dealer principal has said he will support me with my claim. I hope Porsche are sensible about this as I have been a loyal Porsche owner for over 20 years and have had several 911s and other models. Let's see what happens.

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Jensen Interceptor
Country flag
As communicated in earlier posts, I rejected my car after it died on the open road and neither the dealer nor Porsche themselves were able to provide any explanation. There were no quibbles about them giving me a full refund, although Porsche have not been in touch since.

OP
OP

Bobby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
As communicated in earlier posts, I rejected my car after it died on the open road and neither the dealer nor Porsche themselves were able to provide any explanation. There were no quibbles about them giving me a full refund, although Porsche have not been in touch since.

Thank you Martin. Very useful feedback.
Sponsored