UK Budget 2020 extends plug in grant to 2022/2023

Squarecircle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4s +
Country flag
Good news from the budget for people in the UK with electric cars :

1. Company car rates have been left alone and as previously announced - so enjoy the 0% from April.
2. Plug in grant to be extended to 2022/23 - it was due to expire at the end of the month
3. VED expensive car charge (over £40K list) has been scrapped on electric cars registered after 1st April.
4. Investment - "support drivers to move away from polluting vehicles, the Budget announces investment in electric vehicle charging infrastructure, which will ensure that drivers are never more than 30 miles from a rapid charging station, provides £532 million for consumer incentives for ultra-low emission vehicles, and reduces taxes on zero emission vehicles". Taken with a pinch of salt.

Not so great for the entrepreneurs out there with the tax changes though but that is a longer term problem.
Sponsored

pjb

1 to 3 all help - no 3 a pleasant surprise.

Not sure how much Tesla has spent on thier network in the UK but by far the best - I know they started 4 yeasrs ago, just need Ionity to do the same - fingers crossed, as nearest charge from me in Oxford is Milton Keynes & that is showing as out of order, I know can use others & will but need Porsche to push this with Ionity

jammin88

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Huracan LP580-2 Spyder
Country flag
Grant has been extended, yes. But now excludes cars over £50k, so we’re all shafted ** see new post below! : https://www.gov.uk/government/news/plug-in-vehicle-grants-update-following-todays-budget

Interestingly, It mentions applying ‘ to orders placed on the portal’ After midnight tonight.

I’m guessing that’s some portal dealers have access to... anyone know if their order has already been put onto this magical portal...? I’d hazard a guess it can’t be done until a reg number is generated so we’re probably all screwed regardless.

Last edited:

jammin88

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Huracan LP580-2 Spyder
Country flag
Ah, bit more info on the portal at: https://assets.publishing.service.g...a/file/768517/plug-in-portal-dft-guidance.pdf

Seems ‘orders’ Can be put onto this well in advance - so anything already put on there will be fine and get the original £3500 grant.

Anything not on there won’t be eligible as the grant has been pulled for cars over £50k.

I guess it depends how organised each dealer has been as to whether they have put it on there in advance of today.

If they haven’t, I don’t see as that’s the customer’s issue and the dealer will owe you £3500 inc VAT off your final invoice.

jammin88

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Huracan LP580-2 Spyder
Country flag
Reading more... point 3.9 of the government guidance clearly states:

“ We recognise that some manufacturers have long lead times and in this case the order should be started as soon as a ‘contract’ has been signed with the customer”.

If the dealer hasn’t done that, then that’s on their head.

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag
What was the expensive charge amount for number 3 before it was scrapped?

is this in the quote I have for my car already so do I save cash?

jammin88

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Huracan LP580-2 Spyder
Country flag
Yes. Your annul car tax will now be free instead of £320/year

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
My £3,500 OLEV grant was placed on the portal ages ago and clarified with my dealer last week as I was advised by a friend who’s in BMW management that they had sent emails out to all dealerships advising that they need to upload all applications to the portal

they then update the system once they have a VIN and Number plate for the car and then claim once the car is collected Im led to believe

jammin88

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Huracan LP580-2 Spyder
Country flag
Sounds ideal! But I have zero faith in my dealer...! I won’t be surprised if they haven’t done it..

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Sounds good. But same, doubt my dealer has done this. Just emailed my sales rep & dealer principal. If not a discussion will need to happen!

Weston

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.1 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Ah, that might explain why I have missed calls from my dealer!

Woodie4s

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
996 C4S bmw i3
Country flag
Ah, that might explain why I have missed calls from my dealer!
Over on the UK delivery thread, maybe we show have a common approach to dealers if they have not registered, especially as we have all paid deposits a long while ago- making a “contract”.

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
I’m sure all the dealers would have done it, they have till midnight so if they hadn’t done them before today someone would have done them today

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I’m sure all the dealers would have done it, they have till midnight so if they hadn’t done them before today someone would have done them today
I’m not so sure I have your same confidence. But I hope I’m wrong.
Sponsored