s5urf

First Name
stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
I know this has been covered before probably but I am an EV and forum newbie and so... confused. UK based so UK answers only please.

About to finalise spec and need to decide what charge/cable options I need for mostly at home charging with the occasional foray further afield?

- do I need the DC on-board booster?
- do I need the mode 3 cable?
- anythng else?

I don't and won't have 3 phase supply.

I think there might be a question over the on-board booster in that it is relatively useless now but might become useful if Tesla open up their chargers as they have hinted. Is that correct, or nonsense (or something in between)?

I am doing separate research about what wall box to buy, but either way I will need a cable to plug in to that and a 3 pin cable for when I am at my second home (until I fit dedicated charger to that too). I think the latter is supplied as standard but it isn't really clear.

Either replies or links to any useful threads would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

OP
OP
s5urf

s5urf

First Name
stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
Thank you. I think, in summary, I need the 150W booster to take advantage of fast (DC) public charging and I also need the type 2 mode 3 cable to take advantage of AC public charging. And I don't need anything else (and if I did, I could get it afterwards since the booster is the only thing built in to the car). 3 phase or workplace use is irrelevant for me. So hopefully I can keep it simple!

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
In the end I went with the 150kw option (it's a must have imo) and the standard 'public charging cable'? which I use with our home charger.

I bought a separate discrete untethered charger (pic: Sync EV) - but only because the Standard Porsche charger wasn't ideal for our home set up. Garage is a gym and mounting the charger wouldn't have worked.

But if you can mount the Porsche charger, it may be better as it is specifically designed to work with the car.

Porsche Taycan UK charging accessories 20210606_102610

im85288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
My advice would be to get a tethered charge point installed, having to constantly plug cables in and put them away after charging seems like far too much messing about to me.

I don’t have a Taycan yet but do have a Tesla and always just keep the charging cable in the car stored in the “frunk” in case I ever need it when out and about. At home it’s as simple as plugging in the tethered cable and wrap away once done.

OP
OP
s5urf

s5urf

First Name
stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
My advice would be to get a tethered charge point installed, having to constantly plug cables in and put them away after charging seems like far too much messing about to me.

I don’t have a Taycan yet but do have a Tesla and always just keep the charging cable in the car stored in the “frunk” in case I ever need it when out and about. At home it’s as simple as plugging in the tethered cable and wrap away once done.
agreed - since the car will be outside and not under cover, taking out and putting away a cable in often wet and windy weather here on Anglesey will not be fun!

OP
OP
s5urf

s5urf

First Name
stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
In the end I went with the 150kw option (it's a must have imo) and the standard 'public charging cable'? which I use with our home charger.

I bought a separate discrete untethered charger (pic: Sync EV) - but only because the Standard Porsche charger wasn't ideal for our home set up. Garage is a gym and mounting the charger wouldn't have worked.

But if you can mount the Porsche charger, it may be better as it is specifically designed to work with the car.

20210606_102610.jpg
Thanks. WIll go for the 150KW option. Do you also have the "type 2 mode 3" cable as an extra for AC public charging?

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Thanks. WIll go for the 150KW option. Do you also have the "type 2 mode 3" cable as an extra for AC public charging?
No, I only went with the two options in pic.

I keep the cable in the frunk and just attach it to the home charger when I need a charge.

Personally, I prefer the untethered home charger as I wanted it as discreet as possible and don't find it too much hassle plugging both ends in.

Porsche Taycan UK charging accessories Screenshot_20210929-162912_Office
Sponsored