OP
OP

Amy84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Correct - std PMC and get a Sparky to run the supply and mount the unit for you. Should be at most £450.
Legend, thank yous!!
Sponsored

ccooke01

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S and ID.4
Country flag
Correct - std PMC and get a Sparky to run the supply and mount the unit for you. Should be at most £450.
If you plan to have the charger mounted outside I think you would need a Charger Dock.

OP
OP

Amy84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If you plan to have the charger mounted outside I think you would need a Charger Dock.
I think there is a dock that comes with the standard kit?

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
i think there’s a wall mounting kit, but the full dock (I.e. the cabinet that mounts on the wall with Porsche badging) is definitely an extra.

ccooke01

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S and ID.4
Country flag
Hi Amy84,

The kit that comes with the PMCC is fine if you plan mount the charger inside:

Porsche Taycan (UK) Charging, extras and home installation. I don’t get it 1612339205894

You can order a "Charger Dock", which allows the PMCC to be locked inside the unit, it also prevents any "tampering" with the commando socket, it seems to be the choice for mounting outside.

Porsche Taycan (UK) Charging, extras and home installation. I don’t get it 1612339373658

This picture above is from a thread on this board, it has a number of PMCC chargers and third party options mounted indoors and outside.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/show-your-home-charging-setup-for-your-taycan.3032/

ccooke01

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S and ID.4
Country flag
OP
OP

Amy84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks everyone. Annoyingly on the Porsche configurator, it won't let you add the Charging Dock unless you take the PMCC.

I will want to use the PMC outside and sounds like i will need to house it inside a unit... anyone know if you can get these separately?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The PMC unit is shallower (thinner) than the PMCC and therefore doesn't fit snugly into the wall dock (this is a pain).

This picture shows you what it would look like and as you can see it isn't as good as the PMCC for which the dock was originally designed (seems short sighted). It would however provide a degree of weather protection. Read the PMC manual and I think the advice is to install with the basic mounts preferably indoors (not mandated but...).

The cost of the PMCC can be reduced by selecting the "Substitution: Public charging cable instead of Mobile Charger Plus" option which deselects the PMC and reduces the cost accordingly by £210. By doing so you also get the "Mode 3 charging cable for charging at public (AC) chargers" for free.

Then select "Cable Connection between Control Unit and Vehicle: 7.5m" which is free (and you'll need it), add the PMCC and you'll get the same outcome for £210 or so less - around £557.

Last edited:

OP
OP

Amy84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The PMC unit is shallower (thinner) than the PMCC and therefore doesn't fit snugly into the wall dock (this is a pain).

This picture shows you what it would look like and as you can see it isn't as good as the PMCC for which the dock was originally designed (seems short sighted). It would however provide a degree of weather protection. Read the PMC manual and I think the advise is to install with the basic mounts preferably indoors (not mandated but...).

The cost of the PMCC can be reduced by selecting the "Substitution: Public charging cable instead of Mobile Charger Plus" option which deselects the PMC and reduces the cost accordingly by £210. By doing so you also get the "Mode 3 charging cable for charging at public (AC) chargers" for free.

Then select "Cable Connection between Control Unit and Vehicle: 7.5m" which is free (and you'll need it), add the PMCC and you'll get the same outcome for £210 or so less - around £557.
Thanks as always Adrian, and it definitely looked odd inside that dock!

Paid the deposit now. Can't wait :)

elberk

First Name
Elber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5, Kia e-Niro
I will want to use the PMC outside and sounds like i will need to house it inside a unit... anyone know if you can get these separately?
Why should there be the need to have an extra housing for using the PMC outside? Isn't it waterproof on its own?

[LifeHack]
Someone pointed me to another thing. The basic dock of the Audi e-tron charger looks fairly the same like the Porsche one, with the exception that it can be locked with a key. Thus the PMC could not be taken to simply out of the dock by everybody. Maybe this a solution for some PMC owners.

https://www.9tro.com/media/cars/audi-e-tron-power-point

Porsche Taycan (UK) Charging, extras and home installation. I don’t get it 1612469739052

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It is not clear from the PMC manual if 100% waterproof except advising to mount it in a sheltered location.

I wouldn't risk full exposure to the elements.

OP
OP

Amy84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It is not clear from the PMC manual if 100% waterproof except advising to mount it in a sheltered location.

I wouldn't risk full exposure to the elements.
Going to ask them and I'll add the answer to the thread in case it helps anyone down the line

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag
If you are planning to have a mobile charger then far better to keep the Porsche charger in the car and get something like a zappi (if you are in the U.K.) in my opinion.
Sponsored