Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I have always charged from home so far.....with a single test charge at a nearby Gridserve.

Got some longer journeys planned and just wondering which providers to generally target and which to avoid?

Ionity obv if nearby I do know.
Sponsored

mangobay

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST 2023. Cayman GT4 (981); BMW X5 40i
Country flag
Hi. The options are changing regularly but I am finding Instavolt very reliable.

gdavison

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne E-Hybrid, Boxster GTS
Country flag
Apologies if folk already know abount things like this ,, Still learning what the knowledge base is like here .. Have a look at ZapMap which is probably the best page for a summary of all the networks (as well as a reasonable route planning capability) .. Back in my Tesla P85P and 85D days it was how we planned charging and its continued to improve over the years. Crowd sourced info re what chargers work and are dead etc

https://www.zap-map.com/

Mobile Apps worth looking at as well include Plugshare and WattsUp

Then PodPoint and BP Pulse Apps as well for their own networks

Generally ignore any chance of a working Ecotricity charger .. they where always terrible

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have always charged from home so far.....with a single test charge at a nearby Gridserve.

Got some longer journeys planned and just wondering which providers to generally target and which to avoid?

Ionity obv if nearby I do know.
For Scotland - Chargeplace Scotland. Shell & BP but check each garage ahead of time, Porsche dealership. Time to order up some RFID cards!

For BP and Shell download their apps to check locations.

OP
OP
Fish Fingers

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I used an E-On Drive 150kw/h
Charger yesterday.

Worked first time and got full speed for a while.
Contactless card payment cost 39p kw/h.

Will defo add them onto the 'positive' list.

JamesP

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag
I used an E-On Drive 150kw/h
Charger yesterday.

Worked first time and got full speed for a while.
Contactless card payment cost 39p kw/h.

Will defo add them onto the 'positive' list.
I am in the process of speccing my Taycan and have been considering the 150kw option. So I assume that you have that option to get the speed? Many thanks for any advice.

OP
OP
Fish Fingers

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I am in the process of speccing my Taycan and have been considering the 150kw option. So I assume that you have that option to get the speed? Many thanks for any advice.
It depends on a number of things including which charger you are using (400v or 800v) and current battery level and temperature etc.

There are whole threads on the 150kw option - but the bottom line in UK is, for the cost always tick the box.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/150kw-charger-dc-charger.2553/

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
As per above but simply put there is a legacy of DC public chargers out there (including some new) which are > 50kW DC but only rated at 400v, including the Tesla Supercharger network (120kW) which is soon to be accessible to all. To take advantage of the higher power and therefore speed of this type of unit you need to add this option.

Taycan is 800v architecture and so can take advantage of the most powerful and fastest 350kW units out there but these are fairly thin on the ground.

Cheap as chips and better to have than not.

gdavison

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good to see the survey reflects my feeling of Ecotricity... last & worst ever network

However I hear good things about Gridserve (joint 5th) and as they bought the old ecotricity network they gained access to the Motorway Service stations that for years had been locked up by the monopoly agreement ecotricity had. Gridserve recently announced plans to "redo" the old network with multiple DC chargers, which is great news for all

Gridserve Announcement

gdavison

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
2020 survey summary which can be found here was 2201 people of which 98% where confirmed EV/PHEV users

2021 was "over 3000" .. details here

jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
Years ago the Tesla SuC was brilliant, since the Model3 came along you are just surrounded my travelling salesman so I would mark it very low simply for that reason….
Sponsored