First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera 4e Hybrid
Country flag
Hi guys,
I have a loan car for the day. It’s a brilliant 4s in crayon with an amazing spec.
I have a panamera 4e hybrid so am considering the change.
I have a rolec 7.2ke charger installed at home running of its own 32amp fuse board.

ive plugged the car in using the type 2 cable I had for my Panamera and also tried the cables that come with the 4S and when I plug it in, the console reports charging at 0.10mi/min
Can anyone tell me if this is right? I’m a bit confused on all this kw/h and need to know if my charger is not suitable
I know I have single phase and my rolec seemed to charge my panamera with 3 odd hours.
Is there something I have to set.
In my sons polestar there is a setting where we can restrict the car to a certain ampage and he has his set to 32amp l.
Would really appreciate someone giving me a realistic “how long does it take to charge a 4s to full over a Uk home with a 7.2kw charger which I understand is quiet common for a home ev install.

david

Porsche Taycan UK charging on 7.2kw rolec B8ED67DD-DCB3-4C2B-8D34-B28C118F3342

Porsche Taycan UK charging on 7.2kw rolec 688994BB-9757-4932-9EC4-DD2379AEDE7D

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Press on that 0.1 mile/ min and change it to kW! Than you will see how much power goes into the battery!

OP
OP

frensham

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera 4e Hybrid
Country flag
Ok thanks. So it shows 3.35kW
I thought I had a proper charger which the installer said was 7.2kw.
Could it be the cable or any settings I need to adjust

OP
OP

frensham

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera 4e Hybrid
Country flag
Ok thanks. So it shows 3.35kW
I thought I had a proper charger which the installer said was 7.2kw.
Could it be the cable or any settings I need to adjust
Porsche Taycan UK charging on 7.2kw rolec 46844776-2C0A-494C-9964-21CA4C6A2516

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Doesn’t look like it’s set up for 7.2kw charging. Mine reads 0.3 miles per minute on a 7.2kw rolec charger

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
Is it definitely a 32A (7.2Kw) charger? only reason I ask is that I’m pretty sure a Rolex do 16A ones too, which would account for the low rate. Or (as suggested above) it’s not configured to 32A.

What’s the rating of the MCB behind the perspex panel? If It’s 40A then it’s a 7.2Kw unit which I guess must be configured lower somewhere.

OP
OP

frensham

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera 4e Hybrid
Country flag
Thanks guys I will check.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
0.3miles / minute is correct for 7.4kW (PMCC 22kW charger on a 32A circuit). Does sound like you are on reduced amps or the charger is limited to half of that.

You will get a free charger Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (PMC+) 11kW (max) with your Taycan if you order one which will sit happily on your existing 32A circuit. You can pay more for the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC) which can deliver up to 22kW. Note that to get the max from either PMCC or PMC+ you will need a 3 phase supply and the 22kW AC Charger upgrade (££££) on the car which becomes very expensive and arguable pointless if you have Rapid / Ultrafast chargers near to hand.

So, standard PMC+ will give you 7.4kW on 32A and is perfect for overnight charging from SOC (State of Charge) 40% to 85% (recommended maximum for daily charging).

OP
OP

frensham

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera 4e Hybrid
Country flag
Hi W1nge and all
So the rolec has a breaker on it but it doesn’t indicate any ampage but it does have something that says 40A

however I came home and then found a Porsche cable which is listed as a 32amp cable and it started charging at 6.34 showing 0.30mi/min

worked for 10 mins to 20 mins and thenthe fuse board trips.
Tried a few times and same problem

then I used the same cable and plugged it into my sons polestar2. It works and is charging at 31amps according to his screen. Been on charge for 1hr and it hasn’t tripped.

Any thoughts.
I intend to buy the far tomorrow!
David

elberk

First Name
Elber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5, Kia e-Niro
Hi David,

Hi W1nge and all
So the rolec has a breaker on it but it doesn’t indicate any ampage but it does have something that says 40A

however I came home and then found a Porsche cable which is listed as a 32amp cable and it started charging at 6.34 showing 0.30mi/min

worked for 10 mins to 20 mins and thenthe fuse board trips.
Tried a few times and same problem

then I used the same cable and plugged it into my sons polestar2. It works and is charging at 31amps according to his screen. Been on charge for 1hr and it hasn’t tripped.

Any thoughts.
I intend to buy the far tomorrow!
David
What type of On board charger the car is equipped with? 11kW or 22kW? It is very strange that the polestar charges and the Taycan not.

UKTIVO

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
0.3miles / minute is correct for 7.4kW (PMCC 22kW charger on a 32A circuit). Does sound like you are on reduced amps or the charger is limited to half of that.

You will get a free charger Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (PMC+) 11kW (max) with your Taycan if you order one which will sit happily on your existing 32A circuit. You can pay more for the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC) which can deliver up to 22kW. Note that to get the max from either PMCC or PMC+ you will need a 3 phase supply and the 22kW AC Charger upgrade (££££) on the car which becomes very expensive and arguable pointless if you have Rapid / Ultrafast chargers near to hand.

So, standard PMC+ will give you 7.4kW on 32A and is perfect for overnight charging from SOC (State of Charge) 40% to 85% (recommended maximum for daily charging).
I’ve just exactly this. Swapped out a rolec 32a charger for the Porsche charger connect. i have the charger on its own circuit but even so the Rolec almost always tripped the house distribution board. (We also have an electric Aga so the amps draw could be large). What I found is the Porsche is much more gentle on the power draw... it starts off low and increases to its max available. So far we’ve had no trips at all.

Freakzilla9

First Name
Zain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche cayenne hybrid
Country flag
I’m getting the full 11kwh speed on a 3 phase but when I check on the information on pmcc it’s only taking 16amps constant . Shouldn’t it be taking the max 32 out of 32 amp? I don’t have the 22kw optional onboard charger so restricted to the max 11

Porsche Taycan UK charging on 7.2kw rolec FBAA35D2-F6F9-41C9-8640-887146EB8747

simonc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
On 3 phase it will be drawing 16A to get ~11kW (16*3*240) - it will only draw 32A on 3 phase if you are setup for 22kW charging. Single phase is different as 32A will be used to get the ~7.4 kW. The exact amount depends on your local voltage.
Sponsored