First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan and defender
Country flag
Hi all

Thought I’d ask this on the forums I’m struggling to find the answer and my dealer hasn’t been overly helpful!

My new Taycan turbo arrives this weekend so I want to set up the power supply in the garage. I currently have a 50 amp incoming supply which will be good enough to connect the mobile charger connect to, but my question is what sort of socket do I need to put on the wall to connect the charger to?

Is it a dedicated 50 amp three pin plug, commando socket or something else?!
Please help! Photos of what you have done would be good too.

cheers
Sponsored

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
Hi all

Thought I’d ask this on the forums I’m struggling to find the answer and my dealer hasn’t been overly helpful!

My new Taycan turbo arrives this weekend so I want to set up the power supply in the garage. I currently have a 50 amp incoming supply which will be good enough to connect the mobile charger connect to, but my question is what sort of socket do I need to put on the wall to connect the charger to?

Is it a dedicated 50 amp three pin plug, commando socket or something else?!
Please help! Photos of what you have done would be good too.

cheers
Certainly a 32a commando socket will work, not sure if there are other options for you too (but I don’t think so unless you have 3-phase)

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I don't think an electrician will certify your installation if you only have a 50 amp fuse with a single 32 amp load.

That only leaves you with 18 amps. You can easily overload that with a dish washer and oven.

You have to call UK power networks (if you live in Southeast) to upgrade your fuse. Call your provider and ask who is your network operator is if its not UK Power Networks.

Usually fuse upgrades are free. I got three phase power installed. Involved digging up the road and laying new cable, total cost was about £15k.

OP
OP

Exsigs

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan and defender
Country flag
Ah sorry, what I meant to say is that I have a 100amp incoming but a 50amp fuse to the garage on a separate sub main for the car and toys.

also have 5kw of solar pv and a Tesla battery but not sure if thatwill do anything.

I may call SSE and see if they can upgrade me on the incoming tho.

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
Ah sorry, what I meant to say is that I have a 100amp incoming but a 50amp fuse to the garage on a separate sub main for the car and toys.

also have 5kw of solar pv and a Tesla battery but not sure if thatwill do anything.

I may call SSE and see if they can upgrade me on the incoming tho.

It's probably worth taking a look at the Zappi charger - that should integrate with your solar pv.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
There are few to choose from, best have a search online and look at reviews. You will be limited to 7.4kw with a single phase 100amp supply. Nearly all EVSE units come with built in RCBO Type A (two pole) and DC current overload protection but your electrician will confirm. I would put an RCBO Type A in the garage consumer unit along with surge protection. Alternatively you could add surge protection next to the meter and protect everything.
The Best EV Chargers for Solar Panels – Top Charger

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
There are few to choose from, best have a search online and look at reviews. You will be limited to 7.4kw with a single phase 100amp supply. Nearly all EVSE units come with built in RCBO Type A (two pole) and DC current overload protection but your electrician will confirm. I would put an RCBO Type A in the garage consumer unit along with surge protection. Alternatively you could add surge protection next to the meter and protect everything.
The Best EV Chargers for Solar Panels – Top Charger
Original post was 2 years ago when none of us early adopters had much clue about home setups!

How much that has changed since then!

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Original post was 2 years ago when none of us early adopters had much clue about home setups!

How much that has changed since then!
I must pay more attention! lol
Sponsored