UK Insurance - selecting repairer rules?

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
Bored waiting for delivery - hopefully next 1-2 months.... (sorry its long)

Got a decent quote from Sadmiral - but have read that they can play hardball when it comes to choice of repairer. Not sure of they are trustworthy?

The admiral quote is <half of that from my present insurer (Saga) - but they Sage happy for a car to be repaired by a dealer approved repairer with just minor additional paperwork - and I know they can be trusted.

I understand that now, in the UK, all insurers must offer the insured their preferred repairer - but I think there must be a catch? Like you pay the extra between quotes or there is a long winded approval process?

Anyone got any idea what the rule mean in practice? - I found this (cut and paste below for no-fault claim) ....... can't find the same info for an 'at fault' claim......

but there has to be a catch?

Choosing your repairer.........
Remember it is your vehicle and you can choose who repairs it. Many insurers have networks of their ‘’approved’’ repairers, they may try and convince you to have your car repaired where they choose remember this is for their convenience not yours. Don’t be unduly influenced by insurers suggestions of delays and extra costs if you don’t do what they say. You are entitled to consider the benefits of dealing with the repairer of your choice. Remember you are not obliged to have your car repaired at an insurance company nominated repairer.

Don’t be bullied.......
The association of British insurers, The Financial Services Authority and the Office of Fair Trading agree that the choice is yours. There are very few exceptions to this rule.

sounds too good TBT?

Cheers
Sponsored

exav8tor

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 330e
Country flag
Started using Admiral when I got the car in 2020 and like you was a bit dubious about how they would be if I needed to claim but given the significant difference in quotes and the fact that a number on the forum were using them I decided to go with them.

Unfortunately earlier this year I had to make a claim and so found out how they were - what I can say from my experience is that they were good!

They arranged collection, sorted out a courtesy car and gave me a choice of repair shops, both Porsche recommended. I went with the one that my local Porsche dealer uses for repairs and didn’t have any issues.

One tip with them is to give them a call at renewal time, they always give a higher renewal quote and have them been able to decrease it when called.

OP
OP
smoothound

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
Started using Admiral when I got the car in 2020 and like you was a bit dubious about how they would be if I needed to claim but given the significant difference in quotes and the fact that a number on the forum were using them I decided to go with them.

Unfortunately earlier this year I had to make a claim and so found out how they were - what I can say from my experience is that they were good!

They arranged collection, sorted out a courtesy car and gave me a choice of repair shops, both Porsche recommended. I went with the one that my local Porsche dealer uses for repairs and didn’t have any issues.

One tip with them is to give them a call at renewal time, they always give a higher renewal quote and have them been able to decrease it when called.
Thanks Richard - that is very helpful!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The repairer will be approved by both Porsche and Admiral (or any insurer) given the warranty implications if not. Unlikely therefore Admiral will appoint a sub-standard repairer given the foregoing and reputational damage.

OP
OP
smoothound

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
The repairer will be approved by both Porsche and Admiral (or any insurer) given the warranty implications if not. Unlikely therefore Admiral will appoint a sub-standard repairer given the foregoing and reputational damage.
Thanks Adrian

icedup51

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY22 and Abarth 595 Trofero:
Country flag
Bored waiting for delivery - hopefully next 1-2 months.... (sorry its long)

Got a decent quote from Sadmiral - but have read that they can play hardball when it comes to choice of repairer. Not sure of they are trustworthy?

The admiral quote is <half of that from my present insurer (Saga) - but they Sage happy for a car to be repaired by a dealer approved repairer with just minor additional paperwork - and I know they can be trusted.

I understand that now, in the UK, all insurers must offer the insured their preferred repairer - but I think there must be a catch? Like you pay the extra between quotes or there is a long winded approval process?

Anyone got any idea what the rule mean in practice? - I found this (cut and paste below for no-fault claim) ....... can't find the same info for an 'at fault' claim......

but there has to be a catch?

Choosing your repairer.........
Remember it is your vehicle and you can choose who repairs it. Many insurers have networks of their ‘’approved’’ repairers, they may try and convince you to have your car repaired where they choose remember this is for their convenience not yours. Don’t be unduly influenced by insurers suggestions of delays and extra costs if you don’t do what they say. You are entitled to consider the benefits of dealing with the repairer of your choice. Remember you are not obliged to have your car repaired at an insurance company nominated repairer.

Don’t be bullied.......
The association of British insurers, The Financial Services Authority and the Office of Fair Trading agree that the choice is yours. There are very few exceptions to this rule.

sounds too good TBT?

Cheers
I was with Saga for a number of year's but they wouldn't insure me for the Taycan. Had AMG's insured through them but said underwriters wouldn't go over a £100k for a car!!
Insured through Admiral since April but can't comment on accident cover as thankfully have not had cause to use.

Abdul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gentian Blue Taycan 4S...previously Ice Grey RWD
Country flag
As previously mentioned on this forum, make sure you indicate what the 'extras ' are on your car. That depends on who you speak to you. They keep telling us that calls are recorded so I made sure that I repeated back what I understand and asked them to confirm ie. " so if my model of car has had the any extras/options factory fitted, that is covered? " answer was yes.

OP
OP
smoothound

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
As previously mentioned on this forum, make sure you indicate what the 'extras ' are on your car. That depends on who you speak to you. They keep telling us that calls are recorded so I made sure that I repeated back what I understand and asked them to confirm ie. " so if my model of car has had the any extras/options factory fitted, that is covered? " answer was yes.
good advice Abdul - thanks!

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
good advice Abdul - thanks!
Yes it is. I always hear 'modifications' as meaning something you've done after market - eg tweaked the engine or suspension, so never really gone into other detail. Think i'll ask to send them an email with the spec copied on it next time, just in case.

Abdul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes it is. I always hear 'modifications' as meaning something you've done after market - eg tweaked the engine or suspension, so never really gone into other detail. Think i'll ask to send them an email with the spec copied on it next time, just in case.
BigBob...can be very Advisor specific. Some will ask for every item so that they can try and pigeonhole into a category. I gave up with that and asked to speak to another advisor. After that quickly sorted

OPLA1925

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TCT4
Country flag
Admiral have been very good for me (a series of BMWs and Porsches). I rate them - contrary to what I read on here.

Abdul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Admiral have been very good for me (a series of BMWs and Porsches). I rate them - contrary to what I read on here.
I certainly wasn't trying to slag them off, simply ensuring I was covered for what I thought. As others have previously mentioned, can be advisor dependent

Foxy

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS6,992GTS,GolfGTI
Country flag
I’ve finally committed to buying a lightly used 4S and have been hunting quotes today, Esure have come out at £350 which seems very cheap, though others like AVIVA are not far behind. I’m mid 50’s and semi retired with full NCB, clean and have a drive and garage, but it seems very good value. Wife’s Golf R is dearer!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I’ve finally committed to buying a lightly used 4S and have been hunting quotes today, Esure have come out at £350 which seems very cheap, though others like AVIVA are not far behind. I’m mid 50’s and semi retired with full NCB, clean and have a drive and garage, but it seems very good value. Wife’s Golf R is dearer!
Hmm seems too cheap IMHO.

Have you cited all options including the battery - performance or performance plus etc. £550 would be more realistic factoring everything else in?

Perhaps this the premium cost til your.next annual renewal?

Foxy

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS6,992GTS,GolfGTI
Country flag
Hmm seems too cheap IMHO.

Have you cited all options including the battery - performance or performance plus etc. £550 would be more realistic factoring everything else in?

Perhaps this the premium cost til your.next annual renewal?
My assumption is that having entered the registration and purchase price the quote is accurate, but agree it’s cheap, comparatively.
Sponsored