UK - Porsche list of discounted charging networks?

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
Folks - Tried to answer this by searching honestly - but it must have been answered before somewhere....??

Aside from OPCs (and I know OPCs charge per minute too) and Ionity ....... What other en-route public networks (not destination sites) - allow the Porsche discounted electricity rate in the UK? Where can I find the list?

FYI I received my RFID 'discount' card today - Previously, I used OPC (pricey) and Ionity public chargers without any hassle - I paid at the OPC counter and plug and charge worked fine at Ionity (discount applied successfully)....

MFG, Gridserve, BP Pulse and Instavolt also offer decent chargers en-route to my family - would be useful to know of any that allow the discounted rate using a Porsche RFID

Cheers
Sponsored

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Folks - Tried to answer this by searching honestly - but it must have been answered before somewhere....??

Aside from OPCs (and I know OPCs charge per minute too) and Ionity ....... What other en-route public networks (not destination sites) - allow the Porsche discounted electricity rate in the UK? Where can I find the list?

FYI I received my RFID 'discount' card today - Previously, I used OPC (pricey) and Ionity public chargers without any hassle - I paid at the OPC counter and plug and charge worked fine at Ionity (discount applied successfully)....

MFG, Gridserve, BP Pulse and Instavolt also offer decent chargers en-route to my family - would be useful to know of any that allow the discounted rate using a Porsche RFID

Cheers
Likewise, it would be useful to know which networks can be paid for through the My Porsche App or RFID card

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My understanding is that except for Ionity (GBP 0.30/kWh), the Porsche charging service uses a kWh+minutes used flat rate based on charger speed and not network.

When using Shell through Porsche that means that you're paying GBP 0.31/kWh +GBP 0.33/minute vs. GBP 0.85/kWh using their own app or pay as you go.

At least in the London area there are not that many rapid charger networks on the app though except for the above.

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Price wise, Ionity is the only one worth bothering with. The problem is their UK network is tiny!
Pretty much every IONITY station I’ve tried across Europe and UK has charged at 150 kW+ and often above 200 kW, except for the one at Cobham Services which consistently seems incredible slow (max 60 kW) not to mention all chargers being occupied.

darth_maul_80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 , Taycan GTS
Country flag
We can use the Porsche card at shell and bp etc?

I thought it was just the list of Porsche ones in app

Do I need to turn plug n charge on/off and use the rfid card?

I have plug and charge on and when I’ve tried at shell it failed but wasn’t sure if that was the unit or shell app not working

OP
OP
smoothound

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag

I have plug and charge on and when I’ve tried at shell it failed but wasn’t sure if that was the unit or shell app not working
Having plug'n'charge active doesn't seem to stop the card from working - if that helps. I suspect there was another reason for it failing.

In my Taycan - The only chargers to appear on my Porsche charge planner with a <100kw filter are Ionity and OPCs - it steadfastly refuses to acknowledge MFG, Gridserve or Instavolt.

It will find some of the 'off-piste' chargers using nav search by their names - but only as a destination post-code - not as a charger.

cheers

darth_maul_80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 , Taycan GTS
Country flag
Having plug'n'charge active doesn't seem to stop the card from working - if that helps. I suspect there was another reason for it failing.

In my Taycan - The only chargers to appear on my Porsche charge planner with a <100kw filter are Ionity and OPCs - it steadfastly refuses to acknowledge MFG, Gridserve or Instavolt.

It will find some of the 'off-piste' chargers using nav search by their names - but only as a destination post-code - not as a charger.

cheers
Was day from hell when I tried. First I was the 3rd car to arrive in seconds of each other. First Lady charged to 100%, second guy charged for twenty minutes. When it was my turn finally the bloody thing didn’t work. Not via shell app, shell card nada. Spoke to support and tried everything and it just failed. I only needed to charge for two minutes to be able to get home!!! Had to wing it on countryside roads hypermiling it and managed to get home 1% with 1mile range…let’s just say I’m not doing that again!

Following day went to IONITY round the corner and no issues so it wasn’t my car

Porsche Taycan UK - Porsche list of discounted charging networks? C9955751-3250-445B-A8AF-B2C08D78F7B4

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

You can't use at BP and now very limited Shell locations.

Use the charging planner on the app and search for EVSEs - all signed up 3rd parties are listed there but note that not all may accept P&C etc - check the filter settings while searching and in particular charging via app or P&C.

I searched for Fast and came up with Fastned 6/6 Newcastle which then disappeared when I set the filter to P&C.

Poshfpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S ID3
Country flag

cheers
It does seem bizarre that the app/PCM doesn't show all the 350kw chargers on your route. Gridserve have Rugby and now at Reading 12 on each side of the M4 but they're not shown on the map. At Reading it just shows 2 at the OPC and they're both in use currently. No mention of 24 x 350kw 5kms away. Irrespective of whether the Porsche card works there it should show them as an option and allow you to route via them given the paucity of 350kw chargers in the UK. In France the PCM seemed to show all the options along a route that ABRP had told me about from various companies.

If you were just relying on the PCM in the UK you could have an unnecessarily stressful trip at the moment. It would be nice to know you could just get in the car and it would have the best route with optimised charging, not contractually agreed options. Does anyone know if this is due to change?

OP
OP
smoothound

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
its not just the 350Kw - it omits a fair few non-porsche or non-ionity that are 100kW or above - given that on a couple of occasions I got only 80-90Kw from supposed 350s (gridserve and Ionity). 80-90Kw from a 120kw unit would prolly smell the same to me.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
When did these units come on line?

Suspect a further map update may be needed.

What happens if you search in NAV for EVSEs and use the filter >= 50kW rather than rely on the map itself?

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
In London at least can get the following with PCS:
- Allego 22 kW AC @ 31p kWh + 3p / min
- ESB 50 kW DC @ 31p kWh + 22p / min
- Shell 175 kW DC @ 31p kWh + 33p / min
- Fastned 300 kW DC @ 31p kWh + 33p / min

Even with time based charged on PCS it’s still beating Elli on their £12.99 Drive Highway sub for up to 5 or 6 fast DC based chargers per month.

Last edited:

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Outside of the included freebie PCS the only other discounted charging scheme I would consider is Elli.

Ironically where an Elli sub. starts to make more sense against PCS is on Porsche’s own 350 kW units where Elli cost is currently 43p / KWh but without the 44p / minute charge on PCS.
Sponsored

Last edited: