UK - problems with Ionity?

Bobby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I did a day trip "up North" from the South East yesterday to see my mother. I had two very different experiences with Ionity.

1) Fabulous

I charged at the Ionity at Darwin/Blackburn services (M65). It was my first time using the Porsche connect card (which gives the 50% discount). Great experience and I went from 20% to 90% in about 40 mins - very happy.

2) Worrying

On the return journey, I stopped at Ionity Beaconsfield. Here, as widely reported, there are only two out of fours chargers working. Anyway both were available and on free vend. So I started charging (didn't have to use the Porsche Connect card). However at 50% it stopped and the charger display said - "problem with connecting to car, please restart. I did what it said and then it told me charger was out of service. So I moved the the next charger (which was still available) and charged to 93%. Then it stopped again but since 93% was more than sufficient I thought I would continue my journey. However, the cable would not disconnect from my charging port. It was now 11pm and I started to worry as I didnt really want to leave the car there overnight. Anyway, after 20 mins, thankfully it made a clicking sound and disconnected.

Any tips or similar experiences you would like to share please?
Sponsored

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I did a day trip "up North" from the South East yesterday to see my mother. I had two very different experiences with Ionity.

1) Fabulous

I charged at the Ionity at Darwin/Blackburn services (M65). It was my first time using the Porsche connect card (which gives the 50% discount). Great experience and I went from 20% to 90% in about 40 mins - very happy.

2) Worrying

On the return journey, I stopped at Ionity Beaconsfield. Here, as widely reported, there are only two out of fours chargers working. Anyway both were available and on free vend. So I started charging (didn't have to use the Porsche Connect card). However at 50% it stopped and the charger display said - "problem with connecting to car, please restart. I did what it said and then it told me charger was out of service. So I moved the the next charger (which was still available) and charged to 93%. Then it stopped again but since 93% was more than sufficient I thought I would continue my journey. However, the cable would not disconnect from my charging port. It was now 11pm and I started to worry as I didnt really want to leave the car there overnight. Anyway, after 20 mins, thankfully it made a clicking sound and disconnected.

I've had the cable won't disconnect problem before with Ionity. Eventually got it to disconnect by locking and unlocking on the key FOB a few times. I think that if you are sitting in the car while it charges, the car will automatically lock, but even if you then open the door of the car to exit to remove the charge cable, the charge point can still think that it is locked so you have to physically unlock with the FOB. That may or may not be your problem - I know some in the US have had more serious issues with EA over there which has required EA to instigate a remote reboot.

GlasgowTaycanCT

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S ordered, LR Discovery, i8, Macan
Country flag
I've had the cable won't disconnect problem before with Ionity. Eventually got it to disconnect by locking and unlocking on the key FOB a few times. I think that if you are sitting in the car while it charges, the car will automatically lock, but even if you then open the door of the car to exit to remove the charge cable, the charge point can still think that it is locked so you have to physically unlock with the FOB. That may or may not be your problem - I know some in the US have had more serious issues with EA over there which has required EA to instigate a remote reboot.
So if it happens, it should be a case of locking and unlocking the car a few times?

ccooke01

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S and ID.4
Country flag

1) Fabulous

2) Worrying

Hi Bobby,

Out of interest did you use any other chargers on the M40 or M6 on your journey "up North" ?

I am located in the North West and travel down to London a few times a year, the Beaconsfield location in on the limit in terms of range hence my question.

OP
OP

Bobby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Thank you. Makes sense as I did sit in the car during charging.

OP
OP

Bobby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Hi Bobby,

Out of interest did you use any other chargers on the M40 or M6 on your journey "up North" ?

I am located in the North West and travel down to London a few times a year, the Beaconsfield location in on the limit in terms of range hence my question.
Good question. I did a quick top up each way charge at Instavolt Banbury. This was about 1 mile off M40 Jn11. Very good - 125kwH charger at 35p per kwH. Simple to use - just tap your credit card. Did a 20 minute charge on the way up and a 10 minute charge on the way back.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Good question. I did a quick top up each way charge at Instavolt Banbury. This was about 1 mile off M40 Jn11. Very good - 125kwH charger at 35p per kwH. Simple to use - just tap your credit card. Did a 20 minute charge on the way up and a 10 minute charge on the way back.
Do you have the optional 150kW on board charger to get the 125kW or is it natively compatible with the Taycan’s 800V system?

OP
OP

Bobby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Do you have the optional 150kW on board charger to get the 125kW or is it natively compatible with the Taycan’s 800V system?
I do have the 150kwH charger - but do not know if this is why I can use the 125kwH charger. Sorry
Sponsored