smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
Sorry, I suspect this has been answered elsewhere, but I can't find a clear answer.. Seems to be conflicting info on the wider web too.... for Taycan in the UK...

• Are all Tesla destination chargers the same? (not superchargers)
  • What will I need (cable? adapter? both? neither?) to use any Tesla destination charger?
  • Would I need a Tesla account or card of some sort?

Many thanks
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
  • Are all Tesla destination chargers the same? (not superchargers)
No, some are set for all EV's (including Taycan), some are set for Tesla only vehicles. This setting is made by way of a DIP switch inside the unit. Most Tesla destination installations (like at hotels) are usually installed with three chargers – 2 set to Tesla only and 1 set to all EV's. Often – over time (years), the Tesla only chargers get changed to support any EV. Properties, themselves generally don't care but lack knowledge.

• What will I need (cable? adapter? both? neither?) to use any Tesla destination charger?
No, they are all tethered with suitable Type 2 cables.

• Would I need a Tesla account or card of some sort?
No, there is no billing aspect to Tesla destination chargers, unless a property themselves will look for some sort of payment directly. The units themselves are dumb.

OP
OP
smoothound

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
No, some are set for all EV's (including Taycan), some are set for Tesla only vehicles. This setting is made by way of a DIP switch inside the unit. Most Tesla destination installations (like at hotels) are usually installed with three chargers – 2 set to Tesla only and 1 set to all EV's. Often – over time (years), the Tesla only chargers get changed to support any EV. Properties, themselves generally don't care but lack knowledge.

No, they are all tethered with suitable Type 2 cables.

No, there is no billing aspect to Tesla destination chargers, unless a property themselves will look for some sort of payment directly. The units themselves are dumb.
Thanks Mr T for a very clear and comprehensive reply - much appreciated.
Sponsored