SCSEV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Taycan 4S, Audi e-tron, Chrysler Town&Country
Country flag
We have been trying to figure out a EV for my wife. We’ve driven just about every one in the segment (Etron, Mache, Ipace, Model Y and 3). We went yesterday to test drive an Audi E Tron. The dealership just happened to have a Porsche dealer in the same footprint.

My original plan was to get my wife a small EV crossover/sedan this year, and most likely get the Taycan for myself next year at this time when my lease runs out. I was planning on waiting to test drive the Taycan later in the year and then compare it to the Tesla Model S plaid or plaid + version and the Audi GT RS. Also have a deposit on the Rivian R1S. I have test driven 911s in the past, but have never owned a Porsche, but have owned numerous BMW M cars and a Viper ACR.

I was not planning on test drive the Taycan now, just because I had a feeling I would fall in love with it. I really would like to stick to my original plan with getting one after my current lease is up. My wife saw my face when I saw the Taycan sitting in the showroom. Between her and salesman (haha, surprisingly) they talked me into driving it...........

Well, last night I canceled my Rivian order and the salesman is seeing about a dealer buyout of my lease. I may still wait till next year, but I am pretty confident my next car will be the Taycan 4S, or maybe the Turbo. I have been seduced by the Porsche driving dynamics and the quality.
Sponsored

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I had something similar. I went to testdrive a Model S P100D. I drove it and thought "ok this is it I'm going electric". I parked it at the dealer. It was late evening in winter, so pitch black outside. The salesman comes around in a Taycan 4S and parks it right next to the Model S. Up until that moment I thought the Model S was a nice looking car. With the Taycan, especially at night, it felt like I parked an old Peugeot next to an Aston Martin... Fast forward here I am picking up my 4S on friday.

Edax Rerum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
We have been trying to figure out a EV for my wife. We’ve driven just about every one in the segment (Etron, Mache, Ipace, Model Y and 3). We went yesterday to test drive an Audi E Tron. The dealership just happened to have a Porsche dealer in the same footprint.

My original plan was to get my wife a small EV crossover/sedan this year, and most likely get the Taycan for myself next year at this time when my lease runs out. I was planning on waiting to test drive the Taycan later in the year and then compare it to the Tesla Model S plaid or plaid + version and the Audi GT RS. Also have a deposit on the Rivian R1S. I have test driven 911s in the past, but have never owned a Porsche, but have owned numerous BMW M cars and a Viper ACR.

I was not planning on test drive the Taycan now, just because I had a feeling I would fall in love with it. I really would like to stick to my original plan with getting one after my current lease is up. My wife saw my face when I saw the Taycan sitting in the showroom. Between her and salesman (haha, surprisingly) they talked me into driving it...........

Well, last night I canceled my Rivian order and the salesman is seeing about a dealer buyout of my lease. I may still wait till next year, but I am pretty confident my next car will be the Taycan 4S, or maybe the Turbo. I have been seduced by the Porsche driving dynamics and the quality.
I also had a deposit on an R1S, and the Taycan was also a bit spur of the moment for me (initially, but I was able to spec exactly what I wanted...and wait months). It's a fantastic car. You won't regret buying it.

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
Last October I took my 2008 911 in for the annual snow tire install and oil change. My Porsche rep saw me looking at the Taycan 4S on the floor and asked if I wanted to drive it.
Drove and purchased within two weeks. I did not need another car. It has been awesome.
Love the Taycan.
P.S.
Still kept the 911 luckily. My wife is so cool and supportive.
We have been talking for years about purchasing an EV. What a great way to begin. Now looking for one to get my wife. Maybe the Macan when it comes out.

Last edited:

OP
OP
SCSEV

SCSEV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had something similar. I went to testdrive a Model S P100D. I drove it and thought "ok this is it I'm going electric". I parked it at the dealer. It was late evening in winter, so pitch black outside. The salesman comes around in a Taycan 4S and parks it right next to the Model S. Up until that moment I thought the Model S was a nice looking car. With the Taycan, especially at night, it felt like I parked an old Peugeot next to an Aston Martin... Fast forward here I am picking up my 4S on friday.
The Taycan is infinitely better looking than the Model S, inside and out.

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Seduced. I drove every EV available in the US before I purchased a Taycan 4S. I took 4 Taycan test drives over 4 months (Turbo S, Turbo, and 4S) before deciding the 4S had the identical driving dynamics as the others and is still too fast for "normal" driving. No reason for me to spend $10s of thousands more for a Turbo S or Turbo. Specified a custom order and waited 4 months for a 2021.

The car is just amazing. Like having an F15 fighter jet as to responsiveness and acceleration.

Sounds like you will be seduced as well.

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
I got my testdrive on a whim and what a whim that was. I also have to blame my friend who said the car "doesn't cost more than a family SUV" (more precisely a Volvo XC90). That guy did more to sell the car than the salesman did.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
yeah - driving an EV is dangerous thing to do if you have no self control - personally I'm lacking soooo much self control that I'm going to go bankrupt driving cars - but I'll have a smile all the way there...

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Opposite experience -- I ordered the Taycan sight unseen and never having driven a Porsche or EV. (BTW, after 11 months of waiting, my friends were the first to drive my Taycan on delivery day.) The detailed press reports, particularly by Jalopnik, along with Porsche's reputation, gave me confidence to place the order. I've driven 3,000 miles in six months with no regrets or significant issues.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
Ha I am in a similar spot. Have 18 months left on my current lease but have been itching to test drive a taycan. But I know I’ll fall in love it I do. Interestingly I test drove a model 3 and S about a year ago. Was a bit underwhelmed overall mostly due to lack of features and build quality. I could tell the salesperson was surprised by how underwhelmed I was given that most people most likely fall in love with instant acceleration. That’s a nice party trick but not enough in an 80k car. But with the taycan I know it will be different.

OP
OP
SCSEV

SCSEV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ha I am in a similar spot. Have 18 months left on my current lease but have been itching to test drive a taycan. But I know I’ll fall in love it I do. Interestingly I test drove a model 3 and S about a year ago. Was a bit underwhelmed overall mostly due to lack of features and build quality. I could tell the salesperson was surprised by how underwhelmed I was given that most people most likely fall in love with instant acceleration. That’s a nice party trick but not enough in an 80k car. But with the taycan I know it will be different.
As others have already stated, unless you are prepared to buy, be careful test driving one. You will be hooked.

OP
OP
SCSEV

SCSEV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yep, I’m hooked. When we go to pick up the e-tron for my wife later this week, I am going to find my car or order one. And so it begins......