Update 3: Porsche jabbing brakes and stopping [Driver Control required!] while not in Innodrive/ACC/ALK

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
I took a long roadtrip from SF to LA to finally declare my Taycan safe for my family if there were no more motor control issues. I also had made a promise to my brother we'd have a drink at Hotel Bel Air after it opened. So I went down Friday day, had that drink, and drove back Saturday morning. All in all pretty fun but...

... I got new issues. The car without ACC or Innodrive or ALK on, in fact entirely disabled, will randomly jab the breaks and demand I place my hands on the wheel while they are already there. I got this between 7 and 10 times on my round trip.

Anyone else getting this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
How close to the car in front when this happened? Could it be collision avoidance related?

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I took a long roadtrip from SF to LA to finally declare my Taycan safe for my family if there were no more motor control issues.

Instead I got new issues. The car without ACC or Innodrive or ALK on, in fact entirely disabled, will randomly jab the breaks and demand I place my hands on the wheel while they are already there. I got this between 7 and 10 times on my round trip.

Anyone else getting this?
Sorry to be off topic, but how was your EA experience? Did you go I-5? I'll be doing the same trip in late July to do my Taycan experience at the Porsche Center in Carson.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
How was your EA experience? Did you go I-5? I'll be doing the same trip in late July to do my Taycan experience at the Porsche Center in Carson.
haha I hate to piggy back on this and derail the OP, but as someone who regularly made this trip in my Tesla (but yet to do so in my Taycan), I'm super curious about this as well.

FWIW even though it takes longer, I might consider taking the 101 instead for the views/more curves. In the Tesla I prioritized getting there ASAP instead. It will come down to the EA charging situation though.

OP
OP
Chris8536

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry to be off topic, but how was your EA experience? Did you go I-5? I'll be doing the same trip in late July to do my Taycan experience at the Porsche Center in Carson.
Earlier it was rough but there are now 6! new stations on I-5 and its pretty much no issue. Even if you have a problem now at one station you can just go on to the next one as they are close enough. Only major recommendation is avoid Harris ranch, slow and overcrowded charging.

SF to LA -- Panoche Shell and Countryside market if you want to be conservative

LA to SF -- Raju Market and walmart in Patterson.

These are decent stops anyways to walk around and get a bite/use the bathroom. And both times I was barely able to use the bathroom and grab to-go food before the charge was done. 5-7 min each stop.

Previous trips I've tried are Harris Ranch to 90% as the only charge. I do not recommend that. The planner is right about two small stops for a variety of reasons but maybe that's tuned to me

I average 85-90MPH the entire way in normal mode with no special driving. If you are conservative (70-75 in range mode) SF to LA you could probably make it to Raju market and do a massive one charge then onto LA. I wanted to try that, but I got way too impatient.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Chris8536

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How close to the car in front when this happened? Could it be collision avoidance related?
Negative, this was not crash avoidance. This was the error that comes on during self-driving when your hands are off the wheel for too long.

My only other idea is that there is an attention management system that is using the same error message if it thinks im not paying attention?

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Maybe you have a superhuman ability to stay in such perfect harmony with the steering wheel that you become invisible to the steering wheel resistance sensors. :CWL: Seriously, I hope that you are able to reproduce this so that they can fix it.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
I have had this issue a couple of times. Pretty jarring when it occurs - better than the losing power issue though. I would say it has happened 3 or 4 times in the 2.5 months I have had the car.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Probably not related, but did you have Auto Recuperation on? I think it sometimes break the car out of nowhere.

It sounds like the sensor for hands-on-the-steering-wheel has a problem in your car.

OP
OP
Chris8536

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Probably not related, but did you have Auto Recuperation on? I think it sometimes break the car out of nowhere.

It sounds like the sensor for hands-on-the-steering-wheel has a problem in your car.
Yea I noticed my sensor for my hands required a TON more feedback compared to my X7 where I just have to rest my hands. I basically have to jiggle it to get it to react when I have Innodrive on. Are others able to just use it with a light touch? Or do you have to constantly be giving it feedback?

My theory from that could be that the Taycan has attention alerts even when ACC/Innnodrive is off that are based on the steering wheel, but a poor sensor would trigger it constantly.

OP
OP
Chris8536

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Definitely not auto-regen as it throws a warning.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
My theory from that could be that the Taycan has attention alerts even when ACC/Innnodrive is off that are based on the steering wheel, but a poor sensor would trigger it constantly.
I don't have innodrive, but this sounds like a reason for a PC visit to have them read the logs and find out what is wrong.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don't have innodrive, but this sounds like a reason for a PC visit to have them read the logs and find out what is wrong.
I think his car has been at PC for days if not weeks without a resolution. Also these types of bugs with yellow or white warning messages do not leave error codes. I also have issues like "ParkAssist Unavailable - Service Required" and the PC cannot find any logs or error codes. As a result the dealer will not be able to diagnose or fix anything. If you are lucky the issue might happen when they drive the car, and then they might open a ticket to Porsche..

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I think his car has been at PC for days if not weeks without a resolution. Also these types of bugs do not leave logs. I also have several issue like "ParkAssist Unavailable - Service Required" and the PC cannot find any logs or error codes. The error logging is not up to the task sometimes. The dealer will not be able to diagnose or fix anything. If you are lucky the issue might happen when they drive the car, and if then they might open a ticket to Porsche and then there might be an answer..
I don't have any problem with my car, but realistically, what is the best option? Sell it and buy a new one?

OP
OP
Chris8536

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think his car has been at PC for days if not weeks without a resolution. Also these types of bugs do not leave logs. I also have several issue like "ParkAssist Unavailable - Service Required" and the PC cannot find any logs or error codes. The error logging is not up to the task sometimes. The dealer will not be able to diagnose or fix anything. If you are lucky the issue might happen when they drive the car, and if then they might open a ticket to Porsche and then there might be an answer..
Pretty much this. It won’t log and I’m tired of taking this to the dealership every two weeks for the latest errors.
im at a loss and doing interviews with the NHTSA to see what comes of the investigation
Sponsored

Last edited: