realsmartz

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
UPDATE 7/16: Throwing out an update, as this should be a helpful case study for anyone thinking of purchasing a Taycan. It’s been 15 days since my Taycan was towed away. Porsche “customer service” is a black hole. No one has any authority to make any decisions and follow up is basically a game of kick-the-can. I am no closer to a resolution or ETA on getting back a car for which I paid six figures. I had to fight to even get them to pay for a rental (finally agreed to up to $75 a day reimbursement). The dealer in Chicago was responsive and helpful at first, but they seemed to have moved on. I email Porsche customer care every few days to get an update and all they can say is that they have reached out to their contacts in the parts department, but don’t have an answer...still 15 days later. Buyers beware. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn’t have gone with Porsche. This forum has highlighted a number of issues, so I had an idea of what I may be getting into, but this is far worse than the worst-case scenario I had imagined. The excitement and thrill of getting in that car (if/when I do get it back) is absolutely killed by this experience. Porsche is terrible. Don’t do it.

UPDATE 7/6: It is a transmission issue. Dealer in Chicago is waiting on the mothership to get the part approved and sent. Said it would be an easy fix. Initial estimate is 7 to 10 days, but we will see about that. The part will have to be shipped and make it through customs, which isn’t going to be quick. Still trying to get service records from Philly dealer and Chicago dealer is having his tech pull all the data they can. Still shocked the Philly dealer didn’t notice any issues or get any alerts in the 50+ miles they put on it. Also shocked that we were told to just keep driving and take it to a dealer when we got to Chicago. I had three teenagers in the car with me for goodness sake - what if something would have happened? Thankful it didn’t and that all the issues were mostly at slow speeds. I knew it felt like a transmission issue, but didn’t think the car had one.

Original post: Live in Chicago, bought a Taycan RWD in Philly. Flew in and picked it up Wednesday morning. Beautiful car. 45 minutes into the trip on I-76 in stop-and-go-traffic it stops accelerating and I get an engine control failure alert. Thanks to this thread, I tried the key cycle and it cleared the error. Pulled over and called the dealer, who ultimately said it was may be a fluke from the update and keep trucking. The car at that point seemed “jerky” when braking. Told by the tech to set the brakes and maybe they were just breaking in. My response was that it had a feel similar to an ICE transmission failure - jerky and knocking - but only when braking. Continued on to the highway because I didn’t want to part with my new toy. No issues accelerating or braking at high speeds, but definitely issues braking at low speeds when making charging stops at stop signs/traffic lights. Made it to Youngstown, OH with only one other engine control failure alert. Key cycle cleared it, but car was driving like shit in traffic. Wake up the next day with same issues, but powered through it with four engine control alerts that cleared with key cycle every time - always at slow speeds when braking. Car still was braking very “jerky”. Make it to our summer house in Northwest Indiana with an appointment to get it to the dealer Wednesday. Charge it up at the house overnight. Wake up today and take it for a spin because for some reason I thought a good night’s rest would clear the error. Still in denial phase. Make it 1/2 mile down the road and get the error, but this time is says it’s still driveable. Lol. However, it is making an insane grinding noise, the alert didn’t clear with a key cycle and it won’t go into park. It’s currently sitting in my driveway waiting for a tow truck tomorrow morning to visit the dealer.

Overall: I’m super pissed. Porsche should be ashamed. I’m a little bit ticked at the dealer who sold it to me, as they put 50 miles on it before I picked it up and I’m shocked they didn’t notice any issues. Also, no loaners at my dealer in Chicago, so I guess I will just pay for nothing. I spent some of the ride home googling lemon laws and dreaming of a class action. HOWEVER, it is an awesome car when it works. I’ve never owned a Porsche (been in the Lexus/Toyota family for some time). It’s a beautiful car that caught a lot of attention from onlookers. RWD model is good enough for me. Navigation/connect app is mediocre at best. It’s super conservative and slow. I used Googlemaps to the charging stations I found via Connect. Charging was a breeze on the route, except our stop in Youngstown, which took a ridiculous amount of time...but I will say someone had hacked into the station next to ours and it was playing the Wii theme song. Charging from 20% to 85% took around 20-25 minutes. Lots of quirks with the media and display tech, but it may just take some getting used to. We will see how long it takes to get it back from the dealer.
Sponsored

Last edited:

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
Sell it! Dealers are getting $10-15K over MSRP for cars going back at far as 2017. Heck even the Cayenne and Panamera has appreciated.

If the car is causing so much personal trauma, cut bait and move on. You should have no problem getting your six figures back.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Sell it! Dealers are getting $10-15K over MSRP for cars going back at far as 2017. Heck even the Cayenne and Panamera has appreciated.

If the car is causing so much personal trauma, cut bait and move on. You should have no problem getting your six figures back.
have you ever sold a car that is inoperable? why would someone pay up for a car that is easily available like the taycan is?
the advice is poor and is of little help to the person having the problem.

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
Actually it is not bad advice.

Your response to me is poor and of little help as it offers no potential solution.

How about you take a walk down memory lane and read you own post history and read how poor and little help you are to this community?

It will not take too much effort to ask the dealer if they want to buy the car back. Dealers do not want to lemon a car and since the inventory is so tight right now and the market is so hot, they may just offer back MSRP.

Or, the OP can wait out the repair and enjoy the car.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
broken cars are nearly worthless on the market - any progress relies on the vehicle being rehabilitated - and that seems to be the core issue - Porsche and their representatives seem unable to provide reasonable high quality service progress

we all know this will be fixed eventually - but in the mean time it’s not great experience and it really sucks.

good luck - keep pushing - the car will be fixed eventually and then you’ll have options - another visit to the dealership with closure on your mind might encourage them to either buy the car back or push to get it fixed so you can sell it back.

Last edited:

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
If I was you, I would actually stop pushing and let them take their time. You probably want them to not fix it within 30 business days (Illinois lemon law) and then you should use the law to lemon the car and get either your money back or a replacement.
You can consult with a lemon lawyer.

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Actually it is not bad advice.

Your response to me is poor and of little help as it offers no potential solution.

How about you take a walk down memory lane and read you own post history and read how poor and little help you are to this community?

It will not take too much effort to ask the dealer if they want to buy the car back. Dealers do not want to lemon a car and since the inventory is so tight right now and the market is so hot, they may just offer back MSRP.

Or, the OP can wait out the repair and enjoy the car.
typical, University of spoiled children grad

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
I grew up in Chicago and went to school there. I believe lawyers are available to assist you, if needs be. You don't want to miss an important legal deadline for invoking your rights under Illinois law while awaiting a fix. This is information you need to know. With luck, there will be no need to engage services beyond some basic legal info. Fingers crossed.

ordel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
OP: because you bought your car in PA, not IL, IL lemon laws may not apply. States have different rules in this regard. And you often have to go through an informal process anyway with the manufacturer, which normally results in a settlement prior to a formal lemon law claim.

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
Your response could not be any farther from reality, but I would have not expected anything less from you.

It would have been wonderful if I was a spoiled child, however I was fortunate enough to attend under vocational rehabilitation with the Department of Veterans Affairs and United States Army after being wounded in combat.
Sponsored