UPDATE4: NHTSA Investigation interview -- WMA5 update removed Innodrive on 2020 4S. Later, engine dies on way to getting it fixed.

SeanY

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordering 2021 Taycan RWD
Country flag
There are some experienced software engineers on this forum, it seems. My question: if this very dangerous problem is, in fact, software related, why aren’t we seeing a much more widespread appearance of the problem? There are 6,500 Taycans in the US according to news reports. So why aren’t we seeing, say, 650 reports, or 100 or 50? At present, just 0.15% of cars are reporting the issue. Is a more likely cause a mismatch of physical tolerances somewhere or a quality control problem on particular components? I'm not for a moment minimizing the danger to those affected. Instead, am asking about likely causes. I’m about to take delivery on a 4S, so you have my interest.
As of today, the NHTSA complaint number is 32, and almost all of them came in the last month or so. Even if it's for all 6500, the percentage is about 0.5%, and if it's for newer models only, then the percentage might be crazy. That's why I cancelled mine. The chance for the new 2021s is really high IMO.
Sponsored

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
As of today, the NHTSA complaint number is 32, and almost all of them came in the last month or so. Even if it's for all 6500, the percentage is about 0.5%, and if it's for newer models only, then the percentage might be crazy. That's why I cancelled mine. The chance for the new 2021s is really high IMO.
It is actually 34 (25 for 2020 + 9 for 2021, and 1 more not related to power loss). Their site has a caching bug and it shows the previous day's number on the top card but if you scroll down you see the correct number.

Last edited:

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Are they all 4S or Turbos? Has anyone reported it on a RWD base yet?

I'm approaching 1000 (s)miles with no sign of the defect yet, knock on wood.

SeanY

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordering 2021 Taycan RWD
Country flag

no nhtsa complaint for RWD, but I saw a couple of posts about the same error on RWD in this forum site. RWD came to US very recently, so it may take some time to see if it's immune, which I highly doubt.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

I have seen reports in this forum for all models including 4S, Turbo, Turbo S and recently one RWD

PTEastBay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD (June), X7, E-class Wagon
Country flag

nothing listed on the NHTSA site for RWD yet and have not seen any reports of it here. Less of them out in the wild so far I think, though

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
It is actually 34 (25 for 2020 + 9 for 2021, and 1 more not related to power loss). Their site has a caching bug and it shows the previous day's number on the top card but if you scroll down you see the correct number.
I agree with commenters who see a higher number of complaints, clustered recently. I was only looking at MY2021 (9 complaints). I haven’t looked at every complaint listed, but a given complaint dealing with the power issue is repeatedly listed for all models. You can tell the complaint is the same by looking at the complaint number at the top of each complaint. So the 34 number - and recent - is on target. Does this surge of complaints in the last month or so suggest that the problem is software related, assuming different mileage and usage scenarios? If so, then why isn’t *every* car that received the software fix suffering the same problem? Perhaps a *two* factor event? Porsche needs to tell us what they are findng and doing about it. Does the computer on the car not create a *log* when the computer crashes that would aid in running down the problem? To fnd this stuff: www.nhtsa.gov -> Recalls -> models
Sponsored