UPDATE4: NHTSA Investigation interview -- WMA5 update removed Innodrive on 2020 4S. Later, engine dies on way to getting it fixed.

illini_sf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Today the Porsche dealer acknowledge the issue after an escalation.

So after the call I was driving home with my family and the engine dies and I have to wrestle it to the side of the road coasting on a dangerous curving stretch of highway 1.
Jesus. F*^&%ing. Christ.

This car is a death trap.
Which Bay Area dealer are you going to?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Chris8536

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
Sounds the same as reported by at least 4 members in other threads. Probably a newly introduced bug in WMA5 update.
Did turning it off/on resolve the issue (until it happens again)?

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...er-in-the-outside-lane.2950/page-5#post-67510

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/losing-power-issue.4889/
yes and I was reading it today thinking, wow this might happen to me. Then it did literally hours later.

after these updates, confusion and a product getting worse and more dangerous every time Porsche’s software engineers try to fix it — I have no confidence that this team knows what they are doing. They are demonstrating amateur level understanding of controls theory, system health, regression testing, and continuous delivery.

I don’t want to put my life in the hands of unprofessional people like this.

Last edited:

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am curious what they plan to do for your car given the two serious issues after the update.

TaycanAZ

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster, Panamera, 911 C2S
Country flag
I am curious what they plan to do for your car given the two serious issues after the update.
yes and I was reading it today thinking, wow this might happen to me. Then it did literally hours later.

after these updates, confusion and a product getting worse and more dangerous every time Porsche’s software engineers try to fix it — I have no confidence that this team knows what they are doing. They are demonstrating amateur level understanding of controls theory, system health, regression testing, and continuous delivery.

I don’t want to put my life in the hands of unprofessional people like this.
This is no longer just quirky PCM issues - this software is rendering the car unreliable and dangerous.
I have similar issues and am not confident in the car amy longer.

I think we will see a widespread recall in the future.

So frustrating given the costs.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

So after the call I was driving home with my family and the engine dies and I have to wrestle it to the side of the road coasting on a dangerous curving stretch of highway 1.
Jesus. F*^&%ing. Christ.

Which dealer Is servicing your Taycan, Chris?

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag

Jesus. F*^&%ing. Christ.

This is not good, sorry to hear. Why not make them take it in now, give you a loaner while its sorted out. I would consider that car “not drivable” as if the engine had broken down myself.

OP
OP
Chris8536

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is not good, sorry to hear. Why not make them take it in now, give you a loaner while its sorted out. I would consider that car “not drivable” as if the engine had broken down myself.
it’s getting flat bedded in and they can deal with it. I’m not going to accept it until they can prove to me they have fixed it.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
it’s getting flat bedded in and they can deal with it. I’m not going to accept it until they can prove to me they have fixed it.
And frankly, either the dealer or Porsche NA should make some monetary remuneration for the duration that the car is out of your possession. They should make your car payments or if you paid cash, pay a daily stipend for the down time.

Reactions: B61
OP
OP
Chris8536

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And frankly, either the dealer or Porsche NA should make some monetary remuneration for the duration that the car is out of your possession. They should make your car payments or if you paid cash, pay a daily stipend for the down time.
found out my fellow engineer bought a Taycan as well. We got to chatting and he said it’s in the shop for dying on the highway as he was heading home.

what a coincidence.

he’s European and connected with some of the guys in the software part of the taycan. Evidently it’s not going well over there. Specifically Porsche just isn’t understanding the importance of investing and transforming their culture to build software dependably.

the one other guy I’ve met in the real world with a taycan also has the same issue. Not confidence inspiring

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: B61

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Nevertheless, I do have confidence that Porsche will ultimately rise to the occasion. There's too much reputational status at stake. Porsche is synonymous with quality autos and these issues will either haunt Porsche or exemplify Porsche’s drive for excellence. I'm optimistic that it will be the former rather than the latter.

Last edited:

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is not surprising at all and I personally have very little confidence given what I have seen so far both in terms of software technology and also existing customer care/service.
If you look at Ford it took them just one month to discover, fix and deploy a software fix for their Mach-e 12v battery drain while charging bug. Sounds familiar? Compare that to Porsche taking almost a year and then the update progress resulted in so many fried modules and possibly new bugs.
I used Ford as an example instead of Tesla because Ford is also new in the EV game but it seems they either take customer care more seriously or their software eng team is better.

Porsche never made the 12v issue public and they never notified the owners about it. I personally did not even received the notification to take my car for the WMA5 update. I just found about it here. I also doubt they will notify us at if they ever fix the car stalling issue.

Last edited:

artdept

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
t -model 3, Dodge Coin Style Model Y, white taycan
Country flag
Well the Porsche dealer took the car in and had a look at the issue -- I should have noticed something was wrong when they didn't to give me any paperwork or acknowledge looking at it on record.

the WMA5/7 update borked Innodrive and they said Porsche NA knows. However they may send out a patch someday (no promises). I said hey you've removed almost $5k worth of features on my vehicle. He shrugged and said 'you'll have to deal with it. Its still safe to drive.'

This is an interesting situation because on one hand what is the dealer supposed to do, they can't write software there. On the other hand Porsche NA is doing a terrible job of communicating what's going on here. And on the third, most important hand, they've removed a $5k worth of features! What would you do if Full Leather or Sport Chrono was gone when you got it back from the dealer.

Anyone else have any thoughts? Im willing to be patient for a little bit as software is hard, but at the same time I'm not confident Porsche GmB can deal with this.
Your dealer sounds like a Richard.

OP
OP
Chris8536

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Update 3:

Well I got the car back after about a week and a half with the patch installed to solve the motor control error and a bunch of reset work to get Innodrive and ACC/LK features back.

I drove it for about 100 miles, and so did the dealer and so far no issues. The dealer seemed to have done their best to solve everything, but they are 100% reliant on Porsche Germany and what software they are sent. And because of that there is really no way for someone outside the development stream to actually verify the fix. You just hope that the team that failed at the regression testing and control testing didn't fail this time.

"I fixed it" what did you do? "Applied the patch" What did that do? "..."

So I'm left to test the car with my life. My wife won't get in it. And I've got a 4700lb paperweight in my garage.

Porsche is in over its head. At this point I wish I could just give the car back. The other option I guess is I'll give it about 1000 solo miles of testing and then risk that its safe enough for the family. The final option is to put it in storage and just never ever do business with Porsche again.
Sponsored

Last edited: