Upgraded from 2020 Taycan 4S to 2022 Taycan 4S

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
In regards my input on closing the rear hatch in #7 above - just to emphasize how easy it is to use the foot swing to open/close the rear hatch - do wonder if there is just user error here vs a perceived problem!

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
As requested my observed differences between the two cars. I don’t have the 2020 anymore, so these are “by memory”. List is not in any particular order. My wife likely would not notice a single thing in my list ?
  • This car is quieter, I assume the upgraded sound insolated glass helps this. Probably the steel roof helps as well. During a very hard rain I could barely hear the wipers and even the rain hitting the windshield at high speed was very muted. Haven’t had a good hot sunny day to test UV heating. The metal roof will also certainly help that! At this poing most of the noise in the cabin is through the body/suspension, still the quietest and smoothest car I have ever been in.
  • Plug and charge worked once, second time I tried it at EA it didn’t work. Called EA, they were unable to debug the problem. I suspect the problem was on their end.
  • I Love the shorter turning radius of the rear axle steering, no noticeable difference besides that. It tracks super well, but the old car did as well. I can’t tell if new one is better/same/worse.
  • Lane Change Assist (LCA) seems to be better, but still a bit lame. They don’t have standard feedback control. In other words the car still bounces between lane paint instead of picking one line and following it. It also still has trouble recognizing some lane markers, even newly painted very, very visible ones.
  • Adaptive Cruise Control ACC now seems to be slightly integrated with the “recuperation AUTO” function, as it should be. When using Recup Auto as you near a car it acts more like it switched to ACC, much nicer.
  • Interior Accents, the interior “door handles” in exterior color (Mamba Green) look quite nice! IMHO all the other accents through the cabine in “dark silver” cannot really be noticed, seems like a waste for all those pieces.
  • The interior door handles seem to operate differently and easier. Pulling slightly and the door electrically unlatches. If you pull hard you mechanically un-latch the door to open.
  • Rear trunk opening using my foot still rarely works so it continues to be an unused feature. I seem to only be able to open the frunk by waving my hands when I DON’T want the frunk to open…
  • The radio controls are slightly different. I have not gotten those dialed in yet. I mainly listen to SXM radio, sadly it doesn’t start playing whatever was the last source. Still no power on volume configuration.
  • I have not pushed the car and done much driving in Sport +, other than a few full launch mode starts. Seems about the same as old car, fast! Only measuring would tell. Sadly they still don’t seem to do automatic full power in anything but launch mode. Why not automate that, if I ever stomp on the accelerator just use full power for X seconds!!!!
  • Range mode top speed still default 60mph, I knew to change that immediately. Sadly, this is one item Road and Track downgraded the Taycan on in their 2022 car of the year competition.
  • Seemingly no range improvement. Wasn’t really expecting anything large but was hoping for a minor improvement.
  • The new My Porsche App is ok, some features are easier than the old one, some features still missing. I assume this will continue to improve. It lost the tire pressure display feature. I am an IOS phone user only. No idea about Android interactions. I wish this app could mimic the key fob so full local control of the car (lock etc). Why carry a fob?
  • The main PCM seems a bit faster, but no huge change (if any).
  • PDLS +, I cannot see any movement of the lights when turning. I assume “Dynamic cornering light” isn’t a real, or useful function even though I paid for it. It might be super subtle but should not be…
  • The number of EA charging stations is pathetic. They still seem to break quite often, even the few that are open.
  • The brakes now see to use only friction braking in the first few minutes. I only noticed because recuperation isn’t active. I believe this is intended to clean the brakes.
  • Sadly, the center armrest holder is exactly the same, terrible and very hard to use!
  • Various pieces on the car interior are now held in by hex screws, for example the different button areas on the steering wheel. Probably makes adding trim much easier. I think the new look is better.
  • I have walked up to the car, had it automatically unlock, then before I could do anything auto lock again, happened 3 different days. Same using the fob button.
  • I prefer the look of the car with the steel painted roof. I don’t miss the sun on my head!
  • The sports chrono clock has several flaws (did not have it on previous car).
    • It tilts up a bit more than it should
    • It reflects in the windshield, especially at night. The angle and the little hat is not large enough.
    • Honestly looks silly and poor functionality. It should be a full digital display (ie. Apple Watch) and be configurable to show many things.
    • It seems to make a bit more noise when the fan is running.
Kick under the O of PORSCHE to open the trunk (think “Open”). Works 100% of the time in my case.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
For the PDLS+, that function is not enabled for cars in the US bc it wasnt legal until very recently. The Biden bill that got passed last time around, I dont know what to call it (i think it was the build back better) and not being political either way about it, had in it a clause making these advanced head light features finally legal in the US. Porsche hasn’t had a chance yet to implement them, but I talked to the dealer service dept and they are at least hopeful there will be a software/hardware solution enabled to make them work for the cars that are already out there and eventually they will be working from the beginning for model years coming.
I believe you are referring to Matrix light function that is independent of PDLS+.
PDLS is swivel and the + means high beam automatic control. Both worked on my Base and 4S testers I drove. The swivel of beam works a little in Normal and more in Sport. The + just basically senses if there are cars with lights on detected and if not then it turns High Beam on for better visibility which was great on the highway drive at night.

Matrix functionality is not legal in the US for variable light control of the pattern so if you read the description of this function: 84 LEDs are programmed to work as one single light source (i.e. emulate standard non-Matrix LED headlights). This is where the US regs are in the process of being changed to enable that feature that is totally legal and functional in Canada for example. Therefore, Matrix light option in the US is worthless unless Porche enables it via OTA when it becomes legal on older vehicles with Matrix lights that might be a stretch.

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Hyundai Pallisade
I believe you are referring to Matrix light function that is independent of PDLS+.
PDLS is swivel and the + means high beam automatic control. Both worked on my Base and 4S testers I drove. The swivel of beam works a little in Normal and more in Sport. The + just basically senses if there are cars with lights on detected and if not then it turns High Beam on for better visibility which was great on the highway drive at night.

Matrix functionality is not legal in the US for variable light control of the pattern so if you read the description of this function: 84 LEDs are programmed to work as one single light source (i.e. emulate standard non-Matrix LED headlights). This is where the US regs are in the process of being changed to enable that feature that is totally legal and functional in Canada for example. Therefore, Matrix light option in the US is worthless unless Porche enables it via OTA when it becomes legal on older vehicles with Matrix lights that might be a stretch.
THe PDLS+ function has never worked on my car. I had the service dept look at it to verify, and that is what I was told that both functions are not working on US cars. All i can go on is that. From my research on the bill that was signed into law, the matrix lights should now be legal as well.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag

PDLS + does a bit more. It automatically switches on the high beams when no other drivers around but also lowers the high beam when other cars appear ahead until a point when the car ahead is too close and they are switched off. So it is but adaptive too but not as adaptive as matrix.

OP
OP
TayTaySD

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mamba Green Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for sharing. Do you see any difference in fast charging behavior? I.e. does the 2022 charge at higher speeds past 30% charge?
I don't have enough experience to gauge that.

OP
OP
TayTaySD

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mamba Green Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi OP, I am curious

1. What made you decide to remove the glass roof and stayed with steel roof? And

2. What made you decide to remove the 150kw DC charge capability?

Thank you!
I live in San Diego, sunny most of the time. I don't like the sun on my head. Note, I don't like convertibles either. I asked my kids if the glass roof made it nicer in the back seat, they said NO.
Really a personal choice and it didn't hurt that I saved money etc. 2020 the glass roof was required.

What makes you think I removed the 150kw DC Charge capability? That worked fine the very first time I used it. Now plug and charge (2020 you had to use App as well).

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I live in San Diego, sunny most of the time. I don't like the sun on my head. Note, I don't like convertibles either. I asked my kids if the glass roof made it nicer in the back seat, they said NO.
Really a personal choice and it didn't hurt that I saved money etc. 2020 the glass roof was required.

What makes you think I removed the 150kw DC Charge capability? That worked fine the very first time I used it. Now plug and charge (2020 you had to use App as well).
Assume he is referring to this in your post:

Porsche Taycan Upgraded from 2020 Taycan 4S to 2022 Taycan 4S Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 1.59.31 PM

zzy45

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag

Hi OP, thanks for answering. I opted in with the steel roof too :)

I thought you removed the 150kw charger as you listed the following in your removal list?
  • Remove 16 KM2 On-Board 150 kW/400V DC Charger 460.00

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
My ‘21 Taycan headlights swivel with the steering wheel (above a certain speed), just like they do in my 2017 Boxster.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Per the 150kW dc-dc converter upgrade option. I also did not speck this on my 2020 4S and I still have no regrets after 22k miles and 14 months. The reason is I use EA 99% on road trips and looking even across the USA there are only a handful of stations above 100kW that are not 800v capable anyway. Look at all new EVgo HPC chargers etc. Also now with new 800v vehicles, it will be VHS ?.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
There are hardly any 400V DC fast chargers in North America that the Taycan can use. I have seen one or 2 400V CCS before but they are all limited to 50kw anyway which is the max charging speed of the Taycan without that option. Tesla super chargers are 400V but sadly Elon is not sharing...yet

Native voltage for the Taycan is 800V and it can charge at a max rate of 250-270kw (depending on battery) with no option required.

MARTY7

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3P. Fiat 595 Abarth, Audi S8 (Stage 2), DeLorean (Stage 3), Cayenne V8
Country flag
Hi all, sorry if slightly off topic but the topic started as 2020 vs 2022. I had an order in for a 2020 and it went wrong because of my dealer but I was always concerned about rhe 12v issue so hopefully that's now resolved?

I have had a Tesla M3P and a M3LR since and they are superb go karts with ipads in them but not quite a Porsche. I will be looking again this year and hopefully put my order back in for the 4S in dolomite silver or possible red with solid roof. Is everyone basically chuffed to bits with their cars? Tesla are great but lack something, my 2022 M3LR is soooo much better than the previous M3P in terms of finish but still a bit toyish and uncomfortable for long trips.

MARTY7

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3P. Fiat 595 Abarth, Audi S8 (Stage 2), DeLorean (Stage 3), Cayenne V8
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Upgraded from 2020 Taycan 4S to 2022 Taycan 4S Screenshot_20220116_090741_com.google.android.apps.photos

That was my car which I couldn't take delivery of, boooo
Sponsored