Upgraded from 2020 Taycan 4S to 2022 Taycan 4S

NOLAStorm

First Name
Shaquita
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Panny 4S E Hybrid, 2022 Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
Interesting write up. My 22 is in for service and I have a 20 loaner. It’s funny because I’ve been driving it like I stole it vs babying my car. I’ve noticed range is far better in the 20 but I have mission e and only 1200 mi so far. My top range has been just over 200 on a full charge and the loaner had 266 mi range when I picked it up. I’ll probably have the loaner for another week. It will be interesting to see what other differences I notice.
Sponsored

KPZ

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT3
Country flag
Hi, appreciate your post-

I am specking my car now and am curious as to your deletion of innodrive/ ACC.
inwas planning to add these as well as ALK. What was your reasoning? Thank you

SRQ661

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag

DO NOT DELETE adaptive cruise control. Innodrive not worth the money...

OP
OP
TayTaySD

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mamba Green Taycan 4S
Country flag

First off I drive 95% of the time using cruise control in all my cars, I have for several decades.
The ACC in the Taycan is very nice, buy it! I found the innodrive actually unsafe. For example
it would slow down in what it thought was school zones, often out of an area where people
even know there is a school. It did things I believe other drivers are not expecting as well.
I didn't find any useful added functionality then when you throw in extra cost it really isn't a
good thing to buy. LCA is fair, helps a little bit but really is still a poor implementation, it feels
like it has gotten better over the last year. I'm hoping for continuing improvement. Yes I
know this is a Porsche, probably the reason they don't prioritize this. My commute is not on a
track and is very crowded with cars, so I want both safety and excellent driving when I choose to.

OP
OP
TayTaySD

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi OP, thanks for answering. I opted in with the steel roof too :)

I thought you removed the 150kw charger as you listed the following in your removal list?
  • Remove 16 KM2 On-Board 150 kW/400V DC Charger 460.00
Now I understand. Most chargers are 800V DC so it is no problem charging up. If they are a
400V DC based system it will just charge slower. I charge at home and at EA stations. I believe
ALL EA DV fast chargers in my area are 800V DC, thus don't need the DC/DC converter.

"800 V charging is set to go mainstream

Porsche designed the Taycan to also be compatible with the existing 400 V DC fast-charging infrastructure. The car comes with 50 kW capability as standard, with a 150 kW unit as an option."

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
Now I understand. Most chargers are 800V DC so it is no problem charging up. If they are a
400V DC based system it will just charge slower. I charge at home and at EA stations. I believe
ALL EA DV fast chargers in my area are 800V DC, thus don't need the DC/DC converter.

"800 V charging is set to go mainstream

Porsche designed the Taycan to also be compatible with the existing 400 V DC fast-charging infrastructure. The car comes with 50 kW capability as standard, with a 150 kW unit as an option."
From what I have been reading and seeing out of what Tesla might do for making their super chargers compatible with other EVs is adding CCS chargers to the stations. And 400v chargers at that. So, if they do go that way, and their far more extensive network over EA, if any Taycan drivers choose to use it, that option for the converter may then be suddenly more helpful and worth it. This is all speculation thus far, as Tesla hasn’t officially said anything on this in US so far and a couple of super chargers in Texas is all we have seen to indicate anything so far. I’m just putting this info out for consideration. If it turns out to be totally wrong, then so be it.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
@TayTaySD, congrats on your new 4S. Also, I applaud your change of roof choice.

BTW, the solid roof is aluminum, not steel, so in addition to whatever other potential differences you may have considered between the two roof options, it's a lot lighter than the glass one.

pawel

First Name
Pawel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
How about the headroom especially for the passengers in the back? Where is more space for the head in the solid roof or glass one?

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
From what I have been reading and seeing out of what Tesla might do for making their super chargers compatible with other EVs is adding CCS chargers to the stations. And 400v chargers at that. So, if they do go that way, and their far more extensive network over EA, if any Taycan drivers choose to use it, that option for the converter may then be suddenly more helpful and worth it. This is all speculation thus far, as Tesla hasn’t officially said anything on this in US so far and a couple of super chargers in Texas is all we have seen to indicate anything so far. I’m just putting this info out for consideration. If it turns out to be totally wrong, then so be it.
Given the relatively low cost vs the other options then for me its a gamble but one worth taking for any purchaser. If never used then a waste of money but if Tesla do open up then you’d be absolutely kicking yourself not having it.

OP
OP
TayTaySD

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How about the headroom especially for the passengers in the back? Where is more space for the head in the solid roof or glass one?
I'm not sure, probably easier to find that answer online or go to the dealer to sit in both.
My family is average/short, so my 18yo, 21yo and parents in law didn't complain about headroom
in the back of the glass roof car. My kids didn't notice that it felt smaller with the solid roof (psych from not seeing out the roof, I asked). So rear seat height was not really a factor for me. The rear seats do have lots of leg room. I also don't notice any difference from the driver seat, but I'm only
5'8". I am very happy to have the solid roof, but personal preference.

SRQ661

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm not sure, probably easier to find that answer online or go to the dealer to sit in both.
My family is average/short, so my 18yo, 21yo and parents in law didn't complain about headroom
in the back of the glass roof car. My kids didn't notice that it felt smaller with the solid roof (psych from not seeing out the roof, I asked). So rear seat height was not really a factor for me. The rear seats do have lots of leg room. I also don't notice any difference from the driver seat, but I'm only
5'8". I am very happy to have the solid roof, but personal preference.
More headroom with glass. 1.5-2 inches

CAracer

First Name
Johh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes AMG GTS Mercedes GLC300, Honda CRV
Country flag
My 2020 I bought off the lot, they had configured it. So I made quite a few changes in configurator after driving it for 10 months.
2021-12-23 received new 2022 Taycan 4S. Are people interested in my observances of the difference between my 2020 and 2022?

2022 Build Sheet
Y1ADB1 2022 $USD Pos. MTYP/Option Text Retail Price

1 Y1ADB1 Taycan 4S 103,800.00
2 L0 Mamba Green Metallic 800.00
3 QW Leather Interior in Black/Chalk 4,700.00
4 1NP Wheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest 190.00
5 2V4 Ionizer 350.00
6 2W9 Power Charge Port Cover 640.00
7 47I 20" Taycan Turbo Aero Wheels 2,380.00
8 4A4 Heated Seats (Rear) 530.00
9 4D3 Ventilated Seats (Front) 850.00
10 5KA Rear 2+1 Seats 480.00
11 6FU Exterior Mirrors in Exterior Color 660.00
12 6XV Power Folding Exterior Mirrors 330.00
13 79J Lane Change Assist (LCA) 950.00
14 8IU LED-Matrix Design Headlights incl. PDLS+ 1,970.00
15 9VL BOSE® Surround Sound System 1,200.00
16 GT6 Interior Accents in Exterior Color 1,000.00
17 J9K Performance Battery Plus (93.4 kWh) 5,570.00
18 KA6 Surround View 1,200.00
19 P49 Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) 2,050.00
20 Q2J Power Seats (14-way) with Memory Package 1,510.00
21 QJ4 Window Trim in High Gloss Black 400.00
22 VR4 SportDesign Side Skirts 1,030.00
23 VW5 Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass 1,130.00
24 Z3C 3 Years of 30 min DC Charging Sessions w/ Electrify America 0.00
25 P4D Performance Package 6,430.00
Porsche Electric Sport Sound 0.00
Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV+) 0.00
Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control Sport (PDCC Sport) 0.00
Rear Axle Steering 0.00
26 8LH Sport Chrono Package 0.00

Items highlighted are changes from my 2020 Taycan.

Not listed and removed/changed from 2020 on my 2022
  • Remove glass roof, steel roof. 24 P4A Premium Package 7,170.00
  • Remove Porsche Logo on door open light displayed on the ground. 21 UD1 Under Door Puddle Light Projectors 330.00
  • Remove steering wheel heating. 2ZC Steering Wheel Heating i.c.w. Leather Interior 280.00
  • Remove Porsche crest on seat headrest. 9 5ZF Porsche Crest on Headrests (Front and Rear) 570.00
  • Remove Body color keys. 12 AFL Vehicle Keys Painted incl. One Key Pouch in Leather 540.00
  • Remove 16 KM2 On-Board 150 kW/400V DC Charger 460.00
  • Remove 17 NW2 Mobile Charger Connect 1,120.00
  • Remove 18 P4S Porsche InnoDrive incl. Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) 3,610.00
  • Remove 20 QW5 Porsche Intelligent Range Manager 300.00
Well, I like your options. Especially, Mamba Green. Mine will be here in March.. How does the color look in person? I've only seen it on the samples. Thanks

OP
OP
TayTaySD

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, I like your options. Especially, Mamba Green. Mine will be here in March.. How does the color look in person? I've only seen it on the samples. Thanks
I get many compliments on the color everyday. If you want a stealth car don't get it.
This is my SECOND Taycan, both in Mamba Green... ;-)

sufcrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 996 Turbo, 968, 951S, 931
Country flag
  • Lane Change Assist (LCA) seems to be better, but still a bit lame. They don’t have standard feedback control. In other words the car still bounces between lane paint instead of picking one line and following it. It also still has trouble recognizing some lane markers, even newly painted very, very visible ones.
Isn't LCA only the orange warning LEDs in your side mirrors and maybe the slight pulling on the steering wheel if you try to go anyway?

Anyway, lane keeping is what InnoDrive gives you. Which is a paid extra OTA software update.

The description leaves me puzzled as to what it actually is supposed to do, but as I'm currently testing it out for 3 free months, I can say it does do the lane keeping thing way better and without bouncing all the way between the lines. I have had one time where it would still oscillate slightly around the center of the lane though.

OP
OP
TayTaySD

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Isn't LCA only the orange warning LEDs in your side mirrors and maybe the slight pulling on the steering wheel if you try to go anyway?

Anyway, lane keeping is what InnoDrive gives you. Which is a paid extra OTA software update.

The description leaves me puzzled as to what it actually is supposed to do, but as I'm currently testing it out for 3 free months, I can say it does do the lane keeping thing way better and without bouncing all the way between the lines. I have had one time where it would still oscillate slightly around the center of the lane though.
Yes I'm sorry. I was talking about ADCC plus Lane Keeping Assist. Porsche is kind of confusing what ALK and LKA are bundled with... I'm not even sure how ALK and LKA are different?
Sponsored