First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Hello,

I select the on-board 150KW/400v DC charger on my CT for the US market.
Actually, I selected it without asking or understand what I was doing.
It made sense to select it but is it really?
What does it do? Can someone explain it to me?

Thank you in advance
Sponsored

Kakatus10

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Poverty Spec Taycan 4S 21'
Country flag
Hello,

I select the on-board 150KW/400v DC charger on my CT for the US market.
Actually, I selected it without asking or understand what I was doing.
It made sense to select it but is it really?
What does it do? Can someone explain it to me?

Thank you in advance
There is one thing to note. There are a lot of 400v 150KW chargers in America, just 99.9% of them are Tesla's. If Elon ever opens up that network it's a good feature to have, but it's a gamble it will happen in the next 5-8 years in the US. It is only happening in the EU due to the government stepping in.

How I see it, is if you only use DCFC capabilities a few times a year, and you happen to find yourself in this situation, you could top off at 50 KWH rate enough to get to a 350 KWH charger. 50 KHW is about 25 miles of range per 10 minutes. Keep in mind at 50 KWH, you can still go from 5% to 80% in 1.25 hours.

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Given the extra cost of just(compared to the total price of the car) US$460, I would do it for the following reasons:
- more flexibility, even if it's not now, it might be in the future
- resale value, once the option is useful, the resale price will increase
- we all only want the best, don't we :like:

I do have it in my Taycan, it was even a mandatory item for my search of the perfect used Taycan. But then, I live in the Netherlands, with over 200 175kW chargers besides about 40 Ionity 350kW chargers. (the Netherlands is a small country, west to east about 150 miles, south to north about 250 miles, so still plenty of chargers).

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
In the US, it's unlikely you'll ever run across a 400V CCS charger that's more than 50kW.

I got the option because it was cheap, but I doubt I'll ever use it. If you are budget constrained you can skip it, unless you really, really think that Tesla Superchargers will suddenly start working with CCS cars in the US. (and at a price you'd be willing to pay)

Note that things are different in Europe, due to mandated CCS.

Climax_F82

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
22 Taycan
Country flag
I spoke to 3 of my sales guys ( I work at a porsche dealership) and they all told me that i don't need it. I live in California. I have it added on my order, but i still have 52 days to make any changes, so i'll most likely remove it. But i'm still inclined on keeping the option for future proofing.

Greenmachine

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 Range Rover, Tacoma
Country flag
The 19.2kw home charging option has just reappeared on the configurator now that they fixed the issues with it. If you going to spend money on anything this might be a better bet as it will cut your home charging times in half if you have a 100amp setup and will be a better long term investment. 400v charging is already outdated.

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
The 19.2kw home charging option has just reappeared on the configurator now that they fixed the issues with it. If you going to spend money on anything this might be a better bet as it will cut your home charging times in half if you have a 100amp setup and will be a better long term investment. 400v charging is already outdated.
Hmmm. What section are you looking in? I must be missing it somehow?

Greenmachine

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 Range Rover, Tacoma
Country flag
Hmmm. What section are you looking in? I must be missing it somehow?
It is available on the dealer configurator only it seems. I went in yesterday to finalize the build and it was there so we added it and I have it on the final build sheet but you’re right, I can find it on the public configurator at all.

Maybe call your dealer and ask. It’s a $1680 option in case you were wondering.Option KB4

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
It is available on the dealer configurator only it seems. I went in yesterday to finalize the build and it was there so we added it and I have it on the final build sheet but you’re right, I can find it on the public configurator at all.

Maybe call your dealer and ask. It’s a $1680 option in case you were wondering.Option KB4
That’s interesting. And this is a 2021 build? Did you ask about Plug and Charge being affected?

FWIW, I have the 19.2 from before they pulled it and I love it.

What EVSE are you using? I have an 18kW Wall Wattz.
Sponsored