[US EVSE] - Wow they couldn’t have made it any easier…

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
for about the same money as the Porsche charger - you can have a high quality ClipperCreek charger and it’s completely ready for your future mulit-EV household.

This is as easy as it gets folks!!!

I’m really at a loss here as to how this just isn’t the perfect EV install for most people…the ONLY way I’d be more excited was if it was a 60 amp charger - but 9.6 kW charger for dual EV charging - this is pretty much it!! doesn’t get any simpler for an install - and cost is very very reasonable - $1499

https://store.clippercreek.com/level2/level2-40-to-80/40-amp-dual-evse-6-50

one charger install - one breaker - one NEMA 6-50 plug - and BOOM you can charge 1 or 2 EV’s with shared load from the single breaker.

NOTE: Converting an existing NEMA 14-50 to a 6-50 plugs is trivial - so if you’re inclined to do this and are thinking but oh crap I have a NEMA 14-50 - this is an easy easy easy modification - either simply swap the plug out - $50 worth of parts at home depot (turn off the breaker) - or puchase a NEMA-14-50 to 6-50 adapter from Amazone for $30 or less…

Porsche Taycan [US EVSE] - Wow they couldn’t have made it any easier… 04EBF859-1DD9-419C-B4A6-8979D48BC6CE
Sponsored

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Charge 2 electric vehicles. One station. One Circuit. Double your vehicle charging capacity and save. The HCS-D50P is a 40 Amp, Level 2 plug-in EV charging station (NEMA 6-50 plug) that can charge two vehicles simultaneously on one circuit. The HCS-D50P divides electricity between two vehicles, with up to 20 Amps of electricity each when two are charging and up to 40 Amps when one vehicle is charging. The HCS-D50P is installed on one 50 Amp circuit which helps to minimize electrical infrastructure cost. The HCS-D50P can be mounted on a wall in a convenient area thanks to a 25 foot cable reach. The HCS-D50P is a universal charging station and will charge any electric vehicle with the standard SAE J1772 connector. It's power level is suitable for electric cars such as the BMW i3, the Honda Clarity EV, and the Kia Soul EV.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I hope dual chargers become common from every EVSE manufacturer. If I ever replace my old 32A ChargePoint, it'll be something dual. Bonus points for the CC EVSE being 6-50.

Maybe once WFH is truly done in a few years I'll actually feel the need to charge 2 cars at once, once there's a period of time where more than 1 car is actually in use at once. :p

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is what we've been using for about 6 months now. Great charger, and built like a tank.
you have the “dual head” version like I’ve linked here?

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
you have the “dual head” version like I’ve linked here?
Yep. We have one inside the garage and one outside, so we can charge the two EVs in the driveway as well as the Taycan in the garage. Took the electrician a while to install as there's a set of low-voltage signaling lines that need to run between them, but it has been rock solid.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It's a lot more flexible to install an outlet, because you can plug different EVSE in there later if you want to upgrade. Or if you need to run something else you can unplug the EVSE.

Only point of hardwiring is if you want more than a 50A circuit.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
It's a lot more flexible to install an outlet, because you can plug different EVSE in there later if you want to upgrade. Or if you need to run something else you can unplug the EVSE.

Only point of hardwiring is if you want more than a 50A circuit.
Another reason to hardwire - a number of states started requiring GFCI protection for all outlets in the garage and outside, which means an electrician is required to install GFCI on your NEMA 14-50. This causes issues with a number of EVSE's. No fun waking up in the morning realizing your EV is not charged because it tripped the GFCI breaker.

Note that all EVSE's have GFCI built-in, but they will reset periodically automatically (up to some max number of times). GFCI breaker does not auto reset. Additionally, some EVSE's have a self-test which end up tripping the GFCI breaker (they test whether their GFCI functionality works, but end up tripping the upstream breaker in the process).
Sponsored

Last edited: