US Federal Tax Credit Changes/should I get MY2021 or MY2022?

dewber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Subaru Crosstrek, ‘21 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Looking at this forum + news re: the infrastructure bill, it's looking unclear whether the $7500 tax credit will continue for the Taycan in 2022. Anyone have the latest info?

I've got a deposit down for a 2022 RWD (code: PN157AD8 if you want to poke) for delivery in January but I've found a 2021 on the lot that almost exactly matches my spec but has PB+ (aka +5k). Thinking of taking the 2021 even though I don't particularly care for PB+. The way I see it, I pay +5k but have 100% chance of getting the -7500 credit and PB+ (and I get the car now), or I save 5k but small chance of tax credit and no PB+ and get the car in Jan.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
PB+ is worth it if you ask me. If it generally meets what you want, and it's ready and available I'd say go for it. The benefit of a guaranteed Credit would be nice as well. Technically it offsets your PB+ and then some.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
Is the car on the lot new? If new, I would get it and lock in the tax credit. No one knows what the tax rules will be until passed. As of now, they are just talking points.

The PB+ is going to give your car more value at trade in and honestly, if you drive a Porsche like a Porsche, the extra range is helpful.

OP
OP

dewber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Subaru Crosstrek, ‘21 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Is the car on the lot new? If new, I would get it and lock in the tax credit. No one knows what the tax rules will be until passed. As of now, they are just talking points.

The PB+ is going to give your car more value at trade in and honestly, if you drive a Porsche like a Porsche, the extra range is helpful.
Yup, the 2021 is new and is eligible for the credit. Thanks for the advice - leaning towards pulling the trigger.

One last thing to mention is that I'm based in Seattle and the 2021 is in Chicago, so would have to either drive it across the country myself or get it shipped... shipping cost around ~2k right now. I'm not anti-road trip since it's not the winter but it is pretty far.

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
FWIW I think there is a near 100% probability that the FTC will no longer be available on Taycans after 12/31/21. Everything I see points to limiting it to vehicles with MSRP's of something around $50 to $80K.

Last edited:

DACSarasota

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
FWIW I think there is a 100% probability that the FTC will no longer be available on Taycans after 12/31/21. Everything I see points to limiting it to vehicles with MSRP's of something around $50 to $80K.
100%??

Not clear when any of this would go into effect. It is possible in may be retroactive for 2021.

I would probably get it though if I were you if Android Auto isn't critical. Plus you can enjoy it now.

hkarthik

First Name
Karthik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S White
Country flag
I don't expect the EV tax credit for Taycans to survive the current legislative session.

It just doesn't fit well into the "tax the rich" narrative from the political left or the "rich buyers don't need EV tax credits" narrative from the political right.

If it's important to you to save the $7500 on taxes as part of your EV purchase, I'd get the 2021 now, and pay the extra for PB+ which I consider a must-have option.

PythonCoder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
My delivery is on 12/24/2021. Would be sad if there’s a delay and tax credit won’t be available for my Taycan ?

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
100%??

Not clear when any of this would go into effect. It is possible in may be retroactive for 2021.

I would probably get it though if I were you if Android Auto isn't critical. Plus you can enjoy it now.
There's no actual leg drafted on that and they wouldn't enact it for tax year 2021. Nothing will get passed this year and if it does get passed my bet is it would be from the date of enactment forward.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
The tax credit should stand for 2021. They usually extend expired tax credits/deductions after year end, but do not remove existing tax laws.

I would road trip it. Makes and adventure, gets you familiar with the car and charging infrastructure. I would error on the conservative side heading home in case chargers are out of service.

Buy a Tesla Tap for the journey too.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I agree with the others, get the PB+. There is no such thing as too much range on an EV.

dmattingly23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
You can read about the proposed legislation but there’s nothing certain. Anyone who says “100%” is wrong. Politicians are floating around various proposals ranging from: higher credit for US made/union made cars, no credit for foreign made EVs (phased out over time), no credit at all for super wealthy, etc.

Bottom line: nothing is set in stone but plan on the credit going away.

abhasin1

First Name
Arjun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911
Country flag
I would check with the dealer if you can pay for it before the delivery, say last week of December? As long as you make the payment of the car in 2021, you are good (and likely safe). For a lease, this probably will be not a good idea since you may end up paying for 1-3 months vs in buying you only lose interest (which is this market would be couple hundreds I suppose? depends how you finance)
Sponsored