First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
choices ranked:
  • [Laborious]- 120V 15 amp circuit - NEMA 5-15 - household plug - 1.44 kW - anywhere is walking distance if you have the time - this is true for EV charging as well - you can charge from _ANY_ electrical outlet if you have the time
    • so technically you can charge your EV from a house hold outlet - it's a 1.44 kW charge rate so overnight in 8-10 hours you can replenish is 11.5 kWh to 14.4 kWh overnight - and from 2.4 to 3.2 miles per kWh that's 32 to 50 miles of driving a day - but you'll spend 10 hours charging at home…
    • if this is your "jam" great - but I'd suggest most people wouldn't consider this "good" or acceptable for daily use.
    • UPDATE: Jan 2023 - Porsche NO LONGER recommends L1/120V charging for daily use - as per an NTSB article they authored in Dec. of 2022 - I have updated the L1 posting to reflect this new recommendation from Porsche…see this thread for details and copy of the Porsche authored document - https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-related-porsche-ntsb-article-analysis.13902/
  • [Sufficient] - install a 30 amp charging circuit - NEMA 10-30 or 14-30 outlet - this is sufficient but not my recommendation - it's included for completeness - honestly for most daily usage even this level is overkill - 5.7 kW charge rate.
    • this is overkill based on the following theory - daily driving is less than 60 miles - it doesn't really matter how fast the car charges as long as it's ready before you leave in the morning
    • again NOT recommended, but sufficient and included for completeness.
  • [Acceptable] - 40 amp breaker - 32 amp charge rate - 7.68 kW - a lot of previous EV owners may already have this installed.
  • [Good]- install a 50 amp charging circuit - NEMA 6-50 or 14-50 outlet - use the included PMC+/PMCC EVSE that is delivered with the vehicle (purchase a non-Porsche 50 amp EVSE - 40 amp charge rate)
    • matches the Porsche included charger (PMC+/PMCC) - 9.6 kW charge rate - good for 98.675% of the time - most daily charging less than 4 hours (3 or less probably)
  • [Better]- Install a hardwired 60 amp charging circuit - this will maximize your Taycan's standard charging rate - this requires a "wall charger" no mobile EVSE allowed
    • requires purchase of a Porsche Wall Charger or ClipperCreek HCS-60 (or other EVSE of your choosing)
    • kinda a "sweet" spot in my humble opinion - maximiizes the standard Taycan charge rate, but cost effective…easy to get a 60/48 amp EVSE…
  • [Best] - see recommendation for maximum :muscle:expense, future proofing and EV charging dominance…
    • will make your EV friends jealous, and I'll visit just to admire the system
      • my visit may be consider a pro or a con after you read this.
    • [OPTIONAL] - add the 19.2 kW charging option to your Taycan
thanks to @MBAZ - this post is a result of a nice chat we had offline…

the criteria is simple for the rankings - faster home charging is better - and the scale presented ranks charging options on that simple criteriea - faster is better…if that's not your choice to optimize then you can now make an informed decision about what charging system fits your personal needs and budget.

but this set of choices is kinda the "core" set - and I can't honestly think of any other simple set of choices - other than 100% dependance on public fast/slow charging - and this is really honestly not something I personally would recommend…home charging is one of the great benefits of EV ownership - staying with the "gas station" model is the not the goal in my opinion - charging at home MOST/98% of the time is the goal in my opinion…but people have different opinions…

again these are the choices - which is best for you is your choice.

Update Dec. 2022 - Porsche now recommends the HUBBLE industrial/commerical grade NEMA 14-50 (or 6-50) plug sockets. I agree 100% with this recommendation and in my opinion it is a requirement, not simply a recommendation - you would be wise to follow their (and other EV vendor's advice) and specify the Hubble NEMA plug socket to your electrician - do not accept lesser alternatives.

Porsche Taycan [US] - Home Charging Recommendation - this is as simple as I can make it…honestly - bare bones least amount of text… D4E8F869-9E34-4D78-B080-A5C17B7F31CB
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ronglos

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Chevy Bolt, 2022 Taycan
Country flag
I have the ClipperCreek HCS-50. Over powered for my Bolt and underpowered for my Taycan. Perfect for both. One at a time of coarse.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
As cabling can be the pain to install and the breaker is there to protect the cabling from over heating, to future proof, you might want to consider a minimum of 6AWG or 4AWG which would allow you to use the best option at some future date.

zzy45

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Dave, what’s your opinion on dialing down to 50% with the pmc+? I do that in a 50A circuit and get about 4.3kw-4.6kw charge rate.

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Sorry, but more than 50A service shouldn't really be 'better' or 'best' IMO. Including the extra 19.2 kW option, much more expensive cable runs, and a more expensive EVSE, you're probably paying $3,000 extra just to be able to go from 0-80% in 3.5 hours instead of 7. I really worry that somebody that just wants 'the best' would read that and see it as a useful thing to have, when the truth of the matter is that almost nobody would ever be able to make use of that charging speed.

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
I built a new house and did a 100A circuit with two 50A dedicated chargers. This way I can charge two EVs simultaneously at 40A. I initially was going to do the older gen 2 80A charger on my 100amp circuit but thought this would be better future proofing for an all EV or multiple EV household.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Dave, what’s your opinion on dialing down to 50% with the pmc+? I do that in a 50A circuit and get about 4.3kw-4.6kw charge rate.
there is no problem doing this other than slower charging speeds - there is no need to do this - unless you're having problems with the PMC+/PMCC overheating - but for that I simply recommend a non-Porsche 50/40 amp charger that doesn't overheat.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry, but more than 50A service shouldn't really be 'better' or 'best' IMO. Including the extra 19.2 kW option, much more expensive cable runs, and a more expensive EVSE, you're probably paying $3,000 extra just to be able to go from 0-80% in 3.5 hours instead of 7. I really worry that somebody that just wants 'the best' would read that and see it as a useful thing to have, when the truth of the matter is that almost nobody would ever be able to make use of that charging speed.
it is faster charging speeds and other EV's (Ford F150, Rivian, LucidAir) all have high rate charges are larger capacity batteries where you need the faster charging speeds to charge the car overnight (50 amp breaker w/40 amp charger isn't going to top off your F150's batteries from empty in 8 hours)

I'll stick with my categories - also people buying porsches tend to want to overdue it - otherwise PCCB's are equally pointless - there is no need for them - especially on the Taycan.

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
it is faster charging speeds and other EV's (Ford F150, Rivian, LucidAir) all have high rate charges are larger capacity batteries where you need the faster charging speeds to charge the car overnight (50 amp breaker w/40 amp charger isn't going to top off your F150's batteries from empty in 8 hours)

I'll stick with my categories - also people buying porsches tend to want to overdue it - otherwise PCCB's are equally pointless - there is no need for them - especially on the Taycan.
Agree to disagree I suppose. If you're installing a charger for a Taycan though, 50A circuit is plenty, and will still be good even for most other cars too.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I wish people could figure this stuff out better on their own.

What is it that’s difficult and how can we make it simpler? I can’t imagine using kW and kWh is helping. Sure, they’re convenient if you understand them. But people confuse them all of the time and have a hard time attaching them to meaning.

Maybe it would help to just say “energy unit”. Your car holds 83.7 energy units. The PMC+ can supply 9.6 energy units per hour. Your car will get between 2.4 and 3.6 miles per energy unit, depending on how you drive.

Probably still too much math….

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agree to disagree I suppose. If you're installing a charger for a Taycan though, 50A circuit is plenty, and will still be good even for most other cars too.
Plenty is relative. Depends on use cases.

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
@nickmdp By this logic, you could argue that nobody should own a Taycan. We are all overspeccing and overspending on a transportation solution, no?

I have the PWCC 80A EVSE. My reasons:
  • Fastest level 2 charging available, so that I have that maximum possible charging rate on the few occasions when I need it.
  • Future proofing for larger capacity batteries.
  • Turnaround in a heavy local driving day.
  • Jump from charging profile 80% to 100% for short notice departure on a longer trip.
  • Ability to sequentially service two or more EVs and do so in short order e.g. friends or family visiting in their own EV.

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Kinda rude, but whatever. Feel free to state your opinions, and I'll state mine. God forbid I go on a forum and disagree with someone.
Chill out. I just find it funny for someone to scoff the extra cost of the faster charging while at the same time spending $11k on paint.
Sponsored