[US] - Over the Top - the well equipped EV home garage…for those that wish to "over do it"…

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
@daveo4EV I recently charged at my parents house using their Wallbox charger and my dad told me after the fact that according to the Wallbox app, I only pulled 6kW when charging. His Bolt charges at 12kW. Come to think of it, I've actually never seen higher than 6kW except when DC fast charging. I only get 5.1kW on my charger at home (but that's not surprising, I believe it's on a 30A circuit) and I also get somewhere between 5-6kW when using the Chargepoint chargers at work.

Any idea why I'm not getting the full, expected 11kW from my parents Wallbox charger when their Bolt is getting the full amperage?
I'm unaware of any way to "limit" AC charging AMPs with the Taycan (doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just means I don't know how to do it)…

there should be no reason your Taycan did not charge at 11/12 kW if the EVSE provides that level of power.

the best source of information as to charge rate is the internal center display while charging - if you tap the mi/minute value in the main charging display you can see kW instead of furlongs-per-fortnight units…

might be a software limit on the Wallbox for cars it does not recognize?

99% of L2 chargepoint stations are 30 amps @ 208V - which math says is 6 kW - so only getting 6 kW from a chargepoint charger is normal and expected. This is the main reason the 19.2 kW optional charger is pointless in North America - there is very very very limited L2 AC charging infrastructure that is greater than 30/40 amps - if you option the 19.2 kW onboard charger it's going to be very very very rarely used "in the wild"…

do you get 9.6 kW @ home?

I'm going to bet on the Wallbox rather than the Taycan here - and maybe some configuration on the Wallbox was in play during your charging session.
@submatrix If your parent's Wallbox is indeed on a 30A circuit, the max your or any other vehicle will draw is 6.6kW.
Perhaps your parents are mentioning the Bolt's L2 charging maximum power, as opposed to stating actual observed?
In order for them to observe max L2 charging speeds for the Bolt (11.5kW for the latest model?), they would need their Wallbox running at 48A on a 60A circuit.
Sponsored

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@submatrix If your parent's Wallbox is indeed on a 30A circuit, the max your or any other vehicle will draw is 6.6kW.
Perhaps your parents are mentioning the Bolt's L2 charging maximum power, as opposed to stating actual observed?
In order for them to observe max L2 charging speeds for the Bolt (11.5kW for the latest model?), they would need their Wallbox running at 48A on a 60A circuit.
excellent post - also not all Bolt are 11 kW - only newer models - originally the Bolt was a 32 amp maximum vehicle - but newer Bolt's are 48 amp so that's another detail that needs to be considered.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Also just so there is no additional confusion when reading actual usable power that reaches the car, and as reported in the Taycan charging screen, you will never actually see the full 11.5 or 9.6 kW at the car - the EVSE can theoretically output this max but losses from EVSE, cabling etc. means that you will invariably see maybe ca 8.x (for a 9.6kw output) or 10.x kW (for an 11.5 kW output) at the car. My ChargePoint HomeFLex (60A breaker) gives 10.3-10.5 kW at the car consistently - never more.

allroadusa

First Name
Jerome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ Pure White
Country flag
Correct: With my Wallbox running at 32A (7.4kW), the Taycan usually takes 6.7kW on average (over the charging session's duration)

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@submatrix Wallbox charging rate can be limited (below circuit's rated capacity). See clip from Wallbox knowledge base site.
Porsche Taycan [US] - Over the Top - the well equipped EV home garage…for those that wish to "over do it"… 1703714161202

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I'll have to do more testing the next time I visit them. This is just what my dad told me based on what he observed in the Wallbox app, which I presume has logs of past charging sessions. As far as I'm aware he didn't apply any limit to the Wallbox itself.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
just a note - my Tesla wall chargers have 'charging logs' but they are not updated until a vehicle is unplugged (finished charging) - so consulting the logs while the car is plugged in does not good - the logs won't contain the most recent charging session data until the vehicle is unplugged

I'm not saying the wall box is like that - but just a note about how other's behave…
Sponsored