[US] - Over the Top - the well equipped EV home garage…for those that wish to "over do it"…

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, Audi
Country flag
This new Tesla J1772 Wall Connector is a great option for any Taycan that doesn't have the upgraded 80A / 20 KW charger, and for any house that doesn't have enough panel capacity to handle more than a 60A breaker.

For Taycans with the 20 KW upgrade, I think a Tesla Gen 2 Wall Charger with the TeslaTap Gen 2 J1772 Wall Connector Conversion is the best option.
Sponsored

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Tesla just released a J1772 wall connector https://shop.tesla.com/product/j1772-wall-connector?sku=1509549-02-B

This is absolutely the go to charger. It supports up to 60A (so 48a or 11.5kw). It can be added to the tesla app and has some great remote functionality. If you’re thinking about what kind of charger - $550 is the best price to performance to functionality out there.

@daveo4EV what do you think ?
I just ordered one

J-1772 connector
60/48 amp charging - adjustable to any breaker size
reliable
best charging animation in the business
and supports powersharing (shared circuit) for multiple units for your future multi-EV household
$550
and you can purchase a decortative glass front (black, white, blue, red) - $75

what's not to like

it is definately "on the list" of 'go to' chargers - but other alternatives/vendors are a good excellent choice also - just avoid Porsche.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
This new Tesla J1772 Wall Connector is a great option for any Taycan that doesn't have the upgraded 80A / 20 KW charger, and for any house that doesn't have enough panel capacity to handle more than a 60A breaker.

For Taycans with the 20 KW upgrade, I think a Tesla Gen 2 Wall Charger with the TeslaTap Gen 2 J1772 Wall Connector Conversion is the best option.
Yes, if you need/want 20KW at home. Some people get the 20KW charger for out of the house usage, at home they might not care if it’s only 11KW.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
we now have confirmed reports that the Porsche Wall Charger Connect lacks greatness and suffers from similar incompatibility problems as the PMC+/PMCC in terms of charging non-Porsche EV's

I take no pleasure in this - and it is disappointing - I had high hopes for the PWCC - but this makes it a full sweep for all known Porsche EVSE's - the North American PMC+/PMCC/PWCC are expensive, flaky, faulty, unreliable, and incompatible - that's a complete fail across the board for Porsche in the North American residential charging environment. WOW!

I recommend avoiding Porsche as your North American EVSE vendor - please consider high quality alternatives until further notice.

Last edited:

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
we now have confirmed reports that the Porsche Wall Charger Connect lacks greatness and suffers from similar incompatibility problems as the PMC+/PMCC in terms of charging non-Porsche EV's
I laughed out loud at this. Sorry.:oops:

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
post #1 updated with a disclaimer - Porsche can not be my (or any sane person's) recommendation for L2 North American charging equipment - please seek one of many many excellent alternatives for your home EV charging needs and just ignore the Porsche offerings in North America.

their cars are excellent - their North American EVSE(s) not so much.

Last edited:
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
believe what you want to believe - but I am honestly sad tonight about the state of Porsche EVSE - EV charging is already complex and people get confused - this is simply additional complexity for future EV owners and entirely avoidable…the impact of this is erosive and confusing to those that are not "up to speed" on this issue - and the dealer network will be of _NO_ help to their confused and frustrated customers…

this is nothing but bad news - I hope Porsche understand this detail matters and they are working to "fix" it - because status quo here is not good for long term EV and it's not a good "look" for this to be this way...

it makes me sad - honestly it does. :angry::(:swear::mad::confused::eek::crying::oops::facepalm::headbang:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
believe what you want to believe - but I am honestly sad tonight about the state of Porsche EVSE - EV charging is already complex and people get confused - this is simply additional complexity for future EV owners and entirely avoidable…the impact of this is erosive and confusing to those that are not "up to speed" on this issue - and the dealer network will be of _NO_ help to their confused and frustrated customers…

this is nothing but bad news - I hope Porsche understand this detail matters and they are working to "fix" it - because status quo here is not good for long term EV and it's not a good "look" for this to be this way...

it makes me sad - honestly it does. :angry::(:swear::mad::confused::eek::crying::oops::facepalm::headbang:
That is really sad. Makes you wonder how they managed to screw up the entire line of EVSE's and whether or not whatever in their decision making process allowed this to happen can also happen to their car designs.

You know what's even sadder, the one and only competitor which has a proprietary, non-standard charging connector has gone out of their way to offer EVSE's compatible with all cars! The opposite of Porsche choosing to use a standard connector and then making it incompatible with other cars (and flaky for Porsches too as far as PMC+/PMCC).

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Porsche has updated recommendation - interesting - attached to post #1 - analysis here for those that are interested - https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...he-tsb-article-interesting.13902/#post-208977
Appreciate all of the charging info this year Dave. I finally picked up my vehicle (after a really long wait). I plugged it in and everything worked well the first time. This shouldn’t be surprising but I have seen so many having issues that I just wasnt sure. I am a level 6 guy on the Dave scale btw (wallbox). I was originally planning to keep my Porsche charger in the frunk for emergencies but given all of the issues swirling around, I am not sure that it makes sense to do so…. I rarely travel more than 50 miles from home. Thoughts?

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's interesting to note - Porsche's Sept. 2022 NTSB article no longer recommends using 120V charging - only for "emergency" use and for no more than 12 hours.

I believe this to be good advice, and I think it has more to do with the average quality of pre-existing 120V circuits in 99.9% of north american homes - and I can agree with it - most/all 120V/15 amp circuits really are not designed or provisioned to run at near max (80%) capacity for hours on end (it can take 14-16 hours to charge a Cayenne and over 72 hours to Charge a Taycan (or more than 100 hours to charge the upcoming Macan EV) - 99.9% of residential 120V circuits are just not rated for that duration of continuous load - and if you're doing this several times a week the accumulated thermal stress over months and years could be significant, and eventually cause some wire insulation to fail…wire heats up during charging (expands) - charging stops wire cools down (contracts) - so you have this thermal-breathing happening (wire getting bigger and then smaller) this expansion/contraction stress the plastic thermal insulation which is also expanding/contracting and from the heat is warm & mushy - doing htis over years and it will eventually crack and potentiallly fail allowing a short circuit…the way to avoid this is to lower the thermal load, and the way to lower the thermal load is thicker wire (14 gauge instead of 16 gauge or 12 gauge instead of 14 gauge) - you can pass "code" for a 120V/15 amp circuit with 20/18 gauge wire - that wire is going to get really really hot pulling 1.44 kW for 12 hours while charging your Cayenne…

I'm going to adopt porsche's advice here and no longer recommend anyone really honestly consider using a 120V/15 amp circuit for daily charging duty for their Hybrid or EV

I would "allow" it if you install a dedicated 120V circuit on upgraded wire (14/12/10 gauge) - no shared plugs - but by the time you're doing this just install a 240V circuit and that matches Porsche's recommendation from this NTSB article as well and is good/solid advice. 240V charging will both charge your EV/Hybrid faster and place less accumulated thermal load on the wire when it takes only 2 hours to charge your Cayenne instead of 14 hours…over weeks/months/years the accumulated thermal-hours of load will be significantly less for 240V vs. 120V.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Appreciate all of the charging info this year Dave. I finally picked up my vehicle (after a really long wait). I plugged it in and everything worked well the first time. This shouldn’t be surprising but I have seen so many having issues that I just wasnt sure. I am a level 6 guy on the Dave scale btw (wallbox). I was originally planning to keep my Porsche charger in the frunk for emergencies but given all of the issues swirling around, I am not sure that it makes sense to do so…. I rarely travel more than 50 miles from home. Thoughts?
I'd only carry any mobile charger with me these days if I'm leaving my "home area" and research indicates I'm going someplace with no public charging infrastructure (national park for example) - having a mobile charger in the frunk of your EV is so 2015 (this is my evolving position as we all get further and further into this whole EV thing)...these days you're going to use a business/hotel charger or near by fast charger - and having your mobile charger in the frunk still means best case 8 hours to 80-90% from 5% - it's really at this point a "safety" net like a spare tire or tools to work on the side of the road

my recent ~2500 mile trip to/from washington I didn't use my mobile "kit" even once - all other people's charger…

Mobile chargers are now more of an "uncle mike's cabin" affair - a cabin you visit once/twice a year on a lake and town is 30 miles away and there is no charging infrastructure - and you're going to plug your Ev in overnight so that it's full in the morning…

basically bring it with you when you KNOW you're going to need it and be able to use it (you've veified you'll have access to an electrical outlet where you need it) vs. carrying it with you because you _MIGHT_ need it…

the Porsche EVSE is not a bad (free/included) choice for this infrequent duty - I these days recommend a good high quality high reliability home garage charger - and then honestly I think we're evolving to the point that a mobile EVSE in North American really is becoming less and less necessary, but still useful for the rare time that you need it (like a spare tire and about as frequently used)…

mobile charger is also a good idea if you OWN a vacation home and want to haul a charger back and forth - but honestly if you own a vacation home - I'd recommend $200-$700 for an EVSE to just installe/leave at the vacation home ;-)

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Catching up on updating threads like this, adding my garage to the "for those who wish to overdo it".

Porsche Taycan [US] - Over the Top - the well equipped EV home garage…for those that wish to "over do it"… 1682578337197

Porsche Taycan [US] - Over the Top - the well equipped EV home garage…for those that wish to "over do it"… 1682578351020

There are 2 additional NEMA 14-50 wall receptacles on the back of the garage, one by each car, in case we needed to use a plug-in one. One of the NEMA 14-50 is connected to a whole house generator circuit, so can charge (at a reduced rate) during power outages if absolutely needed. In 10 years of driving EV's however, never ever charged from the generator though (ok, once, to test the generator since I could use my Tesla as a custom load, as Tesla lets you control the AC charging current from inside the car).

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'd only carry any mobile charger with me these days if I'm leaving my "home area" and research indicates I'm going someplace with no public charging infrastructure (national park for example) - having a mobile charger in the frunk of your EV is so 2015 (this is my evolving position as we all get further and further into this whole EV thing)...these days you're going to use a business/hotel charger or near by fast charger - and having your mobile charger in the frunk still means best case 8 hours to 80-90% from 5% - it's really at this point a "safety" net like a spare tire or tools to work on the side of the road

my recent ~2500 mile trip to/from washington I didn't use my mobile "kit" even once - all other people's charger…

Mobile chargers are now more of an "uncle mike's cabin" affair - a cabin you visit once/twice a year on a lake and town is 30 miles away and there is no charging infrastructure - and you're going to plug your Ev in overnight so that it's full in the morning…

basically bring it with you when you KNOW you're going to need it and be able to use it (you've veified you'll have access to an electrical outlet where you need it) vs. carrying it with you because you _MIGHT_ need it…

the Porsche EVSE is not a bad (free/included) choice for this infrequent duty - I these days recommend a good high quality high reliability home garage charger - and then honestly I think we're evolving to the point that a mobile EVSE in North American really is becoming less and less necessary, but still useful for the rare time that you need it (like a spare tire and about as frequently used)…

mobile charger is also a good idea if you OWN a vacation home and want to haul a charger back and forth - but honestly if you own a vacation home - I'd recommend $200-$700 for an EVSE to just installe/leave at the vacation home ;-)
I agree with your thoughts on the carrying a mobile charger. In a decade of driving EV's, the only time I ever used my mobile charger was when I drove to visit relatives for a week, and plugged in the mobile EVSE in their garage - I knew ahead of time this was the plan. With the Taycan, out of habit perhaps, I still threw in my mobile charger (40A Tesla one) with all of its adapters and a Tesla Tap adapter. It fits neatly in a small part of the under the floor of the trunk (take up 1 sq.ft, maybe). On my recent cross country trip, I did end up using the Tesla Tap at a couple of hotels I stopped along the way, never needed a mobile EVSE - it was all either EA DC charging or Tesla destination charging (via TeslaTap adapter).
Sponsored