[US] - Over the Top - the well equipped EV home garage…for those that wish to "over do it"…

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
I am in the group to not overdo it and prefer a clean install in a fully remodeled garage.
May be not the ideal location as I have to trace the charging behind the 1st car to reach Taycan.
However, this is only happening at night, so when not in use it will be hiding behind some coats.

Porsche Taycan [US] - Over the Top - the well equipped EV home garage…for those that wish to "over do it"… 1682594730318
Sponsored

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I agree with your thoughts on the carrying a mobile charger. In a decade of driving EV's, the only time I ever used my mobile charger was when I drove to visit relatives for a week, and plugged in the mobile EVSE in their garage - I knew ahead of time this was the plan. With the Taycan, out of habit perhaps, I still threw in my mobile charger (40A Tesla one) with all of its adapters and a Tesla Tap adapter. It fits neatly in a small part of the under the floor of the trunk (take up 1 sq.ft, maybe). On my recent cross country trip, I did end up using the Tesla Tap at a couple of hotels I stopped along the way, never needed a mobile EVSE - it was all either EA DC charging or Tesla destination charging (via TeslaTap adapter).
summary:
  • mobile charger - meh - not so much these days in north America - but carry it if you want the safety net.
    • these days it's like a spare tire, and used about as frequently
  • TeslaTap - YES - have one of these with you in the car!!!
    • this is one of the reasons you don't need to carry a mobile EVSE with you!! If you have a TeslaTap you can use other people's Tesla chargers.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
summary:
  • mobile charger - meh - not so much these days in north America - but carry it if you want the safety net.
    • these days it's like a spare tire, and used about as frequently
  • TeslaTap - YES - have one of these with you in the car!!!
    • this is one of the reasons you don't need to carry a mobile EVSE with you!! If you have a TeslaTap you can use other people's Tesla chargers.
Help me understand the TeslaTap use.
I am in Indiana, so obviously no superchargers open to Taycans.
However, regular Tesla chargers are everywhere.
Can I use a TeslaTap and then plug into a Tesla Charger if I locate one on the map?
Then if that is possible, what do I need (Tesla App to get it started)?
Then what is the type of charge that I am expecting to get from it, 16kw?

For example, we go to Fair Oak Farms that has a few Tesla Chargers in the parking lot.
Can I plug into those and charge as Tesla's do, if so, then would Tesla owners be very upset and do something to my car when we are getting ice cream with family?

Porsche Taycan [US] - Over the Top - the well equipped EV home garage…for those that wish to "over do it"… 1682617818248

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Help me understand the TeslaTap use.
I am in Indiana, so obviously no superchargers open to Taycans.
However, regular Tesla chargers are everywhere.
Can I use a TeslaTap and then plug into a Tesla Charger if I locate one on the map?
Then if that is possible, what do I need (Tesla App to get it started)?
Then what is the type of charge that I am expecting to get from it, 16kw?

For example, we go to Fair Oak Farms that has a few Tesla Chargers in the parking lot.
Can I plug into those and charge as Tesla's do, if so, then would Tesla owners be very upset and do something to my car when we are getting ice cream with family?

1682617818248.png
you can use normal tesla chargers not superchargers

no app required - just permission of the business owner

it’s just an EVSE like your home unit so no network or activation or billing

rate will vary from 4kw to 19.2kw depending on the install at the business hosting the charger

you are overthinking it - it’s just a normal EVSE and will charge your taycan just like your home unit and at the same speed :like:

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Only if they are raging assholes.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
you can use normal tesla chargers not superchargers

no app required - just permission of the business owner

it’s just an EVSE like your home unit so no network or activation or billing

rate will vary from 4kw to 19.2kw depending on the install at the business hosting the charger

you are overthinking it - it’s just a normal EVSE and will charge your taycan just like your home unit and at the same speed :like:
I see, well the farm has like 12 superchargers so those would be a no go for me.
The 2 that are not super kind are at the farm hotel, so if I ask the hotel, they may decline as I am visiting and not staying (although the farm and hotel are the same business and super nice people), but good to know that I can just ask and that I just plug and charge.
Also, would you be so kind to send me a link to purchase the TeslaTap of the best kind unless there are many kinds.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I see, well the farm has like 12 superchargers so those would be a no go for me.
The 2 that are not super kind are at the farm hotel, so if I ask the hotel, they may decline as I am visiting and not staying (although the farm and hotel are the same business and super nice people), but good to know that I can just ask and that I just plug and charge.
Also, would you be so kind to send me a link to purchase the TeslaTap of the best kind unless there are many kinds.
http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50

buy 60 amp version if you have standard taycan
buy 80 amp version if you have the optional 19.2 kw on board charger upgrade (unlikely)

use it where ever tesla chargers are found

super chargers are being updated to support ccs vehicles like taycan - but no roll out schedule to date - there is no promise that any particular supercharger site will be updated - the teslatap is not and will never be used/required for supercharge compatibility - using a supercharger requires something wholly different

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
  • mobile charger - meh - not so much these days in north America - but carry it if you want the safety net
There is one legit user for mobile charger still. I forgot about it earlier as I personally only ever used it once in 10 years, but just talked with someone who was thinking of going to Europe for a couple of months and leaving their EV at the airport for that time. The airport has EV charging sports which have standard NEMA 5-15 sockets available for each spot. They are meant for long term EV parking, but you have to bring your own mobile charger.

Given recent Porsche recommendations against using L1 chargers, I wonder if you had to leave your Taycan for a couple of months in the middle of cold winter, would it be better to keep it plugged into an L1 Charger or just let it sit there. I'm curious how much SoC it would drop in couple of months in the cold.

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
There is one legit user for mobile charger still. I forgot about it earlier as I personally only ever used it once in 10 years, but just talked with someone who was thinking of going to Europe for a couple of months and leaving their EV at the airport for that time. The airport has EV charging sports which have standard NEMA 5-15 sockets available for each spot. They are meant for long term EV parking, but you have to bring your own mobile charger.

Given recent Porsche recommendations against using L1 chargers, I wonder if you had to leave your Taycan for a couple of months in the middle of cold winter, would it be better to keep it plugged into an L1 Charger or just let it sit there. I'm curious how much SoC it would drop in couple of months in the cold.
I assume that Porsche's recommendation against L1 is more due to the variability of quality and load rating of home wiring. The concern would be that the supply cable feeding the EVSE's NEMA 5-15 socket likely has other things connected to it; that it hasn't been selected for running full tilt at 12A continuous draw with no other draw upon that circuit.

L1 for long term storage on a presumably purpose-designed circuit like this airport parking seems like a good use case.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I assume that Porsche's recommendation against L1 is more due to the variability of quality and load rating of home wiring. The concern would be that the supply cable feeding the EVSE's NEMA 5-15 socket likely has other things connected to it; that it hasn't been selected for running full tilt at 12A continuous draw with no other draw upon that circuit.

L1 for long term storage on a presumably purpose-designed circuit like this airport parking seems like a good use case.
See discussion by @whitex in this thread:

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
@daveo4EV I recently charged at my parents house using their Wallbox charger and my dad told me after the fact that according to the Wallbox app, I only pulled 6kW when charging. His Bolt charges at 12kW. Come to think of it, I've actually never seen higher than 6kW except when DC fast charging. I only get 5.1kW on my charger at home (but that's not surprising, I believe it's on a 30A circuit) and I also get somewhere between 5-6kW when using the Chargepoint chargers at work.

Any idea why I'm not getting the full, expected 11kW from my parents Wallbox charger when their Bolt is getting the full amperage?

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
That’s the most anyone gets from ChargePoint public L2 chargers. And half that if both plugs are in use.
(No idea what’s going on at your father’s home charger. Unless you set something on your Taycan to limit the rate given the 30 amp circuit you have at home? I know that our i4 has that setting, although I can’t remember if my Taycan has something similar.)

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
That’s the most anyone gets from ChargePoint public L2 chargers. And half that if both plugs are in use.
(No idea what’s going on at your father’s home charger. Unless you set something on your Taycan to limit the rate given the 30 amp circuit you have at home? I know that our i4 has that setting, although I can’t remember if my Taycan has something similar.)
Yeah, I don't expect to get more from the Chargepoint chargers. Trying to figure out why I'm not pulling more from the Wallbox though. I don't think Taycans have a setting to limit current...

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@daveo4EV I recently charged at my parents house using their Wallbox charger and my dad told me after the fact that according to the Wallbox app, I only pulled 6kW when charging. His Bolt charges at 12kW. Come to think of it, I've actually never seen higher than 6kW except when DC fast charging. I only get 5.1kW on my charger at home (but that's not surprising, I believe it's on a 30A circuit) and I also get somewhere between 5-6kW when using the Chargepoint chargers at work.

Any idea why I'm not getting the full, expected 11kW from my parents Wallbox charger when their Bolt is getting the full amperage?
I'm unaware of any way to "limit" AC charging AMPs with the Taycan (doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just means I don't know how to do it)…

there should be no reason your Taycan did not charge at 11/12 kW if the EVSE provides that level of power.

the best source of information as to charge rate is the internal center display while charging - if you tap the mi/minute value in the main charging display you can see kW instead of furlongs-per-fortnight units…

might be a software limit on the Wallbox for cars it does not recognize?

99% of L2 chargepoint stations are 30 amps @ 208V - which math says is 6 kW - so only getting 6 kW from a chargepoint charger is normal and expected. This is the main reason the 19.2 kW optional charger is pointless in North America - there is very very very limited L2 AC charging infrastructure that is greater than 30/40 amps - if you option the 19.2 kW onboard charger it's going to be very very very rarely used "in the wild"…

do you get 9.6 kW @ home?

I'm going to bet on the Wallbox rather than the Taycan here - and maybe some configuration on the Wallbox was in play during your charging session.
Sponsored