[US] - Over the Top - the well equipped EV home garage…for those that wish to "over do it"…

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
Thanks to this thread I ended up with the right charger for my needs. Didn’t end up clicking the 19.2kw option which actually would have only costed me another $3000 incl the updated charger, but frankly I don’t need those 3-4 hours of quicker charger since my daily use is < 20 miles.

Ended up with the 11kw charging option instead:
Porsche Taycan [US] - Over the Top - the well equipped EV home garage…for those that wish to "over do it"… 0FF22586-AD48-42C1-8442-CDD4DB10FF54

now I just need my Tacan...
Sponsored

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I have a 200A sub-panel with its own meter for TOU pricing off 600A service. The sub-panel feeds 1 Tesla Gen 1 EVSE @ 100A and 2 Gen 2 EVSEs load-balancing 100A. I currently have 3 EVs and 11.2kW of solar. FOR THE WIN! :)

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Last edited:

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
hmmm....had major issue with old wiring in my garage and so may now to do a rewiring job...and thought "how can I spend even more?!" and thought of this thread...hmmm

Crick

First Name
Crick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volt, 2009 BMW X5D, 2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
All I need is a good contractor in Palo Alto. Recommendations welcome!

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Does anyone know of a charger that would allow for a variable charging rate?

I was thinking that for the health of the battery, if I am not in a rush, I would prefer to do daily charging at a much lower rate (3kw) overnight, and when I need to get a quicker charge, or need to charge a lot, to set it to 11kw and charge quicker.

This would be for the daily charging I do (e.g. going from 50-60 to 85).

Or do you think that it really makes no difference in charging often at 3kw vs. 9 or even 11?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Does anyone know of a charger that would allow for a variable charging rate?

I was thinking that for the health of the battery, if I am not in a rush, I would prefer to do daily charging at a much lower rate (3kw) overnight, and when I need to get a quicker charge, or need to charge a lot, to set it to 11kw and charge quicker.

This would be for the daily charging I do (e.g. going from 50-60 to 85).

Or do you think that it really makes no difference in charging often at 3kw vs. 9 or even 11?
I do not think it makes any difference at all when charging with AC up to 11 kW. There have been many Tesla’s that have charged daily with 11 kW.

secondly, if you really want to do this, you can simply dial down the ampers on the PMCC! I am not sure how low you can go but cerainly down to say 6 ampere with a single phase connection.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I don’t have any specific data to back this up, but I would be surprised to find there is a noticeable (if an) difference in those rates.

But considering the max AC charging rate relative to the max charging rate or even the max AC charging rate compared to the average discharge rate during normal use, I just find it unlikely.

Also look at the expected degradation rate and consider that’s you’re starting point for having an impact.

Sounds like extreme couponing.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I don’t think you would notice any difference dusting down from 11Kw. But you should be able to dial down the amps on your charger. The zappi & Porsche chargers allow you to set that in settings.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Yeah, I am definitely guilty of over optimizing - but I am waiting for the electrician to fix my garage issues, so I have to do some extra engineering ;)
I don’t understand why the selection isn’t built into the cars. Seems trivial....

plamichigan

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Cayenne, 1970s era Buick
Country flag
There are several levels of preparing your garage for your future EV baby (babies)…since all EV's can charge from just about any amount of electricity one can pretty much charge from any garage that has electrical power if one has the time…

Read below for what level you are - level 5 is the recommendation for most people - level's beyond 5 require a certain madness and willingness to engage in the un-necessary but potentially beneficial future planning.

Level 7 is recommended for those that order the MY’2021 optional 19.2 kW charger for north america.

Go on take the EV charging home setup test - what level are you?

Level 0 - Public Charging - no charging for me in my garage - that's the wimps way out!!

You are all wimps - OMG you have to have a charger installed in your home and your garage to be a security blanket for your EV ownership. Grow a pair, embrace the future, and rely solely on public EV charging infrastructure. Me - I"m going to charge at 270 kW ALWAYS - because it's fast, it's free - and I'm developing a relationship with this one gal on the EA customer support line, she sounds nice, and always comp's me my charging session…do you think I should ask her out?​
And beside I can shop at Whole Foods while my car charges in the parking lot - win win!!​

Level 1 - Inadequate but some people try - NEMA 5-15 Household Outlet - 1.44 kW - 120 volts @ 15 amps (12 amps for charging)

NEMA5-15P-B_1200x1200.jpg

(70 hours for a full charge from near zero % battery).
this can be done, and for 8-10 hours over night you can add 12-14 kWh - which is about 50 miles daily driving range - I don't recommend it -but technically it works and most garages have an existing NEMA 5-15 so this is the zero cost I'm going to use what I have approach. In North America the PMCC comes with this plug adapter so it will all just work - but be painful slow for any serious charging demands​

Level 2 - Slight better but still Inadequate - NEMA 5-20 - 1.92 kWh - 120 volts @ 20 amps (16 amps for charging)

NEMA 5-20.png

(50 hours for a full charge from near zero % battery).
not much better than the NEMA 5-15 but is technically faster - 8-10 hours charging is almost 20 kWh - or about 65 miles daily driving range - again many people might have this already in their garage for an engine block heater or air compressor​
the PMCC does not come with a NEMA 5-20 adapter, and Porsche doesn't sell one - you'd have to buy an EVSE that offers this support - and by the time you're buying another EVSE - why oh why would you stop here? It's documented purely for completeness.​

Level 3 - I own an RV and have a NEMA TT-30 installed near my drive way - I can just use that!!! 2.88 kW - 120 volts @ 30 amps (24 amps for charging)

c285520a-0d07-4591-badf-80141e41d14b._CR0,0,1902,1902_PT0_SX300__.jpg

(34 hours for a full charge from near zero % battery).
RV hooks up come in two flavors - NEMA 14-50, and NEMA TT-30s - it's therefore likely some people will already have this in their garage, side of the house, or near the driveway for their RV -this isn't a half bad circuit - 2.88 kW can do nearly 30 kWh over night - which is almost 100 miles daily driving for your typical 10 hour overnight charging session.​
Porsche doesn't sell a TT-30 adapter, so you'd have to buy a TT-30 to NEMA 10-30, 6-30, 14-30 adapter and then use a 30 amp EVSE with this setup (the PMCC with one of Porsche's 30 amp supply cables would do the trick) - it will work and may not be horrible - still a bit of a jury rig IMHO and still not ideal for occasional high usage days - but fine for daily driving.​

Level 4 - I have an unused 30 amp circuit in/near my garage - NEMA 6-30, 10-30, 14-30 plug 5.76 kW - 240 volts @ 30 amps (24 amps for charging)

150px-Nema_6-15.svg.png
201901175c40777316a1b.jpg
NEMA-14-30-PLUG-DIAGRAM-(w)-800x800.jpg
(16 hours for a full charge from near zero % battery)

this is the bare minimum for an EV owner in my humble opinion but honestly will do just fine for most usage. The only issue with this approach is the plug is unlikely to be well located relative to where you'd want it for EV charging and EVSE placement - still it's better than nothing and will offer a healthy 57 kWh for a 10 hour overnight charge or almost 200 miles daily driving range for a 10 hour charge session.​
Porsche sells a NEMA 6-30 or 14-30 adapter for the PMCC that comes with the car, and your electrician bill is likely to be cheap to change/move the plug. This is a great choice and if you already have one of these in the garage it certainly is going to be the cheapest option for getting your EV charging up and going.​
Also a viable option if your electrician says your home can't handle the addition of a 50 amp circuit without a main panel upgrade (expensive o_O:crying::headbang::() - you might be able to get away with a 30 amp breaker - for less $$$​
Level 4.5 - I have an existing 40 amp 7.2 k2 (32 amp) EVSE from previous EV ownership and see no reason to upgrade

ChargePoint-Carousel-Nema6-50.png

(13 hours for a full charge from near zero % battery)

this is a great choice - and honestly if you've already got a 40 amp (32 amp) EVSE installed this will charge your Taycan just fine and reasonably fast. I honestly can't fault anyone for this approach.​

Level 5 - I have or I'm going to install a 50 amp circuit + plug - NEMA 6-50 or NEMA 14-50 - 9.6 kW - 240 volts @ 50 amps (40 amps for charging)

1450_vs_650_large.jpg

(11 hours from a full charge from near zero % battery)

this is the recommend path from me and Porsche and the EV community at large - this will exploit the full power of the included Porsche Mobile Charge connect and is the largest circuit one can have installed with a mobile EVSE. NEMA 14-50 can provide a healthy 96 kWh in 10 hours of charging, which is more than the capacity of your Taycan's battery. Daily drives of up to 80 miles a day will be dispatched over night in less than 3 hours of charging time on one of these circuits. This circuit matches the Porsche North American specification for maximum charge rate and is an excellent all around choice.​
There is nothing wrong with this install and it will nearly maximize your Taycan's charging rate and for 98% of your lifetime usage it will never take more than 4 hours to charge your vehicle - this is affordable, easy, and will serve you well over the next several years.​
Normal people stop here - do not proceed unless you want your mind blown!!! If you are timid, logical, and only interested is what is necessary and prudent, and well considered - please do not proceed beyond this point. What lies beyond this point in the posting is pure madness and only for those that wish to over prepare!!​
:devil::handsinair::computerrage::muscle::headbang:

Level 6 - I read Internet forums and I know Porsche is lowballing us with the 9.6 kW specification - my Taycan can actually charge at 11 kW - 240 volts @ 60 amps (48 amps for charging)

HCS-60 with cert and energystar-800x800.jpg

(8.5 hours for a full charge from near zero % battery)

it turns out the maximum charge rate for your Taycan is not 9.6 kW, but in fact 11 kW like the rest of the world. However to realize that charge rate you'll have to install a non-Porsche EVSE (no problem 100% confidence in this approach - honestly no big deal) - but the charger will NOT be mobile, it will be hardwired.​
However to realize this you need to have a 60 amp circuit installed and purchase something like a ClipperCreek HCS60 EVSE or Tesla Wall Charger Gen2/Gen3 - this will charge your Taycan at it's true maximum charge rate of ~11 kW - meaning in 4 hours of charging you can pump 44 kWh of raw unbridled power into your battery - leading to a driving range of just over 140 miles range. Your wimp-ass daily roundtrip commute of 52 miles will take a mere 100 minutes of charge time - I laugh at your charge time and think you are too much of a pretty boy to have it this good!!!​

D5633B1E-1578-44BE-A458-F1EEDD20D0C9.jpeg

[OCT. 2020 UPDATE] Level 7 - I ordered the 19.2 kW charging option for my MY’2021 Taycan - Porsche missed the memo that even Tesla no longer shipped EV’s witih more than 48 amp L2 charging on board.

HCS-60 with cert and energystar-800x800.jpg
ClipperCreek HCS 100 (100 amp breaker) - 19.2 kW of charging goodness!
80 amps of charge rate!!
(6 hours or less for a full charge from 0% battery)​

Congratulations you’ll be able to charge faster than all of us! I’m quite frankly jealous. 19.2 Kw charge rate can charge the Taycan from 0% to 100% in slightly less than 6 hours. Daily commute distances (70 miles or less) will be dispatched in just about 1 hour of charging. This is the maximum specified charge rate available from an L2 (Level 2) North American J-1772 standard. The _ONLY_ way to charge an EV any faster in North America would be to install a FastDC charger costing 10’s of thousands of $$$ and probably requires rare 3-phase commercial electrical feeds.​
My recomendation for this install is the ClipperCreek HCS100 or HCS80 - you’ll need a 100 amp circuit/breaker to achieve the full 19.2 kW charge rate. Consult with your electrician about funding his child’s college education for this installation. The HCS80 w/Share2 functionality is a great choice here but will only charge a 64 amps (15.36 kW) but given it can be shared with a future 2nd EVSE to split the load it’s a great choice.​
Highly recommend a full subpanel in the garage if you’re going this route. A full 150/125/100 amp “sub-panel” with appropriate breakers to match what ever high amp charger you install will lead to EV charging happiness.​

Level - ∞ @daveo4EV - how can I do more? I wish to prepare for today and tomorrow and really really want the ideal setup for my garage!!! I not only want to prepare my garage for my Taycan but I want to over prepare my garage for all future EV power options - 11 kW is good, but how can I do more? How can I prepare my garage for today, tomorrow and my eventual needs as a 1st world consumer that wants for nothing!!! I'm the type of person that must over prepare and be ready for anything!!!

NEW BLACK HCS-80 SHARE2_no etl-800x800.jpg
'
5Z885_AS02.jpeg

(8.5 hours for a full charge from near zero % battery)
Well my friends you've come to the right place :cool:. There are steps you can take to make your current EV charging scenario maximize your Taycan charging experience, but also prepare you for your glorious multi-EV future.​
  • Buy an EV with more than 11 kW charging capacity - yeah we've got you covered!
  • Need charging for multiple EV's simultaneously - yeah no problem!
  • Want to have both plug based and hardwire options for maximum ease of use and EV kingdom control - yeah this is the setup for you!
Drum roll please, :rock:this is @daveo4EV ideal over the top totally un-necessary EV garage setup plan for today, tomorrow and the future:​
  • Add a 125 amp circuit to your existing main house panel
    • Route this 125 amp circuit to a brand new 8+ slot 150 amp sub-panel installed in your garage
    • Install a 100 amp breaker as the main breaker in this new subpanel (double breakers for maximum safety, 125 amps at the main, 100 amps on the sub)
  • Install an 80 amp breaker in the new subpanel
    • off of this new shiny 80 amp breaker - install a ClipperCreek HCS80 share2 EVSE (64 amps of charging goodness for your Taycan and future EVs)
      • NOTE: this will not charge your Taycan any faster than the HCS60 - but will potentially charge future EV's faster if they can handle the raw power
      • UPDATE: MY’2021 Taycan’s and beyond have a 19.2 kW on board charging option - to take advantage of this charge rate you’ll need an 80 or 100 amp breaker and matching EVSE - 80 amp breaker = 64 amp charge rate (15.36 kW), and 100 amp breaker = 80 amp charge rate (19.2 kW)
  • Also Install a 50 amp breaker in the new subpanel
    • off of this new shiny 50 amp breaker - install a NEMA 6-50/14-50 plug for maximum easy of use, and flexibility. This plug will be there incase your EVSE is broken (wife has run over the cable and broken your plug) or just testing EV equipment for which you need a NEMA 14-50/6-50 plug handy
A nice juicy 125 amp dedicated circuit to your garage will allow for future dual 60 amp EV chargers to charge 2 EV's at 48 amp each!!! And the addition of a NEMA 14-50 for the pure convenience of having a 14-50 plug handy means that you can test, and play with various EV chargers with a minimal hassle factor. Yes my friends this is how you over do an EV charging setup. 60/80 amp EVSE from Clipper Creek & NEMA 14-50 plug for all your other EV testing/charging needs. All wrapped up in a nice tidy 100 amp sub-panel in the garage so that it's easy to change and play with your EV charging configurations to remain over the top and flexible far into the future.​

Excellent post and one that will help a lot of users. Thanks @Dave EV.

One question: are you saying your level 5 (50 am circuit) will allow the included-with -the-care mobile charger to be plugged in and run at 50 amps?

I am using that charger at home (on a standard 115VAC 15 amp circuit) and it will only allow 8 amps without a special "charging manager."