[US] - Over the Top - the well equipped EV home garage…for those that wish to "over do it"…

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I actually can't find any general reference that strictly requires a neutral to be connected on a 14-50 (or a receptacle generally that requires a neutral).
The closet thing I can come up with is 110.3(B) which says listed and labeled equipment shall be installed in accordance with instructions from the listing and labeling. Might learn more from UL 498, but I don’t have a copy of that.
Maybe I’ll post it on an electrical forum later to see, because I am quite curious now.
I did try to follow up on this.

Discussion here if anyone cares to follow along. Spoiler alert, it’s not a terribly productive discussion…
https://www.diychatroom.com/threads/does-code-require-neutral-connection-to-14-50.724501/

I’m not sure I got a strong consensus, but if I had to go with something, I would stick with 110.3(B). At a minimum, I don’t think there’s anything else that’s going to require it, so I think it’s that or nothing.

But only two people actually cited 110.3(B) and it took 23 posts to get to the first one (despite me putting it in the very first post as a suggestion…and referencing it again on two additional posts).
Sponsored

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
It should be noted that for levels 6 and above the newly available North American Porsche Wall Charger for $1600 is probably _GREAT_ choice - it has adjustable AMP’s so it can fit most _ANY_ install and provides support for charging from 20-80 amps (24-100 amp 240V breakers) - if you’re going for hardwired non-mobile EVSE for your home install Porsche’s offering should be on your list to consider…

https://shop.porsche.com/us/en/porsche-wall-charger-connect/p/$B-HCHH0LAA/

my _ONLY_ minor reservation is that it is unclear if this EVSE will support load sharing to split load between 2 or more EVSE’s in the future sharing a single breaker - if you are planning for future multiple EVSE and want this functionality recommend you contact Porsche for information about potential existing or future support - otherwise you can consider other EVSE’s like the excellent ClipperCreek chargers w/Share2 support…

my guess is that _IF_ Porsche were to support load-sharing it will require the Porsche Home Energy Manager - but that is pure speculation on my part…

but for a high-amp 19.2 kW (or less) EVSE in North American I feel this is an excellent choice in the set of options.

also remember these chargers/EVSE’s are _NOT_ vendor specific - so installing this EVSE in your home will also charge your Tesla, Lucid, GM Hummer, F150 Lightning, Rivian, Audi eTron, etc…

19.2 kW is the current maximum charge rate supported by the North American J-1772 L2 charging standard - and requires a 100 amp dedicated circuit for this type of install - consult your local bonded & licensed electrician for his thoughts on your personal home electrical situation - this charger can be configured/adjusted for most _ANY_ breaker size, but once you’re below 70 amp breaker there are more affordable excellent high quality alternatives for 1/2 the price - this however _IS_ very competitive in the realm of 100/80 amp EVSE’s at $1600’ish…and should be a good option.

Last edited:

TCT

First Name
François
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB E350, Taycan CT4 Mamba green
Country flag
It should be noted that for levels 6 and above the newly available North American Porsche Wall Charger for $1600 is probably _GREAT_ choice - it has adjustable AMP’s so it can fit most _ANY_ install and provides support for charging from 20-80 amps (24-100 amp 240V breakers) - if you’re going for hardwired non-mobile EVSE for your home install Porsche’s offering should be on your list to consider…

https://shop.porsche.com/us/en/porsche-wall-charger-connect/p/$B-HCHH0LAA/

my _ONLY_ minor reservation is that it is unclear if this EVSE will support load sharing to split load between 2 or more EVSE’s in the future sharing a single breaker - if you are planning for future multiple EVSE and want this functionality recommend you contact Porsche for information about potential existing or future support - otherwise you can consider other EVSE’s like the excellent ClipperCreek chargers w/Share2 support…

my guess is that _IF_ Porsche were to support load-sharing it will require the Porsche Home Energy Manager - but that is pure speculation on my part…

but for a high-amp 19.2 kW (or less) EVSE in North American I feel this is an excellent choice in the set of options.

also remember these chargers/EVSE’s are _NOT_ vendor specific - so installing this EVSE in your home will also charge your Tesla, Lucid, GM Hummer, F150 Lightning, Rivian, Audi eTron, etc…

19.2 kW is the current maximum charge rate supported by the North American J-1772 L2 charging standard - and requires a 100 amp dedicated circuit for this type of install - consult your local bonded & licensed electrician for his thoughts on your personal home electrical situation - this charger can be configured/adjusted for most _ANY_ breaker size, but once you’re below 70 amp breaker there are more affordable excellent high quality alternatives for 1/2 the price - this however _IS_ very competitive in the realm of 100/80 amp EVSE’s at $1600’ish…and should be a good option.
Does the Porsche Wall Charger work well even in areas where there is no WIFI connection ?

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
Does the Porsche Wall Charger work well even in areas where there is no WIFI connection ?
It supports power line communication as an alternative to WiFi (requires PLC on the other side), but not sure if it can operate with zero networking. Arguably connectivity is desirable in order to benefit from software updates.

Reactions: TCT

AyTifosi

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S, 2022 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I'm a noob and trying to learn. So go gently on me :) Following the OP's guidance I went with #6 and ordered a Clipper Creek HCS-60. My 2020 Taycan 4S has the Performance Battery Plus and 150kw/400V DC charger, however, I don't see any option for upgraded charging over the 9.6kw. For the first few weeks, I've had to visit the Electrify America chargers and used the 150kw charger. Doing that the car's battery screen shows a charging rate of about 5 miles/min. I'm understanding it's not good to charge at that rate all the time. Today the electrician installed a 60Amp breaker and ran the wiring 30' to the center of the garage and installed the Clipper Creek ($1300). Using it, I am charging at 0.20 miles / min (car on) or 0.40 miles/min (car off). 0.20 miles /min = 1 mile / 5 mins or 12 miles per hour. The rate was the same from cold (45 degrees F), or after driving 10 miles on the freeway. This seems slower than I expected. Or, does that seem about right?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Using it, I am charging at 0.20 miles / min (car on) or 0.40 miles/min (car off). 0.20 miles /min = 1 mile / 5 mins or 12 miles per hour. The rate was the same from cold (45 degrees F), or after driving 10 miles on the freeway. This seems slower than I expected. Or, does that seem about right?
0.4 is about right. It’s better if you tap the display and switch it to kW. That will be a higher resolution and you can see what power you’re pulling at the car.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
.40 miles/min (car off).
When charging at home overnight (let’s say 10 hours), you get:

.4 miles per minute x 60 mins/hr x 10 hours = 240 miles of range added

AyTifosi

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
0.4 is about right. It’s better if you tap the display and switch it to kW. That will be a higher resolution and you can see what power you’re pulling at the car.
I didn't know I could switch it. It read 10.4 kw. That makes more sense. Thanks!

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I didn't know I could switch it. It read 10.4 kw. That makes more sense. Thanks!
if you had only installed a 50 amp (breaker) - (40 amp charge rate) -the screen would show something like 8.8 kW instead of 10.4 kW…

the 10.4 kW means you’re using the full 48 amps (60 amp breaker).

AyTifosi

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
if you had only installed a 50 amp (breaker) - (40 amp charge rate) -the screen would show something like 8.8 kW instead of 10.4 kW…

Okay, thanks. This is starting to make sense. Appreciated!

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC

I'm getting 8.9kw with a 60-amp breaker.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm getting 8.9kw with a 60-amp breaker.
that is the charge rate of 9.6 kW “raw” - which is a 50 amp break (40 amp charge rate) - what charger are you using and how is it configured - with 60 amp breaker (48 amp charge rate) you should expect 10 kw or more shown in the vehicle during charing.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
that is the charge rate of 9.6 kW “raw” - which is a 50 amp break (40 amp charge rate) - what charger are you using and how is it configured - with 60 amp breaker (48 amp charge rate) you should expect 10 kw or more shown in the vehicle during charing.
That’s what I’m hoping for with my 60 amp breaker and my ChargePoint charger.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Mobile charger that comes with the car (not the one with the screen/wifi)
Dedicated SD HI breaker using 2 spots on the panel. (FL residential panel)

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
That’s what I’m hoping for with my 60 amp breaker and my ChargePoint charger.
Assume your ChargePoint will be hardwired. Do you have backup if hardwired EVSE should fail? (That's why I am going with 50amp circuit and receptacle.)
Sponsored