[US] - Over the Top - the well equipped EV home garage…for those that wish to "over do it"…

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Decided in the end to leverage the 60A breaker capacity of the HomeFlex with a hardwire install and a 60A breaker - other 14-50 receptacle will be used separately for a different application (will be changing hard wired setup for my 4-post lift to a plugged setup - will allow me to use with a backup system in case of power outages and so can operate lift) :)
Glad you decided to comply with electrical code. haha
And, you got backup receptacle and backup circuit. You da EVSE home charging man. ;)
Sponsored

SECRET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Does anyone know if the Porsche Wall Charger Connect communicates with other units to manage load if two are sharing a circuit?

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Does anyone know if the Porsche Wall Charger Connect communicates with other units to manage load if two are sharing a circuit?
_IF_ it were to do this you would most likely need the Porsche Home Energy Manager to do this - but I'm not sure if it will manage total load between multiple (2 or more) Porsche Wall Chargers…

I'm very interested in one of these - but so far it does not appear to be a "thing" in North American markets…

https://tequipment-finder.porsche.com/uk/J1/Taycan/&ac=product&pr=B281BB0139B23934C125853B00606071

Porsche Home Energy Manager
With the Home Energy Manager, we are offering an intelligent solution that allows you to charge your vehicle quickly and easily at home. This device constantly monitors the current power requirements of your household and compares these with the available power at the power connection. The device controls the charging power of the vehicle so that the domestic electric circuit is not overloaded during charging. If an overload is imminent, the Home Energy Manager communicates with the Mobile Charger Connect, to manage the charging process and, if required, reduce the power to the charging process.

Highlight functions:
- Supports smart charging in combination with the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect
- Optimises the charging processes of your electric vehicle
- Controls the charging processes of several vehicles simultaneously
- Optimises charging costs (where variable electricity prices are available)
- Supports sustainable charging by using domestically generated electricity, e.g. from a photovoltaic system

Please note: The integration of the Home Energy Manager into the domestic electricity system and its installation must be performed by a service provider or electrician. Please contact your Porsche Centre for more detailed information. Additional current sensors are also available from your Porsche Centre.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag

SECRET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Thanks folks. I think I will replace my Tesla Wall Connector Gen1 with the Porsche Wall Charger Connect (or the Clipper Creek CS-100 70/80 Selectable) then ask the electrician to install a 2nd 240V plug on the same circuit on the opposite side of the garage. This will give me the option to manually dial back the Porsche Connect should I want to add a 2nd unit (or when someone delivers a good energy management solution for 80A charging)

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks folks. I think I will replace my Tesla Wall Connector Gen1 with the Porsche Wall Charger Connect (or the Clipper Creek CS-100 70/80 Selectable) then ask the electrician to install a 2nd 240V plug on the same circuit on the opposite side of the garage. This will give me the option to manually dial back the Porsche Connect should I want to add a 2nd unit (or when someone delivers a good energy management solution for 80A charging)
clipper creek HCS80 has share2 function where two HCS80 ‘s can be configured to share load off a single breaker

SECRET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
clipper creek HCS80 has share2 function where two HCS80 ‘s can be configured to share load off a single breaker
Yes, I’ve definitely considered that too.

Am I crazy for wanting to get to max out the 19.2kW charge speed at home? When I had the Model S 70D, the faster charge rate of the Tesla Wall Connector (~59 mi/hr) turned out to be a lifesaver in a few situations throughout ownership. Was the difference between my wife loving vs hating electric cars due to the charging anxiety.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
80 amp is 64 amps charging rate for one vehicle…

which is 15,360 watts - or 15.36 kW - @ 3 miles/kWh that is a charge rate of 46 miles range per-hour of charge…that's pretty good

full charge time @ this rate for 84.3 kW @ 10% charging overhead is: 5.97 hours _WORSE_ case vs 5 hours for the 19.2 kW charging rate…

I'd install the ClipperCreek HCS80 - set it for share 2 functionality -and not sweat it - 5 vs. 6 hours for _FULL_ charge (0 to 100%) is going to be inconsequential differences for "daily use"

60 miles daily driving = 20 kWh (or less)

64 amps = 1.43 hours
80 amps = 1.1 hours

so for daily use you're talking 85 mins vs. 66 minutes charge time

I'd go for the greater convienence of a nice and fully functional shared EV charging system with a dual HCS-80 - with full knowledge that the time delta between 64 amp charging and 80 amp charger is probably going to never be a major factor.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Your electrician should tell you (or the inspector will), you cannot have a 240V plug (socket actually) connected to 100A circuit. There is a way you can do it, but you will have to add a new 50A breaker between the 100A circuit and the 50A NEMA 14-50 for example. Your other option, probably preferred by you, just run the 100A to the other side of the garage but don't put a socket, but instead have the electrician terminate it in a junction box to which you can in the future connect a second, load balancing charger. If you already know what charger you want to use, check to see what wiring is needed between it and and a second charger to balance, and have the electrician run that low voltage connection too. This way you will have a pre-wired garage for a second charger. Or, just have him wire the one charger and don't worry about pre-wiring the second one, pay for it when you need it.

SECRET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Just a quick update. First thank you to @daveo4EV, @whitex, and @Jhenson29 for your quick advice and feedback last month.

I ended up ordering the dual Clipper Creek HCS-80 with Share2 Enabled. Originally the lead time on the kit was 18 weeks, which the website still says it does, but the EVSEs have already come in well ahead of schedule.

The installers are at the house right now swapping out the Tesla Wall Connector with the new unit and adding the second HCS-80 on the opposite corner of the garage. They're running the power and communication line to the first HCS-80 unit behind our sheetrock.

This system is coming in literally half a year before I expect the car (still at V070), so I will likely try to do some trial runs with it on my brother's Model 3. I have a 296 GTB on order as well, but I will be quite shocked if that arrives before the Taycan.

Thanks all for the advise and feedback. Exciting times

etrexler

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991 C4S
Country flag
I’m loving this thread and looking for a Level 5+ option. Does anyone know any electricians in the Frederick, MD area that have experience with this type of installation? I’m concerned that most electricians will not understand how to make this work.

Thanks,
Eric

pshrosbree

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Cross Turismo 4 (Y1BBD1)
Country flag
I ended up ordering the dual Clipper Creek HCS-80 with Share2 Enabled. Originally the lead time on the kit was 18 weeks, which the website still says it does, but the EVSEs have already come in well ahead of schedule.
Great choice. This is what I have, and have been very happy with the setup. The ClipperCreek stuff is rock solid. You can probably tell the quality from just inspecting the unit(s). Very cool.

Last edited:

SECRET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Great choice. This is what I have, and have been very happy with the setup. The ClipperCreek stuff is rock solid. You can probably tell the quality from just inspecting the unit(s). Very cool.
Yes! Install was a bit of a handful to get everything behind sheetrock, but the finished product is clean. Need to patch the drywall but other than that, I am super happy with the end result.

Now... need a Taycan to charge.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
it's worth noting since the original authorship of this article the world has moved on (Sept. 2020) - while I still highly regard the Clippercreek products Porsche now has an excellent North American charger with adjustable AMPS from 20-100 amp breakers - the Porsche Wall Charger at $1500'ish is an excellent option and offers many of the same advantages as competitive non-mobile hardwired EVSE's.

anywhere ClipperCreek (or other) chargers are discussed one can safely assume a Porsche Wall charger is a viable option.

the _ONLY_ reason not to consider the Porsche Wall Charger is if you plan to installed multiple EVSE's in your home and want to share a single high-amp circuit - other chargers clearly offer this capability (Clippercreek share2 functionality for example) and while I believe the Porsche wall charger probably has this functionality when installed and configured with a Porsche Home Energy Manager, the Porsche HEM at this time does not appear to be a "thing" for North America and details and information about the HEM's capabilities in North America and with the Porsche Wall charger remain scant…

the Porsche Wall charger is an excellent and price competitive choice for anyone considering a high-amp North American EV charger install scenario.

https://shop.porsche.com/us/en/porsche-wall-charger-connect/p/$B-HCHH0LAA/

Crick

First Name
Crick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volt, 2009 BMW X5D, 2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
FWIW, I'm happy with the Clippercreek HCS-D50 -
40 Amp Dual Charging Station, Level 2, 240V, 25-foot cable, Hardwired

It was simple to install hardwired to a 50 amp breaker.

The 25' cables are pliant, easily manipulated, and long enough to comfortably reach two vehicles in the garage.
The "dual" feature works "all by itself," piping e's to either vehicle as needed

My home is 5 minutes from a 150 KWh fast charger - so when I'm short of time and charge, I'm able to add ~5mi/minute close to home. Otherwise, the 40 amp charge rage for home use is totally adequate.

Porsche Taycan [US] - Over the Top - the well equipped EV home garage…for those that wish to "over do it"… 5A83A91E-D3AE-496A-8155-C6426CFC5CD3_1_105_c
Sponsored