[US] - Over the Top - the well equipped EV home garage…for those that wish to "over do it"…

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
FWIW, I'm happy with the Clippercreek HCS-D50 -
40 Amp Dual Charging Station, Level 2, 240V, 25-foot cable, Hardwired

It was simple to install hardwired to a 50 amp breaker.

The 25' cables are pliant, easily manipulated, and long enough to comfortably reach two vehicles in the garage.
The "dual" feature works "all by itself," piping e's to either vehicle as needed

My home is 5 minutes from a 150 KWh fast charger - so when I'm short of time and charge, I'm able to add ~5mi/minute close to home. Otherwise, the 40 amp charge rage for home use is totally adequate.

5A83A91E-D3AE-496A-8155-C6426CFC5CD3_1_105_c.jpeg
I can +1 this. We have had HCS-D50 dual charger system since Summer 2020 and it has performed like a champ.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
Love my ChargePoint HomeFlex (Daveo4Ev's info in a post and some other users here helped make my decision).

Porsche Taycan [US] - Over the Top - the well equipped EV home garage…for those that wish to "over do it"… ChargePoint

Last edited:

Terra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many
Country flag
It should be noted that for levels 6 and above the newly available North American Porsche Wall Charger for $1600 is probably _GREAT_ choice - it has adjustable AMP’s so it can fit most _ANY_ install and provides support for charging from 20-80 amps (24-100 amp 240V breakers) - if you’re going for hardwired non-mobile EVSE for your home install Porsche’s offering should be on your list to consider…

https://shop.porsche.com/us/en/porsche-wall-charger-connect/p/$B-HCHH0LAA/

my _ONLY_ minor reservation is that it is unclear if this EVSE will support load sharing to split load between 2 or more EVSE’s in the future sharing a single breaker - if you are planning for future multiple EVSE and want this functionality recommend you contact Porsche for information about potential existing or future support - otherwise you can consider other EVSE’s like the excellent ClipperCreek chargers w/Share2 support…

my guess is that _IF_ Porsche were to support load-sharing it will require the Porsche Home Energy Manager - but that is pure speculation on my part…

but for a high-amp 19.2 kW (or less) EVSE in North American I feel this is an excellent choice in the set of options.

also remember these chargers/EVSE’s are _NOT_ vendor specific - so installing this EVSE in your home will also charge your Tesla, Lucid, GM Hummer, F150 Lightning, Rivian, Audi eTron, etc…

19.2 kW is the current maximum charge rate supported by the North American J-1772 L2 charging standard - and requires a 100 amp dedicated circuit for this type of install - consult your local bonded & licensed electrician for his thoughts on your personal home electrical situation - this charger can be configured/adjusted for most _ANY_ breaker size, but once you’re below 70 amp breaker there are more affordable excellent high quality alternatives for 1/2 the price - this however _IS_ very competitive in the realm of 100/80 amp EVSE’s at $1600’ish…and should be a good option.
Do you know if the 80amp F150 Lightning pro charger will work on the Taycan?

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you know if the 80amp F150 Lightning pro charger will work on the Taycan?
it should no problem - these chargers are not vendor or vehicle specific - at least they shouldn't be

if charging was vehicle specific you could not charge them at public chargers…because there is no way you could keep every public charger up to date to handle specific vehicles.

the North American public charging standard is J-1772 - and this standard is what most/all EVSE's (the Ford and Porsche charger are an EVSE not a charger - the charger is inside the vehicle) compatible with all North American EV's.

Ford's charger is/should-be a J-1772 charger and therefore some be able to charge any EV sold in North America - Ford, Chevy, Rivian, Tesla, Porsche, Mercedes etc…literally anything - Hybrids also!!

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
if charging was vehicle specific you could not charge them at public chargers…because there is no way you could keep every public charger up to date to handle specific vehicles.
Actually that is a logical fallacy. Just because EV vehicles need to accept charge from any EVSE following the standard, does not meat that every EVSE must accept any vehicle which follows the standard. Tesla allows you to lock your wall charger to Tesla only vehicles, perhaps even specific VINs of Tesla vehicles. Porsche apparently also made their PMCC Porsche only (you are my source on that one).

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Actually that is a logical fallacy. Just because EV vehicles need to accept charge from any EVSE following the standard, does not meat that every EVSE must accept any vehicle which follows the standard. Tesla allows you to lock your wall charger to Tesla only vehicles, perhaps even specific VINs of Tesla vehicles. Porsche apparently also made their PMCC Porsche only (you are my source on that one).
that doesn't mean they don't follow the standard (in porsche's case it does) but it does mean they can add behaviors to prevent charging - but that's counter productive to the standard in my humble opinion.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
that doesn't mean they don't follow the standard (in porsche's case it does) but it does mean they can add behaviors to prevent charging - but that's counter productive to the standard in my humble opinion.
There exist valid reasons for making EVSE not accept all cars. For example:
  1. If you have a condo reserved parking spot at which you install an EVSE, you might want to not allow other cars to charge for free (whether parking in your spot or adjacent spots). Again for Tesla Wall Chargers there supposedly exists an option to lock the charger to a list of Tesla VINs (it will not allow non-Tesla cars at all in that mode). I don't have any Gen3 chargers, so cannot confirm, but even Gen1 and Gen2 had the ability to query for the VIN (though it was never used to offer VIN based lockouts, unless you implemented your own controller, which some people did).
  2. Tesla used to provide free destination chargers to businesses, which defaulted to now allowing non-Tesla cars (via a TeslaTap or like adapter). Questionable benefit, perhaps, but at that time Tesla wanted a Tesla-only destination charger network, so if they paid for the hardware and sometimes even install, they could ask for a period of exclusivity.
In Porsche's case they just screwed up the design completely. I don't think they intentionally locked out other brands. Given the latest nerfing via OTA, unless Porsche designed the PMCC in-house and only outsourced the manufacturing, I think they have a valid case against the Tier-1 which designed and manufactured those. I wonder if Audi and/or VW have the same issues with their chargers, or was this a Porsche Exclusive fuck-up.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There exist valid reasons for making EVSE not accept all cars. For example:
  1. If you have a condo reserved parking spot at which you install an EVSE, you might want to not allow other cars to charge for free (whether parking in your spot or adjacent spots). Again for Tesla Wall Chargers there supposedly exists an option to lock the charger to a list of Tesla VINs (it will not allow non-Tesla cars at all in that mode).
  2. Tesla used to provide free destination chargers to businesses, which defaulted to now allowing non-Tesla cars (via a TeslaTap or like adapter). Questionable benefit, perhaps, but at that time Tesla wanted a Tesla-only destination charger network, so if they paid for the hardware and sometimes even install, they could ask for a period of exclusivity.
In Porsche's case they just screwed up the design completely. I don't think they intentionally locked out other brands. Given the latest nerfing via OTA, unless Porsche designed the PMCC in-house and only outsourced the manufacturing, I think they have a valid case against the Tier-1 which designed and manufactured those. I wonder if Audi and/or VW have the same issues with their chargers, or was this a Porsche Exclusive fuck-up.
it's a matter of authorization - once a vehicle is "authorized" the chargers all deliver power the same/standard way - but on the "front end" of the negotiation you can put authorization to see if charging teh vehicle is "allowed"

the chargers are all the "same" (or they should be) - but they can vary in how they decide to "let the vehicle" charge.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
it's a matter of authorization - once a vehicle is "authorized" the chargers all deliver power the same/standard way - but on the "front end" of the negotiation you can put authorization to see if charging teh vehicle is "allowed"

the chargers are all the "same" (or they should be) - but they can vary in how they decide to "let the vehicle" charge.
Touché.

Chedman13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GL63 Brabus B63 Widestar, Awaiting Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Regarding the update on the PMCC to charge at default at 50%, isn’t the issue the power cord adapter from the PMCC to the wall outlet that overheats?
I believe the wire gauge is too small/thin and should have been thicker (maybe a 4 awg or 6 awg)? I think it’s a 10 awg? I’m too lazy to go check what was stamped on there.

then Porsche could send out brand new adapter cords at a thicker gauge, probably at a huge cost to them.

I still like the optics of the wall box and charger- and for my needs I was already charging at about 50% the max overnight (to 80% the car battery). I read somewhere faster charging degrades the battery faster, so set it down.

I rarely have a need to fast charge as all of it is done overnight.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Regarding the update on the PMCC to charge at default at 50%, isn’t the issue the power cord adapter from the PMCC to the wall outlet that overheats?
I believe the wire gauge is too small/thin and should have been thicker (maybe a 4 awg or 6 awg)? I think it’s a 10 awg? I’m too lazy to go check what was stamped on there.

I still like the optics of the wall box and charger- and for my needs I was already charging at about 50% the max overnight (to 80% the car battery). I read somewhere faster charging degrades the battery faster, so set it down.

I rarely have a need to fast charge as all of it is done overnight.
See the other thread regarding overheating.
Only DC charging excessively may degrade battery over the long term. Charge at any speed you want AC - the car will only accept so much AC power.

KoSoVaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Performance, M5 Comp
Country flag
Tesla just released a J1772 wall connector https://shop.tesla.com/product/j1772-wall-connector?sku=1509549-02-B

This is absolutely the go to charger. It supports up to 60A (so 48a or 11.5kw). It can be added to the tesla app and has some great remote functionality. If you’re thinking about what kind of charger - $550 is the best price to performance to functionality out there.

@daveo4EV what do you think ?
Sponsored