Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
https://insideevs.com/news/558875/us-porsche-taycan-sales-2021q4/
US: Porsche Taycan Sales More Than Doubled In 2021
The electric Porsche sales almost matched the Porsche 911.
Porsche Taycan US Taycan sales more than doubled in 2021 2021-porsche-taycan-4s-cross-turismo

Porsche reports outstanding sales results in the U.S. In the fourth quarter, the company sold a total of 18,410 cars (up 5% year-over-year), which allowed setting a new, all-time annual record of 70,025 (up 22% year-over-year and 14% over the previous record in 2019).

A big part of this positive trend is electric cars. In Q4, Porsche sold 2,191 Taycan/Taycan Cross Turismo (all versions), which is 44% more than a year ago. This result also represents 11.9% of the total.

Porsche Taycan US Taycan sales more than doubled in 2021 porsche-taycan-sales-in-the-us-in-q4-2021

As we can see, the Porsche Taycan family was among the top four Porsche models during the period:

Porsche Taycan US Taycan sales more than doubled in 2021 porsche-sales-us-q4-2021

In 2021, Porsche sold 9,419 Taycans (all types), which is 113% more than in 2020. The Taycan was the fourth best-selling Porsche, just several hundred units behind all versions of the 911.

Doubling the sales translated also into a very good 13.5% share for all-electric cars in the Porsche lineup. Cumulatively, Porsche sold almost 14,000 units of the Taycan.

Unfortunately, Porsche doesn't reveal sales for the plug-in hybrid Panamera and Cayenne, which would further increase the xEV share, but the company has revealed that the combined share of electrified vehicles (BEVs and PHEVs as we understand) is at 17%.

It means roughly 3.5% for plug-in hybrids, which must be about 2,450. Not too many.

Porsche Taycan US Taycan sales more than doubled in 2021 porsche-sales-us-q4-2021-b

The future outlook is great as the manufacturer reports a record number of orders on hand:

"Orders ended the year at the highest level recorded, with customer demand across all model lines and all three powertrains: electric, plug-in and combustion."

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I saw this but no mention of how many Cross Turismo in any of the articles.
I haven’t seen any numbers of what fraction of current Taycan sales are CT vs sedan body style. However, judging from the topics and traffic on this forum, I have to admit that there seems to be way more enthusiasm for the CT in the USA than I would have expected. Given the US car buyer’s aversion to station wagons, I would have expected the CT to mainly do well in Europe. Personally, I do like the CT’s styling and practicality and I am happy to see its apparent success in the US.

optik382

First Name
Fletcher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bolt, 2023 XC90 PHEV, 2022 Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I haven’t seen any numbers of what fraction of current Taycan sales are CT vs sedan body style. However, judging from the topics and traffic on this forum, I have to admit that there seems to be way more enthusiasm for the CT in the USA than I would have expected. Given the US car buyer’s aversion to station wagons, I would have expected the CT to mainly do well in Europe. Personally, I do like the CT’s styling and practicality and I am happy to see its apparent success in the US.
That's because it's not a station wagon because it has that plastic stuff around the wheels that no one likes but still makes us buy it. Surprised you didn't know that ;-)

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's because it's not a station wagon because it has that plastic stuff around the wheels that no one likes but still makes us buy it. Surprised you didn't know that ;-)
Was born ignorant, will die ignorant…

optik382

First Name
Fletcher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Was born ignorant, will die ignorant…
I think it's a funny irony, honestly. They put this plastic on and call it "cross" turismo to try to get some sales in the US market, but then the "sport turismo" GTS one comes without the ugly plastic and all us enthusiasts are like "oh no that's the one I actually wanted!!"

Personally, for me, swallowing the appearance of the plastic cladding on that CT so that I could have the practicality of the hatch, and placing my order, waiting 9 months to get the car, and two weeks before it shows up they announce the Sport Turismo... didn't feel super awesome.

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think it's a funny irony, honestly. They put this plastic on and call it "cross" turismo to try to get some sales in the US market, but then the "sport turismo" GTS one comes without the ugly plastic and all us enthusiasts are like "oh no that's the one I actually wanted!!"

Personally, for me, swallowing the appearance of the plastic cladding on that CT so that I could have the practicality of the hatch, and placing my order, waiting 9 months to get the car, and two weeks before it shows up they announce the Sport Turismo... didn't feel super awesome.
I get your frustration. The CT is a very good looking car but the ST is even better looking without that plastic cladding around the wheel arches. It is a strange kind of logic to associate brittle plastic with ruggedness. Audi and Volvo did that before with some of their wagons. Porsche seems to regard that as conventional wisdom now…. This being said, other CT features make more rational sense, such as an extra-high ride height setting and improved bottom protection for the battery (does the Ct actually have that?).

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag

I personally like the look of the CT more than any other variant. Glad you like the GTS but that’s the thing about style, it varies greatly from person to person. With that said I can definitely understand how you’d be annoyed by the situation you described. The good news is that if you don’t mind waiting again you can probably turn a profit on your CT and still get what you want.

Bella

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4 CT, Prius
Country flag

I’m surprised very few people are painting the Arches. I keep debating whether to paint them.

HeTakesThatFivePercent

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S (incoming)
Country flag

I feel you. Have loved station wagons since childhood and would've ordered the CT in a heartbeat if it didn't come with all that plastic cladding. Even with the car painted black, just not a fan of that "quasi-rugged" look. Don't like it on the Audi Allroad or the Volvo XC-whatevers either.

Only a month or two after my order locks on the sedan, they announce the Sport Turismo, which is so beautiful - easily the most gorgeous of the Taycan pack IMO.

optik382

First Name
Fletcher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m surprised very few people are painting the Arches. I keep debating whether to paint them.
Interested if you find a good solution here. It's textured black plastic, and in my understanding that is not a good substrate for a durable and cosmetic automotive paint finish.

bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
I have the white CT with all the black trim(wheels, inlays, handle, window trim) so the off road design package, also known as black cladding;), fits my build. It's the finishing touch to all the other black trim pieces. Plus it does provide protection from the little road debris nicks and dings.

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
The Merc E wagon is now only available in the states lifted and with black wheel arch cladding. It’s lost it’s elegance IMO but I’m sure the accountants and marketers know more than we do how these changes impact sales.

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Merc E wagon is now only available in the states lifted and with black wheel arch cladding. It’s lost it’s elegance IMO but I’m sure the accountants and marketers know more than we do how these changes impact sales.
Well, we are supposed to appreciate Doc Martens boots as fine and elegant women’s footwear too, no?
Sponsored