First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Authored by Jaclyn Trop in a TechCrunch online article on July 8, 2022:
https://techcrunch.com/2022/07/08/white-house-tesla-to-expand-its-u-s-supercharger-network-to-other-evs-in-late-2022/

The USA White House praised Tesla's plans to open its EV charger network to all by year-end 2022. To access Supercharger stations, drivers of other EVs will need to download Tesla's app and use an adapter.

But then there's another online article from May 11, 2022 saying Tesla is adding a CCS connector to their Superchargers:

https://www.notateslaapp.com/news/764/tesla-to-add-ccs-connector-to-superchargers-in-the-us

Will drivers have to get two adapters (one for a Supercharger plug without CCS and one for a Supercharger plug with CCS)? Any clarifications are appreciated.
Sponsored

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
The new universal superchargers will have to have CCS plugs, I've read that in multiple sources

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
So what does your Taycan have in the US? In Europe we all have CCS sockets, even Tesla. EU requirement from years ago means we now have a standard socket on all EU cars

OP
OP
TXAG

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
So what does your Taycan have in the US? In Europe we all have CCS sockets, even Tesla. EU requirement from years ago means we now have a standard socket on all EU cars
I wish we had standards in place. In the USA, DC chargers plug into a receptacle containing J1772 and CCS. Only the CCS is used to charge:
Porsche Taycan USA White House:  All can charge at Tesla by end of 2022 1658077502696

Whereas if Tesla adds CCS the plug to their Superchargers it'll look like this (from the article)
Porsche Taycan USA White House:  All can charge at Tesla by end of 2022 1658077538614

I don't think this will plug into Taycans in the USA, hence my question whether two adapters are needed depending on whether the Supercharger is fitted or not fitted with CCS.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Whilst companies like Apple and Tesla might moan about standards and wanting to do their own thing a standard plug and socket doesn’t half make life easier for the consumer. A definite win for the EU here, even though we have now left them!

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I don't put much faith into anything that comes from the white house or DC

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Under the US infrastructure law 5 billion is set aside to build a national charging network, plus 2.5 billion for rural areas and disadvantaged areas. I think the law is in effect and Elon is looking for some Biden bucks.

And from DOT, to qualify "would require standard plugs, American-made EV chargers, minimum uptimes, data-sharing provisions and the ability for DC fast charging stations to simultaneously charge at least four vehicles at a minimum power of 150 kW "

Sometimes imposed standards are more useful than doing your own thing.

As Tesla chargers are 480-volts, the on-board 150 kw/400v DC charger will come in handy.

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S, '14 Lexus IS, '22 Hyundai Palisade
Country flag
Good I optioned the onboard 400V DC charger in our Taycan though the nearest EA charger is closer to my house than the nearest Tesla supercharger plus it’s free for another 2.5 years. I haven’t charged at home in months.

Nomoclutch

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Top is CCS-1 (US) and bottom is CCS-2 (everywhere else). Not sure what an “adapter” would physically look like and don’t Tesla SC need to specifically look to authenticate a valid Tesla VIN w/ SC rights?

I wish we had standards in place. In the USA, DC chargers plug into a receptacle containing J1772 and CCS. Only the CCS is used to charge:
1658077502696.png

Whereas if Tesla adds CCS the plug to their Superchargers it'll look like this (from the article)
1658077538614.png

I don't think this will plug into Taycans in the USA, hence my question whether two adapters are needed depending on whether the Supercharger is fitted or not fitted with CCS.

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
CCS drivers charging on a Tesla SuC would activate the charger through an app on their smartphone. The driver would have to setup an account on the Tesla app ahead of charging.

OP
OP
TXAG

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Top is CCS-1 (US) and bottom is CCS-2 (everywhere else). Not sure what an “adapter” would physically look like and don’t Tesla SC need to specifically look to authenticate a valid Tesla VIN w/ SC rights?
Thanks for pointing out the CCS differences 🙂. Tesla would have to update their Supercharger software to differentiate between Tesla / non-Tesla, but it's certainly doable considering how Elon wants the revenue.

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I will continue to be cautiously optimistic, recognizing that Tesla has promised quite a bit over the years. That said, I'd be ecstatic to have Tesla's DCFC network open to us. It would basically turn road trips into easy mode for many people. Even with free EA charging, I'd be tempted to pay extra if EA isn't able to get close to them in terms of reliability.

jheard

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MXP100D. Taycan 4S
Country flag
Authored by Jaclyn Trop in a TechCrunch online article on July 8, 2022:
https://techcrunch.com/2022/07/08/white-house-tesla-to-expand-its-u-s-supercharger-network-to-other-evs-in-late-2022/

The USA White House praised Tesla's plans to open its EV charger network to all by year-end 2022. To access Supercharger stations, drivers of other EVs will need to download Tesla's app and use an adapter.

But then there's another online article from May 11, 2022 saying Tesla is adding a CCS connector to their Superchargers:

https://www.notateslaapp.com/news/764/tesla-to-add-ccs-connector-to-superchargers-in-the-us

Will drivers have to get two adapters (one for a Supercharger plug without CCS and one for a Supercharger plug with CCS)? Any clarifications are appreciated.

This has already happened in Europe with quite a few Superchargers open to non Teslas using CCS which every car in Europe has as standard now. You use the Tesla app to authenticate and pay. Only issue is The Tesla chargers are a lot slower in reality than the other rapid chargers in the UK, providing around 100Kw v 250 speed
Sponsored