ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I posted this in a thread on custom phone holder ideas but thought it might be of interest to the general forum:

Link to original post and ref to my modified ashtray holder as a mag charger: #147 and other posts thereafter.

OK - results are in :)

Want ahead and tested the voltage and amperage from the rear (specifically the fast ) charging USB-C plugs and compared to the USB-C slots in the cubby of the console.

Bottomline is they are essentially identical which TBH surprised me! So yes the console multi-function ports appear to offer the same level of change capability as the rear dedicated charging ports.

Voltage/amperage fluctuates for example between having the iPhone awake vs asleep and even then to some degree in either state.

It is true that the highest amperage I briefly saw was in the rear at ca 1.5 A but the front reach 1.4+A too. Voltages from front and rear are essentially the same and varied from 5.15 to 5.19 averaging about 5.17 v (so indeed not up to more recent high voltage studs but thats OK for me).

Some pics (obviously with iPhone active) - when put to sleep mode the voltage and amperages decrease in both sets of ports.

Here is an example from one of the front console usb-c ports again with iPhone attached, charging and awake:

Porsche Taycan USB-C rear charging vs Console port voltages/amps measured img_0189-jpe

And here is an example again with iPhone attached, charging and awake from the rear seat charging usb-c port:

Porsche Taycan USB-C rear charging vs Console port voltages/amps measured img_0192-jpe

800v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks for measuring this!

.. but the real question is -- where can I buy those Porsche branded usb cables ? :cool:

PetroK

First Name
Petro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX, Porsche Taycan 4CT
Country flag
So max around 7.5W ?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Have you confirmed these Taycan USB-C only support 5V (no 9V, 15V, or 20V)? That would be disappointing to hear. Any relatively recent iPhone with USB-C to Lightening cable should negotiate 9V from USB-C as long as it has a sufficiently low battery level (SOC). I was thinking they would at least support 5V and 9V.

Last edited:

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
For android users, I would recommend to install the AccA app (advanced charging controller app). It does require root to manage charging (mine is set to only charge up to 85% like the car) but I think you can check the charging rate (amps voltage) without root. That would be interesting to see.

Cyberdriver888

First Name
Håkon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Have you confirmed these Taycan USB-C only support 5V (no 9V, 15V, or 20V)? That would be disappointing to hear. Any relatively recent iPhone with USB-C to Lightening cable should negotiate 9V from USB-C as long as it has a sufficiently low battery level (SOC). I was thinking they would at least support 5V and 9V.
I can confirm that the usb c ports only provides 5V, hence no power delivery.

For the iPhone 14 pro max (and Ip13 pro max) and IPad Pro (2018) I only get up to 3A. The maximum output I have seen is 15,3w. I tested with Apple usbc to lightning charge cable 1m (which has a 3A limitation on either voltage).

To supercharge either devices with up to 27w you will have to use a 12v cigarette to usb c PD adapter. I tested it and I have reached up to ~27w output charging these devices. iPhone @9v/3a and IPad Pro (2018)@15v/1,8a

(The newest M2 iPad pros will supposedly take up to ~35w @15v PD)

If anyone have different cable supporting more than 3A would be interesting to hear if you are able to draw more than 3Amps on 5V from these ports. That will conclude if these are basic Pre PD USB-c version 1 ports or if they are
BC 1.2. Definitely not power delivery.

EDIT: The Apple USBC to Lightning cable does support 5A. That concludes the rear USBC ports only delivering up to 15W. No PD.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I can confirm that the usb c ports only provides 5V, hence no power delivery.

For the iPhone 14 pro max (and Ip13 pro max) and IPad Pro (2018) I only get up to 3A. The maximum output I have seen is 15,3w. I tested with Apple usbc to lightning charge cable 1m (which has a 3A limitation on either voltage).

To supercharge either devices with up to 27w you will have to use a 12v cigarette to usb c PD adapter. I tested it and I have reached up to ~27w output charging these devices. iPhone @9v/3a and IPad Pro (2018)@15v/1,8a

(The newest M2 iPad pros will supposedly take up to ~35w @15v PD)

If anyone have different cable supporting more than 3A would be interesting to hear if you are able to draw more than 3Amps on 5V from these ports. That will conclude if these are basic Pre PD USB-c version 1 ports or if they are
BC 1.2. Definitely not power delivery.
Sad. Porsche had an opportunity to make an excellent product, instead they opt for adequate.

I wonder how difficult it would be retrofit. Maybe an idea for some entrepreneur to sell retrofit kits, though Taycan volumes probably don’t justify much investment in the idea.
Sponsored