Phoenix

First Name
Francisco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997 GTS, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Does anyone knows if a Taycan could be use (with any of the available adapters) be able to use a Tesla supercharger? Specifically in Europe with the CCS2
Sponsored

OP
OP
Phoenix

Phoenix

First Name
Francisco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997 GTS, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Mostly sure the answer is No. VW would have to pay Tesla for that.
Thanks, I used the weekend to read about the topic, and at least in Europe, we will be able to use the Tesla Destination chargers easily. Not as fast as the superchargers, but enough to get us going till IONITY extends the network

BobM

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, BMW E36 M3
Country flag
No, you'll be able to plug in to a Tesla Supercharger's CCS connection but you won't get any charge.

Be aware also that the Tesla destination chargers are configured in different ways. There will usually be one of them that is set up to charge any car with a Type 2 connector (white sign saying Electric Vehicles), the others will be configured for charging Teslas only (red sign saying Tesla Vehicles). They're configured via a dip switch inside the casing. In the UK most are 7kW but some have 3 phase and will do 11kW.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've always wondered if Tesla is really so stubborn about their superchargers or if they are waiting for other car manufacturers to get desperate enough to pay for the rights to use Tesla superchargers.

While the EU network of chargers is growing, the US network is very poor and the growth is mainly by EA which is notorious for poor charging stations. When you see companies like Jaguar, Audi, and soon Porsche struggling to sell EVs in the US despite the huge popularity, you have to wonder if they'll reach out to Tesla sooner or later.

I, for one, would immediately fully commit if even a portion of the Tesla network became available. I don't want a Tesla but the network in the US is legitimately 5-10 years ahead of the 3rd party network.

As for the original post, you can use some Tesla destination chargers with an adapter but it's inconsistent and no superchargers.

EnjoyTheDrive

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 993, MB C63 AMG 507, S2000, Nissan GTR, Tesla M3P Track option, Volvo XC40, BMW E30 325IX, Subaru Forester XT, (Had owned Tesla 85, Tesla P90D)
Country flag
I've always wondered if Tesla is really so stubborn about their superchargers or if they are waiting for other car manufacturers to get desperate enough to pay for the rights to use Tesla superchargers.

While the EU network of chargers is growing, the US network is very poor and the growth is mainly by EA which is notorious for poor charging stations. When you see companies like Jaguar, Audi, and soon Porsche struggling to sell EVs in the US despite the huge popularity, you have to wonder if they'll reach out to Tesla sooner or later.

I, for one, would immediately fully commit if even a portion of the Tesla network became available. I don't want a Tesla but the network in the US is legitimately 5-10 years ahead of the 3rd party network.

As for the original post, you can use some Tesla destination chargers with an adapter but it's inconsistent and no superchargers.

This has nothing to do with Tesla being stubborn. They built their supercharger infrastructure with their own money (and before you go into govt. loans, tesla is the only car manufacturer to pay the govt. back in FULL). All Tesla is asking is for other/all car manufacturers to pay their fair share to support the Tesla Supercharger network if those car manufacturers choose to be part of it. Most people would think that is more than fair since they had the forethought to build out and start the network way back in 2012/2013 in the first place. These other car manufacturers want tesla to fail so they do not even have to go into EV’s. But, they will go in kicking and screaming and most likely will bankrupt themselves since it costs lot of money for EV R&D and new manufacturing facilities. These other car manufacturers know that they will, over time, be cannabilizing their own ICE cars, and that is why, up until this present time, ICE car manufacturers have been building compliance cars and not real EV’s .

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This has nothing to do with Tesla being stubborn. They built their supercharger infrastructure with their own money (and before you go into govt. loans, tesla is the only car manufacturer to pay the govt. back in FULL). All Tesla is asking is for other/all car manufacturers to pay their fair share to support the Tesla Supercharger network if those car manufacturers choose to be part of it.
I totally agree. What I meant by stubborn was we don't know if these other car manufacturers have gone to Tesla with reasonable offers and been rejected. It could be that VW group offered a ton of money to Tesla for rented use of Superchargers and Tesla still said no. If VW group specifically has not made a large offer to Tesla, they're being foolish. I also don't know enough to say whether it's more in Tesla's interest to keep exclusivity or rent out usage. There seems to be pros and cons to either action.

EnjoyTheDrive

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 993, MB C63 AMG 507, S2000, Nissan GTR, Tesla M3P Track option, Volvo XC40, BMW E30 325IX, Subaru Forester XT, (Had owned Tesla 85, Tesla P90D)
Country flag
I totally agree. What I meant by stubborn was we don't know if these other car manufacturers have gone to Tesla with reasonable offers and been rejected. It could be that VW group offered a ton of money to Tesla for rented use of Superchargers and Tesla still said no. If VW group specifically has not made a large offer to Tesla, they're being foolish. I also don't know enough to say whether it's more in Tesla's interest to keep exclusivity or rent out usage. There seems to be pros and cons to either action.

Got it. I think we would have heard if ANY car manufacturer went to tesla and asked to join in. Musk would welcome this and I do think he would be reasonable. Musk wants the world to be full of EV vs. ICE cars to cut down on pollution.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
My Taycan will be my 4th EV (if you count my i8) and I've never so much as seen a public charger let alone used one. Over 70% of EV owners simply charge at home...

...and why would you think that Tesla is "stubborn" if they built and paid for that network for the benefit of their owners? (a Model X is my daily driver) Would you let everyone/anyone in your neighborhood swim in your pool?

EnjoyTheDrive

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My Taycan will be my 4th EV (if you count my i8) and I've never so much as seen a public charger let alone used one. Over 70% of EV owners simply charge at home...

...and why would you think that Tesla is "stubborn" if they built and paid for that network for the benefit of their owners? (a Model X is my daily driver) Would you let everyone/anyone in your neighborhood swim in your pool?

Please see PanameraFranks last response. Both of us misunderstood him and he agreed with what I wrote and, what you wrote. I won’t go off on a rant, but I am still amazed at all of the Tesla haters out there. Give them props for putting out a car (never mind it is an EV) that competes with the best ICE cars on the market. We already know it is 110% better than Any EV on the market including anything that MB, Jag or audi has put out so far.

Dyefrog

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
I just want to mention the criteria to join the supercharger network also requires a high rate of charging capability for obvious reasons. The Porsche would certainly qualify but something like the bolt would be denied membership.

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Porsche should pay Tesla for access to the supercharger network, the volume of Porsches won’t impact Tesla supercharger capacity.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Porsche should pay Tesla for access to the supercharger network, the volume of Porsches won’t impact Tesla supercharger capacity.
what elon would charge for access would impact porsche

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
This has been brought up for a long time, that Tesla could offer paid access to other EVs and actually make good money. BUT Tesla would lose what is still a strong advantage for their cars until the US network becomes good enough. And by then it may not be worth it.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
No way Tesla is going to give up its competitive advantage unless prodded or its customers demand it. When Volkswagen agreed to set up EA under the consent decree, it agreed to open its chargers to all EV's. A gift to Tesla which is unlikely to be reciprocated without some coercion.
Sponsored