Use of Tesla superchargers

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Sounds like a smart move. Also cheaper, right?
Yep. Plus it's free for 3 years and charges faster than my 2020 Tesla ever did. (at least in US)
Sponsored

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag
Yep. Plus it's free for 3 years and charges faster than my 2020 Tesla ever did. (at least in US)

Agree with the following provision. EA for trips, absolutely. My GA Power rate nets out to about $.04 / KWh. ($.01 / KWh + $.03 / KWh fuel adjustment taxes etc). I topped off my battery yesterday at EA. 66% -> 80%. About 13 KWh. Took 12 minutes total time at the charger.

If I calculate that out, I saved $.52 for 12 minutes of my time. Said differently, that's about $2.60 per hour. I haven't billed my time out at that rate since I was 16, a long time ago......

Think I'll pass on the "free" charging when I'm home and can Level 2 charge there.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Think I'll pass on the "free" charging when I'm home and can Level 2 charge there.
I'm always charging at home for daily use. DC/EA only road trips.
Cost for me at home is the same as when the Tesla was in service. ~$.50 per day (off-peak charging)

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
you seem to take elon at his word. those of us who have owned tesla's cars or stock a long time know better than to trust any of his promises. even if tesla is able to accomplish the task of opening their chargers, it is a long ways off.
as others have noted that while having the option to use a tesla charger is great, expanding the places to charge that they will stick to the EA system.
Wasn't trying to say it's better or worse, just reporting what I read. The whole thing of course is just tweets right now.

It's not about whether I would "switch from EA or stick with it" - EA is free and provides 350 kw (sometimes), why would we use Tesla for anything other than a Plan B? I was just saying "looks like this is what our Plan B might look like in 1-2 years".

But since you bring up the stock, I can't help it: TSLA has treated me better in the last 5 years than VWAGY ever has. And Winterkorn & Co made plenty of promises they didn't live up to... But I digress.
Sponsored